Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 31-08-2010, 01:53 AM   #1
imaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default After market DVD player

I have an LS 06 focus, South African built.

Thinking of replacing the head unit with this:

http://www.ipmart.com/main/product/C...php?prod=68221

I'm wondering if the wiring harness is as simple as plug and go with the existing harness? I remember the South African built had a different harness to those that were built in UK...

Another question is, this unit supports remote stearing controls, do you think I could use the existing stearing controls with this head unit?

Anyone done anything similar to this?

Imaz

2009 FG Falcon XR6 Sedan, Octane.
2012 WK2 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, Mineral Grey.
imaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2010, 10:33 AM   #2
leakey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Pretty sure standard harness and plug. I've been looking at these too, for quite a while.

Cant recall who it was mentioned that nearly all of these have a huge delay when turning on, unlike our stock units.

Keen to see how it turns out for you. Please post results if you go ahead.

Leakey
Old 01-09-2010, 12:48 PM   #3
dazzingo
Starter Motor

Smile

Hey, I'm thinking of buying one of these as well, so keep us all posted!
dazzingo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2010, 11:28 PM   #4
Loris
Focus & Territory TDCi

anyone know if this will work on a 2008 tdci LT?

it only says Focus II 2005-2007.. im hoping that it will cause it looks pretty good for that price.
Loris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2010, 12:01 AM   #5
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: This member has made a few valuable contributions to the Forum in the Focus section, seems to know exactly what he is talking about with his posts, which are helpful and concise. 

There has been a little talk of these units over the past couple years. Might be a good idea to look here:

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11279247&page=1&pp=30
(including post #46)

Its probably a little harder to pick the decent generic units from the terrible ones with them all having an unfamiliar name. Maybe Google a number of units to get an idea about what people are saying about them on other forums.

Personally, I seriously looked at going with a similar option, but for me I don't see a need for a DVD player in my Focus, already have a Navman (conveniently acquired from my FIL) that I only occasionally use, and want a brand name I trust with service in Australia. In fact, the brand I'm going to install has their HQ (and technical support) only 10 mins from where I live.

Good luck with it, am sure you'll enjoy whichever option you take.
Lower airbox removed, K&N Panel filter
Momo gear knob + boot + pedals, Ghia boot garnish, Zetec Chrome interior door handles
JVC KW-XR816 Headunit + more to come...

#Russ#Es# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2010, 12:04 AM   #6
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: This member has made a few valuable contributions to the Forum in the Focus section, seems to know exactly what he is talking about with his posts, which are helpful and concise. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loris
anyone know if this will work on a 2008 tdci LT?

it only says Focus II 2005-2007.. im hoping that it will cause it looks pretty good for that price.
You would need something like this:

http://www.ipmart.com/main/product/C...hp?prod=150752
Momo gear knob + boot + pedals, Ghia boot garnish, Zetec Chrome interior door handles

Old 03-09-2010, 06:52 PM   #7
Loris
Focus & Territory TDCi

Quote:
Originally Posted by #Russ#Es#
You would need something like this:

http://www.ipmart.com/main/product/C...hp?prod=150752
hmm that looks nothing like my stock one.. the stock one in my 2008 tdci looks like the one the original poster is looking to buy
Old 04-09-2010, 02:26 PM   #8
Velociraptor82
Eat my Brake Dust

If I unserstand it correctly. The LS has the square shaped head unit and the LT/LV have the rounded shape.

I also have the square shape however I installed the rounded SONY headunit from an XR5 with no issues. Just needed to make a few new screw holes and the XR5 fascia.
Small Ford Sunday 2010 - Best Modified Car presented by the EuroFord Club

If I'm going to Hell, I'm going in a Ford

Velociraptor82 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2010, 06:49 PM   #9
leakey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

LTs also have the rectangle (square) hole. Later LTs and Ghia's had the elliptical,
as well as the later XR5s too I believe.

I was looking for an insert part that turns the rectangle hole in to an elliptical hole.
They are around, but bugger me I cant find one!

Easier to find the whole elliptical hole dash part.

Regards the GPS system, I kinda prefer the bigger rectangular unit!
Old 04-09-2010, 07:10 PM   #10
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leakey
LTs also have the rectangle (square) hole. Later LTs and Ghia's had the elliptical,

I was looking for an insert part that turns the rectangle hole in to an elliptical hole.

Thanks for clearing that up Leakey, for some reason I was under the impression all LT/LV's had the elliptical hole. I was looking into the elliptical hole at one stage but am sure I read somewhere that the hole dash part is mounted differently than the round one...happy to be proven wrong though!

Another DVD/GPS/etc system is one from these guys: http://www.autodvdgps.com/ford-navig...-c-38_145.html

They have good support from what I've read, and are one of the bigger players for these units in China.

Old 04-09-2010, 10:40 PM   #11
imaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by leakey

Hi,

I know what your talking about, I saw the bezzel on ebay once...

Imaz

2009 FG Falcon XR6 Sedan, Octane.
2012 WK2 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, Mineral Grey.
imaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2010, 09:48 AM   #12
Loris
Focus & Territory TDCi

Quote:
Thanks for clearing that up Leakey, for some reason I was under the impression all LT/LV's had the elliptical hole. I was looking into the elliptical hole at one stage but am sure I read somewhere that the hole dash part is mounted differently than the round one...happy to be proven wrong though!

Another DVD/GPS/etc system is one from these guys: http://www.autodvdgps.com/ford-navig...-c-38_145.html

They have good support from what I've read, and are one of the bigger players for these units in China.
Im more inclined to buy from this mob rather then ipmart.. your right their support looks ALOT better, with 12months warranty..
IPMart dont offer any warranty at all!

For anyone interested here is ipmarts warranty conditions: http://www.ipmart.com/main/text_warranty_terms.php

Autodvdgps: http://www.autodvdgps.com/page.html?id=25

Im probably going to buy one of these http://www.autodvdgps.com/oem-autora...dsn0j86v60qll7
Old 06-09-2010, 10:04 AM   #13
Velociraptor82
Eat my Brake Dust

Quote:
You are correct. The rectangular head unit uses some aluminum clips which attach it to the fascia. You have to use spacial keys to remove the head unit first. Then you can get to the screws to removed the fascia. The elliptical head unit needs to be put in first and screwed directly into the dash (You'll need to make new screw holes for this). Then the matching fascia just snaps into place over the top.

See here: post #27
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11271210
Small Ford Sunday 2010 - Best Modified Car presented by the EuroFord Club

If I'm going to Hell, I'm going in a Ford

Velociraptor82 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2010, 01:35 PM   #14
leakey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Forgotten that thread! It does look good, still.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:43 PM   #15
Loris
Focus & Territory TDCi

Anyone know if the Australian Focus has the can-bus system?

I just purchased a head unit and the seller wants to know if my car has can-bus..

This is what she wrote: this unit does not have can-bus box, if your car also does not have can-bus box, the steering wheel control system can be used.

Does anyone know?
Old 07-09-2010, 01:28 PM   #16
rand0mn00b

August 2007 LT Focus Zetec here - rectangular
rand0mn00b is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post