Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 02-10-2010, 04:12 PM   #61
WMD351
Size it up

Agreed, I certainly don't advocate giving up, just pointing out what has happened many times throughout history.
I advise growing a mo and hardening up. Just get on with it and take the good with the bad. Like everything, there's some good and some bad in all of it, but the good should (hopefully) outweigh the bad in the end.
WMD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2010, 04:17 PM   #62
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

Well said WMD.
charles_wif_xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2010, 09:53 AM   #63
zdcol71
zdcol71

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Tonko]

As far as 70's being more courteous, polite and better educated. Why don't you look at the people who raised us! Geezus i'm sick of people cracking it about our generation when it's all about who gave us the morality and ways of the world.
There's always been two types of teachers tonko..Those who do and those who don't. Some get "taught" by those that don't and end up with no morality or knowledge of the ways of the world. Others get taught by those that do, and end up with some sort of moral compass, and a little bit of respect for those who have gone before and have had to make a few more significant decisions than what skin to wrap my iPhone in today.
(many others just don't go to "school")
Old 04-10-2010, 12:43 AM   #64
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
My view:

Phones are for making phone calls and sending messages
If I want to use the net, I'll go on my computer
Well said! I couldn't agree more! It's no wonder the current generation of puss heads can't spell, read or write correctly. SMS speak really ****** me off!
Rep points to you!
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2010, 11:40 AM   #65
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 XC
Heres the killer,
The government stopped parental control from peoples OWN children
Did getting the belt from dad REALLY hurt that MUCH
Did we play up again, hell no
You had more respect for parents and people in general
IF you were bought home by the lads you were real bad

So no more given ya kids a clip behind the ear
(Seriously are we all that AFFECTED from that )?????

So no parental control,then woops, we have all these little demons running around

Government s solution
OH blame the parents
Like WTF
Take the control away, then blame them

Thats todays generation,sorry
I cant have this or that
Blame the parents cause they didnt work hard enuf or didnt leave a house or assets in the will

Gives yas an inch and ya want a mile
The gov especially the ALP likes to be devoted to the lowest common denominator.
I was on jury duty and 3 out of the 12 said they were abused by a violent alcoholic father.
So because there are some sick trash people out there, do we all have to be put in the same boat.
Some people only look to the gov to help them out with everything and they are happy with big bro so called protecting there interest usually they are just short sighted narrow minded selfish fools.
But some may think if we serve the good of the nation first then everything will work out well.
I am convinced that our society and the direction we are heading is doomed to fail.
Why because it foundations are being eroded by selfish trash people.
And all you have to do is study the Bible to comprehend why it will be so.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2010, 01:06 PM   #66
max
LWBforME

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles_wif_xf
What we are experiencing isn't evolution and progress, it's devolution and regress.
This line merits some kind of FF Inaugural Literary Award!
max is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2010, 03:55 PM   #67
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Alcohol abuse , physical abuse towards children in general has been happening since the dawn of time
But the problem with this sorta stuff (kinda a bit of topic heading in this direction)
Is its bad habits and behaviour handed down to the next generation
Getting beaten by parents,the children think this is the norm,and thats why this behaviour happens by the next generation
Not all the time and some shudder the thought of this continuing
These issues are more out in the open nowadays
But alcohol abuse,kiddy fiddlers,beaten ya kids (whatever the issues)ect ect
Are splashed in the papers,the news,on the net
But it still happens

Whats the future hold ???,well who knows
The drinkers of today drink to get smashed,over time this takes its toll

But saying your parents where abusive(phsically,emotionally ect)
Doesnt mean its ok to continue these bad traits

Kids getting beaten at school,and want to sue the school board ???
Seriously how many kids were beaten or threaten at school and just moved to another school
Getting a clip behind the ear from the teacher for playing up,or the cuts ect
It made us (well some of us)who we are

Getting the belt from your father for doin wrong as opposed to beaten near an inch of your life is different (isnt it)
But is it lack of parental control why kids are why they are ???
Or is its people beleifs that all of lifes experiences have to be met regardless of any ripple effects ???
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2010, 08:39 PM   #68
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by max
or to count without a calculator.
Last time I did maths without a calculator was in Grade 6, I finished Year 12 last year and from year 7 onwards, maths is all calculator based, even more so in VCE.

