Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-12-2010, 11:48 PM   #151
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Commodore 38407
Private 9947
Non Private (aka fleet) 28460

Falcon 25209
Private 4893
Non Private (aka fleet). 20316

Holden sell over 8000 more cars to fleet, which are typically not driven by brand loyalty....
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2010, 12:16 AM   #152
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Depends on your point of view. Falcon sell more to fleets as a percentage of Falcon sales while Commodore sell more to fleets in outright sales.
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2010, 12:17 AM   #153
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT
you know nothing about Holden / Ford production.. Ford / Holden build all their dec cars before christmas holiday shut down and plate them as december...
Let me guess Dash, you happen to work on the ford line in broadmeadows, as well as the Holden line in elizabeth. Take a peak at Elizabeth before december and you will see very little stored cars before they go into the sales yard, then take a peak as the holidays are upon us, and you will see more cars stored, pre sales.

Well I dont know what Ford do, as I dont have first hand experience, but as for the commodore, lets just say in certain years when stock levels are quite high in the lasts months of the year, I beg to differ with you.

Quote:
Commodore 38407
Private 9947
Non Private (aka fleet) 28460

Falcon 25209
Private 4893
Non Private (aka fleet). 20316
All one can truely decipher from the fleet statistics are that government and rental are truely fleet. In regards to "fleet" or "large fleet", alot of these tend to go to "privates" who choose the car, but go thru fleets for slary sacrifice etc.

What is appalling tho, is that only one government has an incentive to buy the commodores (south australian), and yet Ford manufacture in a state that is a few times larger (in popultion ) than south australia, and only picks up half the government business.
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2010, 12:50 AM   #154
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthebilda
Let me guess Dash, you happen to work on the ford line in broadmeadows, as well as the Holden line in elizabeth. Take a peak at Elizabeth before december and you will see very little stored cars before they go into the sales yard, then take a peak as the holidays are upon us, and you will see more cars stored, pre sales.
Ford will run the line out before Christmas shut down (for maintenance), but a certain amount of shells will be covered up and taken outside and then put back on the line in Jan when production starts up.

Quote:
What is appalling tho, is that only one government has an incentive to buy the commodores (south australian), and yet Ford manufacture in a state that is a few times larger (in popultion ) than south australia, and only picks up half the government business.
Problem is Holden, Ford and Toyota all have in interest in Vic with them either doing design, production or both.
Old 13-12-2010, 10:24 AM   #155
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
Bottom line
Falcon gets 34.61/37, Commodore gets 33.45/37... I dont care what you say the offical rating of both cars currenlty status Falcon is safer (Future rating are not inportant right now).... This is what the sales men should be usng to sell the Falcon on a safety front!!
The difference is mainly in the frontal test and in the driver/passenger shin area,
I expect some slight modification to both car will see that injury score improve.
There's not really that much between the two and possibly enough said that both are 5 star
and not much to be gained pointing out the difference to buyers....

Just be aware that the next batch of testing will be much tougher, Jaguar's XF has already
fallen foul overseas and received only 4 stars when previously it would have scored 5.
Most likely, both manufacturers will ride their 5 star accreditation as long as they can
before having to retest.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2010, 10:41 AM   #156
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT
Commodore 38407
Private 9947
Non Private (aka fleet) 28460 (74.1%)

Falcon 25209
Private 4893
Non Private (aka fleet). 20316 (80.5%)
Holden sell over 8000 more cars to fleet, which are typically not driven by brand loyalty....
fixed
burnz is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2010, 10:49 AM   #157
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

A lot of those "non privates" are actually novated leases and those employees
get to chose their own car, brand loyalty and cost are major considerations.

Assuming that non private is just fleet is very misleading,
a big group of quasi private buyers hide under that banner.
Old 13-12-2010, 07:29 PM   #158
stevz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
Bottom line
Falcon gets 34.61/37, Commodore gets 33.45/37... I dont care what you say the offical rating of both cars currenlty status Falcon is safer (Future rating are not inportant right now).... This is what the sales men should be usng to sell the Falcon on a safety front!!
Form memory the Holden Cruze scores 35.xx/37, so using your logic that makes it a far safer car than the FG or the Commo.
stevz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2010, 08:10 PM   #159
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevz
Form memory the Holden Cruze scores 35.xx/37, so using your logic that makes it a far safer car than the FG or the Commo.
If that is what it scored then 100% yes!!! It is not my logic, this is based on real testing.. Crash the cars & see what happens, give then a scored.. The one with the highest score is the safest.. Not hard to understand really!!
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2010, 08:18 PM   #160
prydey
Rob

ancap ratings are a bit tricky when comparing cars of various shapes and sizes and masses. do the cars get crashed into a solid object of similar weight, or a stationary object etc. doesn't really represent a large vehicle hitting a small vehicle.
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2010, 09:31 PM   #161
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
ancap ratings are a bit tricky when comparing cars of various shapes and sizes and masses. do the cars get crashed into a solid object of similar weight, or a stationary object etc. doesn't really represent a large vehicle hitting a small vehicle.
They're standardised tests so a direct comparison can be done with other vehciles
I can only suggest you check out the ANCAP website and make up your own mind...
Old 13-12-2010, 10:20 PM   #162
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
They're standardised tests so a direct comparison can be done with other vehciles
I can only suggest you check out the ANCAP website and make up your own mind...
in the offset one it simulates a car of similar mass travelling at the same speed. change a couple of those parameters and things could be a lot different. if a small car is hit by a much larger one travelling at much greater speed, i wonder if the point score will be the same.

they are fairly relevant class v class, but when you start comparing cars from different classes, its not quite that simple.
Old 13-12-2010, 10:36 PM   #163
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
in the offset one it simulates a car of similar mass travelling at the same speed. change a couple of those parameters and things could be a lot different. if a small car is hit by a much larger one travelling at much greater speed, i wonder if the point score will be the same.

they are fairly relevant class v class, but when you start comparing cars from different classes, its not quite that simple.
It wouldn't make any difference due to conservation of momentum,
after the crash, the excess force would result in either a slight forward or backward motion.
Unless you're talking about a runover situation with a much larger truck/semi, then other factors would apply....
Old 13-12-2010, 11:15 PM   #164
prydey
Rob

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pVF1...eature=related

this is just a random clip which doesn't actually have any results listed so not sure of what the outcome of passengers was likely to be. fiat 500 is 5 star, audi q7 is 4 star. on that basis, you would say the fiat is safer than the audi??

i still believe, the ratings are only relevant when compared to vehicles of same class.