Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 22-09-2010, 03:41 PM   #1
redauxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Which shop to buy from?

I want to purchase an XR50 kit for my AU XR, I am either goin to purchase from SSV or The Spoiler Shop. I live in WA so The Spoilershop seems like the best option, however, SSV (in Sydney) offered the kit for about 600 bucks less and postage is even cheaper (from sydney).

Has anyone bought a Fibreglass part/kit for their car from either of these vendors? Im more concerned with quality of price.

Cheers

redauxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2010, 07:11 PM   #2
T3man
Banned

Buy the cheapest one you can - put the money you save aside for when you have to repair it later.
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2010, 07:17 PM   #3
redauxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3man
Buy the cheapest one you can - put the money you save aside for when you have to repair it later.
I can afford to buy 10 of these kits if i want with my new job. i know fibreglass isnt the best, but its to hard to find a genuine t3 kit and p250 front end.
Old 22-09-2010, 07:25 PM   #4
T3man
Banned

Don't waste your money on 10 kits - four or five should do you for a few years.
Old 22-09-2010, 07:27 PM   #5
HLC
Audi S3

Google fibresports or awc. Get it from them and save the money for te prep work that will most definately be needed.
Old 22-09-2010, 07:37 PM   #6
redauxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3man
Don't waste your money on 10 kits - four or five should do you for a few years.
dont know what i did to deserve such smart *** answers mate? iv seen heaps of fibreglass kits that do well.
Old 22-09-2010, 09:25 PM   #7
AUIIPURSUIT
pursuit ute baby

hes just being a T series elitest redauxr8. Fibreglass is fine so long as youre careful and the moulds are of decent quality.

the only thing you need to be careful of is sagging in the larger spans. asides from that, theres always going to be some prep work before its ready to paint, but thats nothing serious. Any decenty panel beater will happily make it fit snug.

as for which is a better buy, im not sure, but theres *definately* differing qualities in fibreglass, so be careful of the really cheap options...

cheers
Old 22-09-2010, 10:00 PM   #8
T3man
Banned

My first reply was not being smart *** at all - I was totally serious.

Your comeback prompted my smart *** response. Sorry for that.

I'm not elitist. Just a pragmatist. Anyone who thinks fibreglass nose cones are fine on an AU have never had any experience with one.

You will have serious issues with trying to support the weight, as the car is simply not designed for it - even the OE bar covers (yes the ones on my T3s) deform and sag over time because they are unable to be supported correctly.

Furthermore you risk damage to more expensive parts of your car by fitting fibreglass products - shock loads are not absorbed, and transfer directly to the mounting points - the most solid mounting points on an AU are the front guards and there is the real probability that you will damage your guards in a short time. I have seen it happen on every single car that I have seen (that is probably about 10-12 cars) that has had fiberglass XR50 fronts fitted.

My advice is seek out those people on the forum who've done it and ask their honest experience.
Old 23-09-2010, 06:26 PM   #9
AUIIPURSUIT
pursuit ute baby

fair enough.

i cant speak for the AU front end personally, but ive seen plenty of other cars (albeit smaller) run perfect fibreglass bars, with no quarterpanels bending etc. Of course there is plenty of FRP horror stories and plastic is always more desirable. Whilst FRP maY LOOK it, they are not a direct fit item and reinforcements to prevent aforementioned sagging would be required.
Old 25-09-2010, 08:35 AM   #10
veqlargh

I've order some stuff from ssv before. Came pretty quick and seemed of good enough quality. Have not had it long to enough to give it a good run in. Getting more of a body kit put on atm.
veqlargh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2010, 08:41 AM   #11
Day-mow
rexnet

I hav a glass te50 front and it's fine. No pulling or anything.
It does have a hole in the front but that's my fault

Remember it is the internet,So beware of trolls, If you argue with trolls the kids will laugh at you

Follow me on twitter @ Day_mow
Day-mow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post