Oh yeah, last year, they took out compound interest from the curriculum because its "too hard". You know, the thing you actually need to know for real life, linear regressions and matrices have helped me SO MUCH in life..... Not.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2010, 11:09 PM   #69
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
So it is someone else's fault, blame them.......yep....
Well you didn't dissect my post for once.
I do not see the problem with what i said, who teaches morals, values and whatever else people are complaining about to todays youths?

What's stopping these 'youngins' from teaching their parents?
Hell, i spent 2 days teaching my old man and nonna how to use google.
I'm sure there was new technology for the older generation to learn in their day. (EFI, computers, glam rock)

Did you say (or god forbid, think) your parents were out of touch?

So what's your gripe Flappist? i know alot of my generation are jerks that need a kick in the head. But what is it that really grinds your gears?
I do not mean this in a combative or malicious way, just curiosity...

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2010, 11:23 PM   #70
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdcol71
There's always been two types of teachers tonko..Those who do and those who don't. Some get "taught" by those that don't and end up with no morality or knowledge of the ways of the world. Others get taught by those that do, and end up with some sort of moral compass, and a little bit of respect for those who have gone before and have had to make a few more significant decisions than what skin to wrap my iPhone in today.
(many others just don't go to "school")
Good reply, it's made me really think....
Basically, It comes back to good and bad eggs (teachers) in all generations. As the saying goes, "bad news travels faster than good"

Lets take last Thursday in good ol' country Victoria for example, i went to our local shop/post office for a pie and coke, held the door for an older bloke and let him go first. He left, got abused and threatened by some kid around 17 for looking at him 'funny' (the kid was sitting on the mailbox out the front) Now, myself and the shop owners son, we are the same age (23) went out to help this bloke to the car, physically restrain and tell the kid to nick off.

He told the family all about this mongrel kid that hassled a vet which is disgusting i agree... But not about the other 5 30-50 y.o's that sat around 2m away at a table while we helped him out.

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2010, 11:35 PM   #71
paule11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

People will be having the same conversations in 1000 years they would have had the same conversations 1000s of years ago.Would have been people building the pyramids who were talking how much better it wa under the last Pharoah.

One thing that surprised me was a young army guy a few years ago said he couldnt sleep on a Saturday night he said to me you know how you start texting to get sex, I said I had no idea what he was talking about.
At 2 in the morning he started texting all the girls on his phone trying to get some one to come around .
I told him we didnt have mobiles when I was young we had v8 cars leaded petrol and long hair and we used to go cruising at night for something to do because we only had 2 tv channels.
paule11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2010, 09:29 AM   #72
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Holding the doors open for elderly,or even others in close distance
That would be certainly a moral thing
But alas something thats long forgotten
Gee i go down the local store someones not 3 foot in front of me ,
90 % of the time the door slams before i get there

How many youngsters stand up for older people on public transport ???
Not many last time i seen

Then we have these grubs who deface grave stones of the dead,
or deface war time monuments
Thats a respect thing
Years ago for the young may have seemed easier,
But growing up in war time im really glad i didnt
Noone born after the war really dont know how better of we are

Maybe we should get these little grubs running loose around here and sent them to war torn areas and let them know how grand life really is here in aussie land
Old 05-10-2010, 05:26 PM   #73
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
My view:

Phones are for making phone calls and sending messages
If I want to use the net, I'll go on my computer

If I want to use my phone to get a laser beam to scratch my **** for me, I'll just use my finger instead.

I think people immerse themselves too much in mobile technology nowadays. At work during lunch, people don't talk to each other. Everybody has their heads down with their fancy touch-screen phones that come with an $80 monthly contract to look up things on the net when we have computers nearby.

We have people who as soon as they leave the house, put in the earphones and disconnect from the world around them. As it becomes easier to carry things with us, we're becoming more ignorant and insular.

The world of people is a wretched place that we have created, but the beauty of nature (untouched by man) is a fantastic place to be it is there that you'll realise just what a hold technology has on us all. I'm a computer addict, but I always enjoy going up to the Victorian Alpine Region to camp for a couple of nights. My phone is useless, and we have nothing that resembles electronic technology, except for our cars.

Get out, smell the fresh air, listen to the birds. So much nicer than all that noise they call 'music' nowadays.

