Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 16-12-2009, 09:46 PM   #1
hrdcor

Default Fairlane parts and conversion

Been kicking around the idea of converting the series 1, 6 cyl lane, to a manual 8.

While I'm at it I figure to find a v8 ute or sedan from series 2 or above and pretty much just cannabalise the brakes, motor, box, loom and possibly LSD.

From those with more know how I'd like to find out if this is remotely viable.

Pretty keen to take on the work myself and have no time frame to work too.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Cheers.

Old 17-12-2009, 12:25 AM   #2
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Fairlane has same floorpan as wagon, I think, so if you can find a manual V8 wagon, you can use parts from that and it would almost be a direct bolt on job (except diff - you'll need to change centres as Fairlane is IRS rear, and wagon is leaf spring/live axle rear). Problem is, there was only ever 1 manual AU wagon made (as far as I know) and i don't think it was V8. So the preceding info is pretty pointless, I guess!

You will be able to use engine (including loom and ECU) from any model V8 - front suspension will bolt up OK, and a manual gearbox should be OK too, but you may need custom tailshaft (modify existing??), and swap gears from a live axle LSD, or just get an XR8 LSD.

Or, cheaper option would be to trade your I6 lane on a V8 one, and then do manual conversion.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2009, 02:19 PM   #3
hrdcor

Cheers JC. Yeah thought it might work out a bit easier that way. Might play with the six as much as possible then see where that gets me. Damn VCT drinks like an 8, so at least I get the experience of paying for an eight without the benefits!! :P
Old 17-12-2009, 02:40 PM   #4
HLC
Audi S3

Don't bother playing with the 6. You won't get big returns for your money at all unless you bolt on a turbo or s/charger but even then that's a lot of coin and their could e reliability issues. If you want an 8, get an 8 and don't stuff around with something that youndont want!!
Old 17-12-2009, 03:22 PM   #5
hrdcor

hmmmm, turbolane... nah. That would be worth more than buying a newer lane. Aaah, decisions decisions...

oh an HLC, love the swing music.
Old 17-12-2009, 10:47 PM   #6
bartsau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Firstly you should more or less be able to use the majority of parts from a ute or sedan.

I am planning to do the same on my wagon. A manual and V8 conversion.

The input on the tailshaft is the same for a manual as it is an auto. 95% sure that the tailshaft is the same length manual vs auto (someone feel free to correct me i will measure them up tomorrow to compare them).

You could buy a V8 wagon (auto) and i believe that so long as you have a complete car to wreck you can get the motor, wiring loom and accessories and they should all more or less swap straight over.
The bulk of it should be pretty straight foward swaping bits over.

AU I Forte Sedan - No longer
Toy Car Build
bartsau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2009, 08:18 PM   #7
hrdcor

Cheers bart. Gonna sit this one on boil for a while and keep sorting through bits and pieces. Brakes are the scariest downfall of the lane in any form so that will be quite an important upgrade. Bit of a wait and think til next year some time.
Old 18-12-2009, 09:24 PM   #8
KR1STO
Just another mock-up..

got any pics of your lane man..?

see my car here:
Built my own TL50!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
KR1STO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post