Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-08-2009, 07:05 PM   #31
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss315
I hate to stick up for GM on this one but I disagree. The Monaro dominated the Sports Car segment in Australia, and while that isn't huge numbers I'm pretty sure they were selling double their nearest competitor. The car was exported to the USA and other markets as the GTO. The second generation model (VE - Zeta) has been released as a Camaro in the USA and is selling like hotcakes.

I wonder what Ford AU's world would be like today if GRWD had been adopted. A Falcon based Mustang with Coyote V8 would sure be interesting.
Sorry but it wasnt a success at all either here or in the US, sales numbers werent strong enough to ensure its survival in either country....

Old 20-08-2009, 07:35 PM   #32
388cube_edxr8
Nutty Professor

The problem with a retro styled Falcon is that the new Mustang and Challenger and the like are incarnations of classic cars. The Falcon (essentially) is a family car. A 2 door retro Falcon would sell very well in a limited run as a collectors item, but could not be the next model Falcon.

It would have to be released like Toyota did with the Celica/Supra back in the day. We need to have the Falcon as it is, and a separate model, the Cobra, for sale alongside it. It will detract from Falcon sales slightly, but as long as Ford don't make it squishy and fat like Holden did with the Monaro, it will draw in new buyers that look at more than just practicality when buying a car.

I for one would buy one to park next to the XR8 in my driveway.

I can feel a poll coming on...
If you buy a rubbish car, what you are saying is "I have no interest in cars." If you have no interest in cars, you have no interest in driving, and if you have no interest in something, it means you're no good at it, which means you must have your driving license taken away.
388cube_edxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2009, 08:37 PM   #33
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Sorry but it wasnt a success at all either here or in the US, sales numbers werent strong enough to ensure its survival in either country....
I don't think GM have issues with their investment in this Zeta variant (call it Monaro/GTO/Camaro or whatever you'd like).

Without the first Generation GTO there would be no Camaro.

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/08/03/i...second-straig/