Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 12-10-2009, 09:43 PM   #1
GreenMachine
Mopar/No Car

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Sensational write up about drum brakes. 
Default Western QLD

Hey guys,

Have got a few weeks leave in December, thought I'd take a drive out west. Have flown over the Channel Country a few times on the way to the Territory, looks like an interesting landscape... the furthest west I've been in the past is Roma.

I'm planning on going Brisbane-Roma-Charleville-Cunnamulla-St George-Goondiwindi-Brisbane.

Had a few questions for people who've been out that way before - what are things I should definately see/do/visit/stay? I was thinking of staying in Roma, Cunnamulla and Goondiwindi, gives me about 500 k's per day, plenty of time for looking around.

Also interested in what the highways like out there... Will be taking the F100. There's no LPG between Charleville and St George, about 500k's - I've got 550k's highway range in the truck, will give it a red hot go.

Would appreciate any advice..

Thanks

Nick

'72 Plymouth Scamp
'80 Courier
'13 Kawasaki ZX14-R
'13 Berlina
'92 Suzuki DR650

If you don't fight - You lose
GreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2009, 10:05 PM   #2
NC1183
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

St George - Gundy - Brisbane is all pretty good running, haven't been to Roma, Charleville or Cunnamulla

December out that way will be hot as, depending on the cotton season, could be very humid as well. You will have to let us know when your expecting to be in Gundy, I'll try and do a quick run up the highway from Moree and meet up, always keen to meet other AFF members

2005 FPV BF Super Pursuit

The new toy (now sold)
The SP

The old ute (sold)
www.aufalcon.com/nc1183

Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6T
If you look closely you can see the remains of a Hyundai excel that’s been sucked into the intake.
about the pic of 'CHOP YA' F6
NC1183 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2009, 10:10 PM   #3
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Your going out there in December?

Forgotten to take our medication have we ?
Old 12-10-2009, 10:37 PM   #4
GreenMachine
Mopar/No Car

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Sensational write up about drum brakes. 

Mate, I've worn a black suit in Darwin 5 days a week - heat doesn't scare me any more!

Have done the trip out to Gundy a few times, not a bad drive at all. Definately keen for a beer, Nathan.

'72 Plymouth Scamp
'80 Courier
'13 Kawasaki ZX14-R
'13 Berlina
'92 Suzuki DR650

Old 12-10-2009, 10:59 PM   #5
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

The Battle Truck will love the run:-

Roma: oil/gas museum, Truck museum

Charlieville:: cattle, Astronomy center, weather center.

Cunnmulla: Kulture

St. George/Bollon: interesting renewal

Gundy: Cotton/Cotton/Cotton

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2009, 11:20 PM   #6
xr6turbo2005
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

should be an interesting drive. dont think there is much happening in cunnamulla, id probably stay in charleville. brother was out there not too long ago, re-visiting our old birth town -they have the observatory just out of town which he said was good. (The Cosmos Centre). definatley have a beer at Hotel Corones, they also do a daily tour.

try not to be on the road too early or at sunset because of the roos. i was last out that way maybe 15yrs ago. Roads arent too bad in general, got to get off to one side for oncoming traffic, careful of the road trains.

definately take a good camera for those great sunsets you can only get in the west.

i have no idea how the heat effects LPG, but i know when i was out there, we had trouple filling up with petrol. it was that hot the pumps wouldnt pump properly and took ages to fill up.

2008 FPV GT - Auto, Seduce Red, Leather Interior, Herrod Performance Air Box with K&N Pod Filter.

2018 4WD Everest Trend - Blue Reflex.
xr6turbo2005 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2009, 11:49 PM   #7
GreenMachine
Mopar/No Car

Have already been recommended the Hotel Corones... Good old pub by the sounds of it.

Would prefer to stay in Charleville, but it either means a big drive to the first night (Bris-Charleville) or staying in Roma one night, then a short drive to Charleville for the second night. Although I spose that's ok too, just adds a night's accom to the trip.

'72 Plymouth Scamp
'80 Courier
'13 Kawasaki ZX14-R
'13 Berlina
'92 Suzuki DR650

Old 12-10-2009, 11:57 PM   #8
Dazza XLT
Back in a Ford

Haven't been out there for a while, but I hope this is some help.
The Roma-Morven stretch has improved, still a few bumps between Roma-Mitchell.
From Morven onto Charleville it gets narrow & a bit rough in places. Still 2 lanes if I remember correctly, but only just. May have to move off for trucks/large vehicles.
Charleville to Cunnamulla is ok, some big humps where the bore drains run under the road (Concrete pipe going under the road, with the road sunken either side of the pipe) Hang on, because you can hit them quite hard.
Can get narrow, but the edges are generally well maintained along this stretch.

Personally if it was me, I'd be staying in Charleville. Used to live 50klm north of Cunnamulla, not a bad town but I'd prefer to stay in Charleville.

Have a good trip!
Dazza XLT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2009, 12:03 AM   #9
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Yeh stay in Charleville rather the Cunnamulla..

The roads are all pretty good, just watch for Roo's early monring, they dont just jump infront of you, but they will jump into the side of you aswell..

Been as far as St George a few times, not much to see there really that I can remember..

Be careful with the GAS.. alot of those towns dont seem to have it, some of my mates work for Westpac and drive LPG Falcons and they are always running out in the west.. its BS!

That is alot of the stations run out of GAS, so just be mindful!
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.

