Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 31-07-2010, 07:09 PM   #1
ayeyew
Teh Baest

Default What causes brake pads to be permanently pressed against rotor?

My right front brake started making grinding noises yesterday, I noticed that even when i was not braking (particularly at low speed) the grinding noise was still evident, making it seem like the pads were still pressed against the rotor, even when my foot was not on the brake pedal. I bought new pads today, put the girl up and rotated the right front wheel and the grinding noise was evident.

Changed the pads, the inside pad on the right front was bare, but the outside pad on the right front was still very meaty. The inside of the right rotor was severly scratched, i am going to replace them next time i need pads.

The pads on the left were still meaty also, but i replaced them anyway.

After i replaced the pads and put the wheel back on, it was near impossible to make the wheel rotate. I took it for a quick drive (2-3 mins), came back, jacked her up and, yep still damn near impossible to make ther wheel rotate.
I put my hand on the middle of the right rotor and it was hot, the left rotor was not hot at all, so i kind of figure that the pad is pretty much permanently pressed against the rotor.

I lubed up the 2 bolts holding the caliper in, but what could be causing the inside brake pad to be permanently pressed against the rotor

What do i need to do to fix it?

Cheers

Coming..CMS Stg2A Cam, 68mm TB
Later.. 4.5L w/ BOOOOOOOOOOST or XR6T or AUIII XR8 220

Currently:
151kW (165 on other dynos )
ayeyew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2010, 07:15 PM   #2
sleeper393

could be the brake piston seized up in the bore , series 1 or 2 au ?
123.4 GROUND TEARING RWKW'S , LOL
sleeper393 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2010, 07:20 PM   #3
sleeper393

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayeyew
My right front brake started making grinding noises yesterday, I noticed that even when i was not braking (particularly at low speed) the grinding noise was still evident, making it seem like the pads were still pressed against the rotor, even when my foot was not on the brake pedal. I bought new pads today, put the girl up and rotated the right front wheel and the grinding noise was evident.

Changed the pads, the inside pad on the right front was bare, but the outside pad on the right front was still very meaty. The inside of the right rotor was severly scratched, i am going to replace them next time i need pads.

The pads on the left were still meaty also, but i replaced them anyway.

After i replaced the pads and put the wheel back on, it was near impossible to make the wheel rotate. I took it for a quick drive (2-3 mins), came back, jacked her up and, yep still damn near impossible to make ther wheel rotate.
I put my hand on the middle of the right rotor and it was hot, the left rotor was not hot at all, so i kind of figure that the pad is pretty much permanently pressed against the rotor.

I lubed up the 2 bolts holding the caliper in, but what could be causing the inside brake pad to be permanently pressed against the rotor

What do i need to do to fix it?

Cheers

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
123.4 GROUND TEARING RWKW'S , LOL
sleeper393 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2010, 10:29 PM   #4
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it might be time for a brake overhaul, rebuilt calipers, brake bleed etc, master cylander? maybe even brake hoses, 10 years is a pretty good service life for these hard working parts imo.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2010, 11:21 PM   #5
RspecAU
BA GT-P Owner

Sounds to me the if one pad is meaty and the other is bear it'll be the sliders are jamed which will only make one pad do the braking. As mik said above a complete overhall would be advised.
ON MAXXIS MAV1's 275/45/17 13.27 @ 106mph
RspecAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2010, 12:59 AM   #6
ayeyew
Teh Baest

Perhaps time to upgrade to the Series II/III brakes then?

Thaks for advice thus far gentlemen

Currently:
Old 01-08-2010, 01:32 AM   #7
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayeyew
Perhaps time to upgrade to the Series II/III brakes then?

Thaks for advice thus far gentlemen
As good a time as any!

Do you have any braking issues now though as it does seem like alot of work?
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2010, 01:38 AM   #8
ayeyew
Teh Baest

No issues now, brakes fine, doesn't pull to the right or anything.

I just imagine the brake pads will wear out in the next 6-8 months or so.

Probably do the AU 2/3 upgrade next time i need pads, as i will need new rotors also, may aswell get the rest done too

I know a mate will help me out with putting it all in, so if i can find a kit cheap enough, it will get done

Currently:
Old 01-08-2010, 11:42 AM   #9
Jimmyd
Banned

For the love of all things blue oval, do it now - even if you only pop that caliper back off and free up the jamming slide pin and lube with synthetic caliper slide grease (can pick up at any auto store, even Supacheap carries the stuff...).

Brakes are not something that should be put off until you get around to it - don't forget you are driving 1.5 tonnes of angry AU on S1 brakes that are not real flash even when working properly.......

Cheers

James
Jimmyd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2010, 11:58 AM   #10
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

wise words jimmyd