Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-04-2010, 08:53 PM   #1
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Default Burnout Super Test: Camaro SS vs. Mustang GT vs. Challenger R/T

Not a bad vid.

Lol @ 3.30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmunds
http://www.insideline.com/features/b...lenger-rt.html

Forget acceleration. What truly matters is the evidence you leave behind. Those two black stripes across gray asphalt: the chevrons of glory, the gooey rubber scars of greatness. In the eternal battle among Camaro, Challenger and Mustang, what really matters is how long a burnout each will pull.

This wasn't a contest of advanced technique, but a battle waged with high school rules. No brakes, no throttle modulation and no soapy substances on the tires. Just a size 11 Nike cross-trainer planted on the accelerator until the engine nearly seizes, a clutch dump and a death grip on the steering wheel. The winner is the car that lays down the longest pavement lick.

This is primal motorsport: the sort of stuff you do hours after getting your license and finding a stretch of open road. By the time you're 16 and a half, you've likely blown it out of your system. Unless, that is, you're the sort of person who reads Inside Line, which means it likely remains a lifelong obsession.

"Technique?!" exclaimed Senior Road Editor Josh Jacquot. "I didn't use no stinkin' technique. I just revved them, dropped the clutch and didn't lift. Let me use the brakes and I could have had all of them running the length of the strip in a gray cloud of tire smoke."

For this seminal competition, each car — Inside Line's long-term 2009 Dodge Challenger R/T, Inside Line's long-term 2010 Chevy Camaro SS and a brand-new 2011 Ford Mustang GT swiped from Ford's Los Angeles press fleet — was allowed three runs with Jacquot piloting. A piece of tape with the car's name printed on it with a Sharpie was laid down along the Auto Club Speedway drag strip's centerline where the tire marks started and another piece of tape went down where the marks faded away. Determining where each of the marks ended was left to the subjective evaluation of this writer.

Each stripe was measured along the track centerline using a tape measure. All the measurements were then recorded on the back of the receipt from the previous night's dinner at BJ's sports bar in Oxnard, California. There were no style points awarded and the curvature of any burnout was disregarded. And if we bring the receipt with us back to BJ's next time, we get free mozzarella sticks.

At some point the "science" of this experiment was thrown aside in favor of the giddy giggles to be had from such indulgent nonsense. Yeah, this is immature and pointless, but it's a joyous and rocking immaturity and there aren't many other pointless things that are so emotionally satisfying.

Those were the rules. Now here's the rundown.

3rd Place: 2011 Ford Mustang GT 5.0
First Run: 72 feet, 5.5 inches
Second Run: 71 feet, 2.5 inches
Third Run: 69 feet

With the smallest-displacement engine in this test, the new 2011 Mustang GT lacks the bottom-end grunt that's necessary for ultimate rubber-burning artistry.

Though the Mustang GT's new engine is rated at 412 horsepower and 390 pound-feet of torque, those peaks arrive rather late in the power band. The 412 ponies require a screaming 6,500 rpm, while the torque isn't available until 4,250 rpm. This particular Mustang, a California Special Edition, wore 19-inch wheels inside 245/45R19 all-season Pirelli P Zero Neros and was packing an optional 3.73 rear axle ratio.

Make no mistake here: The new 5.0-liter V8 is a wonderful piece of engineering and likely the sweetest-driving V8 Ford has ever installed in a regular passenger car. But when it comes to infantile burnouts, it's weak sauce.

2nd Place: 2009 Dodge Challenger R/T
First Run: 101 feet, 2 inches
Second Run: 109 feet, 10.5 inches
Third Run: 99 feet, 4 inches

There were high hopes for the Challenger R/T going into this brutish competition. After all, not only does it wear skinny-ish 235/55R18 all-season Michelins that really deserve to go up in smoke, it's also powered by a Hemi.

Alas, however, the RT's 5.7-liter Hemi is modest in its output. Power maxes out at just 372 ponies while torque production is at 400 lb-ft. However, that horsepower number occurs at a relatively humble 5,200 rpm, even though the torque peak is up at 4,400 rpm.

Those peak numbers don't necessarily reflect the Hemi's low-end grunt accurately. Those numbers also don't necessarily reflect an ability to fricassee a set of all-season Michelins either.

With the help of those little, very hard tires and its deep 3.73 rear axle ratio, the Challenger laid down the longest 1st-gear stripe. It wasn't quite gutty enough to continue smoking in 2nd gear, but the Hemi pulled long enough for the oversize Challenger to go a blazing 109 feet, 10.5 inches without shifting. That has to count as some sort of conditional victory.

At least conditionally speaking.

1st Place: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS
First Run: 183 feet, 3 inches
Second Run: 210 feet, 1.5 inches
Third Run: 186 feet, 8 inches

When it comes to adolescent automotive behavior, the King, High Priest and Minister of Annihilation remains the mighty Camaro SS. All hail the Master of Mischief! The Sultan of Smoke! The Ruler of Rubber! The Baron of Burnouts!

In a contest where vehicle mass doesn't matter, suspension suppleness is irrelevant, cornering isn't even considered and the brakes are just along for the ride, it's no surprise the most powerful machine won. But what was shocking is how thoroughly the Camaro dominated the other two entrants. This wasn't even close, and the reason is simple.