Last edited by Smoke Pursuit; 13-10-2009 at 12:09 AM.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2009, 12:09 AM   #10
GreenMachine
Mopar/No Car

Have checked the fuel situation - plenty of LPG until Charleville, none in Cunnamulla, next LPG in St George. About 500k's, although if my economy is suspect I can take the dirt road shortcut down to Bollon - a bloke at work does that in the Commodores and reckons it's ok - knocks 130k's off the trip.

Thanks for all the info, guys - keep it coming!

'72 Plymouth Scamp
'80 Courier
'13 Kawasaki ZX14-R
'13 Berlina
'92 Suzuki DR650

Old 13-10-2009, 12:10 AM   #11
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine
Have checked the fuel situation - plenty of LPG until Charleville, none in Cunnamulla, next LPG in St George. About 500k's, although if my economy is suspect I can take the dirt road shortcut down to Bollon - a bloke at work does that in the Commodores and reckons it's ok - knocks 130k's off the trip.

Yeh just be cautious as some towns run outta LPG from time to time and dont get more for days, or thats what ive been told!

Good luck!
Old 13-10-2009, 12:28 AM   #12
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Quote:

The dirt road to Bollon's fine! Just boggy in the wet.

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2009, 12:54 AM   #13
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Just because the map or internet says they have LPG does not mean that they do actually have it.
Sometimes they run out and it is often several days before the truck turns up to fill it again.
Others have actually stopped selling it as it was costing them money to have the gear when sales are so slow.

95RON can also be a bit on the rare side but less so in the last few years.
I have always taken a jerrycan out there in the GT-P, F6s and Z (and even 2x5 litre ones on my kato). I have been told by servo staff they had fuel only to find they were out when I got there 5 hours later.

It is a bloody long walk if you run out......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2009, 01:06 AM   #14
EFPWR
B-Series Powered!

Gas expands in the heat.. i learned this the hard way in an E-gas BA taxi (stranded cause the tank was too hot). So you might have trouble filling it (usually a blast of cold water/ice block fixes it.. but not always)
Old 13-10-2009, 01:12 AM   #15
xr6turbo2005
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Would prefer to stay in Charleville, but it either means a big drive to the first night (Bris-Charleville) or staying in Roma one night, then a short drive to Charleville for the second night. Although I spose that's ok too, just adds a night's accom to the trip.
understand what your saying. checked whereis before to have a look at distances. guess it depends how long you what to take on the trip and how long you want to spend at each place.

what about a drive from Roma to Charleville via Augathella. bit of a detour and fill on the day.not sure what there is to look at there though

2008 FPV GT - Auto, Seduce Red, Leather Interior, Herrod Performance Air Box with K&N Pod Filter.

2018 4WD Everest Trend - Blue Reflex.
xr6turbo2005 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2009, 01:20 AM   #16
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfiipursuit
Yeh just be cautious as some towns run outta LPG from time to time and dont get more for days, or thats what ive been told!

Good luck!
yep... i have been caught out with that myself a few times. no gas between Gundy and Biloela last christmas. normally get it at Miles or Banana but both were out of order (Banana had been for a couple of months apparently but still had their signs out). at Miles you can normally get LPG from the Mobil on the western end of the main street ( but was out of order last time)

might just pay to call the servos before you leave so that you can plan your trip better.

5 years since i went to Roma but then there was only one LPG servo in town. liked the town though.

Gundy you can get LPG at BP or Caltex road houses on the edge of town.

should be a good trip. i headed of with the same plan from the sunny coast easter `04 but only got to Roma and spent the weekend there at the easter carnaval, drags, mud races, etc ,etc. then down to Surat and back home. there is a great Cob & Co museum at Surat if you ever go through there.
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
dave351cid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2009, 01:31 AM   #17
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave351cid
yep... i have been caught out with that myself a few times. no gas between Gundy and Biloela last christmas. normally get it at Miles or Banana but both were out of order (Banana had been for a couple of months apparently but still had their signs out). at Miles you can normally get LPG from the Mobil on the western end of the main street ( but was out of order last time)

might just pay to call the servos before you leave so that you can plan your trip better.

5 years since i went to Roma but then there was only one LPG servo in town. liked the town though.

Gundy you can get LPG at BP or Caltex road houses on the edge of town.

should be a good trip. i headed of with the same plan from the sunny coast easter `04 but only got to Roma and spent the weekend there at the easter carnaval, drags, mud races, etc ,etc. then down to Surat and back home. there is a great Cob & Co museum at Surat if you ever go through there.
Yep.. Westpac Agribus had to flog all their Gas BF's off coz everyone refused to drive them due to lack of Gas in the west, its something to be very cautious of, and also make sure you have a phone on Next G service..
Old 13-10-2009, 10:24 AM   #18
GreenMachine
Mopar/No Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Just because the map or internet says they have LPG does not mean that they do actually have it.
Sometimes they run out and it is often several days before the truck turns up to fill it again.
Others have actually stopped selling it as it was costing them money to have the gear when sales are so slow.

95RON can also be a bit on the rare side but less so in the last few years.
I have always taken a jerrycan out there in the GT-P, F6s and Z (and even 2x5 litre ones on my kato). I have been told by servo staff they had fuel only to find they were out when I got there 5 hours later.

It is a bloody long walk if you run out......
Yeah, have played that game before - Will be ringing around before I leave. With straight gas, it's not like I can fill it from a jerry can either...

Thanks for the advice, guys.

'72 Plymouth Scamp
'80 Courier
'13 Kawasaki ZX14-R
'13 Berlina
'92 Suzuki DR650