You will feel better for it.
There you go again. Ruining 3+ pages of laughs with common sense
Old 05-10-2010, 05:38 PM   #74
zdcol71
zdcol71

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Tonko]
Good reply, it's made me really think....
Basically, It comes back to good and bad eggs (teachers) in all generations. As the saying goes, "bad news travels faster than good"

Lets take last Thursday in good ol' country Victoria for example, i went to our local shop/post office for a pie and coke, held the door for an older bloke and let him go first. He left, got abused and threatened by some kid around 17 for looking at him 'funny' (the kid was sitting on the mailbox out the front) Now, myself and the shop owners son, we are the same age (23) went out to help this bloke to the car, physically restrain and tell the kid to nick off.

He told the family all about this mongrel kid that hassled a vet which is disgusting i agree... But not about the other 5 30-50 y.o's that sat around 2m away at a table while we helped him out.
Don't ever think there is a reward for doing the right thing!! I am 50+ and still expect to get off my fat **** to give my seat to an older person than me, I was taught by some "good eggs", but more so ,actually took the lesson on board
Old 05-10-2010, 06:30 PM   #75
JimNiki
71Mach1

my Aunty Gladys told us that she was on the tram one day sitting down.
There was a middle aged dad with his 14 year old boy sitting next to him.
As the Tram filled up there was plenty standing.

somehow the little boy instinctively started to stand up for an old lady who was standing 2 feet away from him. His father grabbed him and shoved him back into his seat and said: You're not going anywhere, I've paid full price for your seat...

No-one said a word but Glad was just horrified ...
violets are #0000FF
all my base
are belong to you
JimNiki is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2010, 08:46 PM   #76
fmc351
let it burn

Im 41, this is one conversation Ive been hearing all my life. And yes, I cant stand half the cr4p my kid listens to, I often hear my old mans words coming from me, but I download half of said music for him and then complain when he cranks the stereo I bought for him. I just asked him to get off facebook and do some homework or study instead of 'chatting' with various girls from his school, all while i sit here typing this. Its not hypocrtitcal, he needs to learn, I've already been through it, hopefully he will be able to do the same for his kids, but NOT YET god damn you facebook!

now get off my lawn.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2010, 03:07 PM   #77
Fled74
The Thread Killa

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimNiki
my Aunty Gladys told us that she was on the tram one day sitting down.
There was a middle aged dad with his 14 year old boy sitting next to him.
As the Tram filled up there was plenty standing.

somehow the little boy instinctively started to stand up for an old lady who was standing 2 feet away from him. His father grabbed him and shoved him back into his seat and said: You're not going anywhere, I've paid full price for your seat...

No-one said a word but Glad was just horrified ...

I was on a tram several years ago and offered my seat to a middle-aged lady. She declined, and looked amused that I'd even consider such a thing. Since it would have been awkward for me to just sit back down, I offered it to a younger girl, who took it without a word of thanks.
So much for politeness.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Fled74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2010, 04:33 PM   #78
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Yeah not everyone in this world is grateful, and I didn't think it had gotten to me until I found myself emulating the very behavior I said I wouldn't. I'd paid for a full fare ticket, people were standing, and instead of offering it to a girl around my age standing I thought "bugger her I paid -.." and that's when I caught myself, thought of what an *** I was being and offered her the seat, which she politely declined

My pet hate however, is when you get the cranky old people yelling at you to "MOVE!" just because they HAVE to walk in a straight line! I've had a few when I was younger that were so abusive and ferocious I thought were going to tear my eyeballs out through my knee caps!
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2010, 12:18 AM   #79
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
There you go again. Ruining 3+ pages of laughs with common sense
Ohh...sorry..my bad!

im such a cool prsn coz my fone can open my garage door, perform open <3 surgery and once in a while I actually make a call on it

i cant stand people with old phones there such loosers i believe that a fone sez sumthin about who u r and is rly important

fonez dont rly affect ability 2 read and write or spel and spelchekerz r legit and stuff

computers r sooo 90s get with the times

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2010, 10:59 AM   #80
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wow it must b ruly kool 2 hav a fone what like dat u got uranium def
Me fought my 2 tins and bitta string was kool

Got 1 of dem ol fonz dat ya have 2 wind up b4 day work 2

Even got an old adding machine,wat day called abacus

Seriously i keep up reasonably with the times,probably about a dozen or so old mobile fones kicken around here (they still turn on but cant use them any more)
Still got the old plug into the wall telephone as well where you have to dial the numbers
But it still works ,
Technology its great
Old 11-10-2010, 03:05 PM   #81
XlR8TED

This article reminded me of the thread...

http://www.sci-tech-today.com/story....26M7EAS&page=1

Nothing new here, folks :P
XlR8TED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post