Despite wearing the largest and stickiest tires of the three muscle cars (20-inch Pirelli P Zeros), the Camaro SS was the only car that continued to flambé its baloneys after the shift into 2nd gear. The Camaro SS's 6.2-liter LS3 V8 rates out at 426 hp and a thick 420 lb-ft of torque. Yeah that horsepower figure is up at 5,900 rpm and the torque number is stuck at 4,600 rpm, but the LS3 produces big twist from just off idle up to the moment the rev limiter screams "Uncle!" If your goal is the assassination of tires, the LS3 is your bestest buddy ever.

Controversy arises here (if you actually care) by the fact that the shift from 1st to 2nd gears in the Camaro SS produces a gap in the tire stripe about 8 feet, 4 inches long. But while the 1st-gear portion of the longest run ran 46 feet, 9 inches, in 2nd gear it ran a full 155 feet. That's about 45 feet longer than the Challenger's best run — in 1st.

Why does the Camaro run out so quickly in 1st? Simply because it's spinning the rear tires so hard that forward progress is impeded. The car is slowing down so much that the driver needs to shift into 2nd to keep it going.

And that's why the Camaro SS, though it may trail the others in other ways, dominates in this particular way.

So if you're still a sophomore in high school, the Camaro SS is the greatest single car ever built.

The manufacturers provided Edmunds vehicles for the purposes of burning the tires off of them.
Falc'man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2010, 09:17 PM   #2
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What a great article video. Stuff like this stops us all being so serious, and there's nothing life a few burn outs in a true RWD to lighten the mood. And can I just say, Ford bias aside, I'd happily have any three of those in my garage. Sexy beasts.

Top find ;-)
Old 14-04-2010, 09:22 PM   #3
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

Thats the best Road Test I have seen EVER
Car Comparison or what ever the hell you want to call it

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2010, 09:48 PM   #4
Chopped
as in chopped

Great find.

It would be hard to pick one out of those three. Drool.
Old 14-04-2010, 11:08 PM   #5
Wally
XP Coupe

I enjoyed that, good find Falc'man.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2010, 11:30 PM   #6
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

I loved the exteriors of all 3, probably the Challenger the most - but those interiors. Ooof. Is it a combination of retro/minimalist look? The Camaro was the probably the worst.

Hardly surprising that the car with the most torque was the best tyre shreader, though.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2010, 12:35 AM   #7
Arkturus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
I loved the exteriors of all 3, probably the Challenger the most - but those interiors. Ooof. Is it a combination of retro/minimalist look? The Camaro was the probably the worst.

Hardly surprising that the car with the most torque was the best tyre shreader, though.
Completely agree, those Camaro's are sexy as! :
Arkturus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2010, 10:54 AM   #8
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

It is a good test...

We get enough magazines testing handling, cup holders, and luggage capacity...

I wouldn't base my purchase on above test... but it certainly was interesting...

Just makes me realise that when I buy one of the above cars (rubbing eyes - waking up from dream) I will definately have to buy a 60/70's sister car of the same model...

And I would say that everyone here would agree that it would bring a smile to their face to open the garage on a crisp sunday morning to see a 69 Camaro SS and a 2010 Camaro SS in the garage...

Decisions Decisions...
Old 15-04-2010, 11:24 AM   #9
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i suppose gearing and weight had nothing to do with it.........
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2010, 02:24 PM   #10
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thats a great article, really enjoyed reading that - other then the Mustang losing that is :(
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2010, 04:44 PM   #11
Ghiadude
FORMERLY TX3DUDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fev
Thats a great article, really enjoyed reading that - other then the Mustang losing that is :(
well we are always complaining that the journos dont know how to launch fords. Theyve finally managed it (a good launch) and we still lost LOL!!!:
Ghiadude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2010, 05:34 PM   #12
Tucool
Donating Member
Donating Member2

:king: A great find!!!! two thumbs from me

AU II XR8 Daily driver.

BF XR8 ute (Red the only true Modification) My Toy.

The boy,

XT Ute 393 cleveland.

Genuine XB GT.
Tucool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2010, 05:36 PM   #13
The Monty
Just slidin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
i suppose gearing and weight had nothing to do with it.........

Who cares, they did a true test, 100% legit, and thats the result.
I think its a great comparo, obviously many reasons why the other cars should, could and would have won, but they didnt. If you want to rip skids in a stocko car, Camaro it is.
Old 15-04-2010, 05:38 PM   #14
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

what surprises me most about that video is the rpms maxing and a clutchdump I am amazed a clutch/diff/gearbox or a combo of the three didn't go WTFBBQ on the pavement in a real big hurry I would like them to continue doing that run after run and see which car can keep doing it for the longest period. someone email topgear STAT!

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2010, 05:56 PM   #15
Davebro

Some people have far too much time on their hands......

What a load of ********!
Old 15-04-2010, 06:22 PM   #16
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftie
And I would say that everyone here would agree that it would bring a smile to their face to open the garage on a crisp sunday morning to see a 69 Camaro SS and a 2010 Camaro SS in the garage...
Was soooo close to owning a 69 Camaro - though ended up with a 70 XW GT. Given that choice out of the three, it'd be Mustang for me.
Old 15-04-2010, 06:23 PM   #17
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davebro
Some people have far too much time on their hands......

What a load of ********!
Found a good forum for you...

http://priuschat.com/
Old 16-04-2010, 08:19 AM   #18
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Imagine walking into work, a bit tired, then your boss tells you your assignment for the day is a burnout test..

giddyup!