Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 15-07-2009, 11:19 PM   #1
sk8xr8
sliding by you...

Default Proactive Vs. Reactive.....

Im over it, its draining to think about and even more draining to explain to the narrow minded, they wait until a nut job shoots a bunch of innocent people before they ban semi automatic firearms, they wait until a little girl gets thrown off a bridge before they put up barriers on the westgate, another little girl is bashed and is put into a coma by her father only weeks after her childcare centre reported signs of abuse, why the hell do people wait until there is an unspeakable tragedy before they act, then there is an uproar an everyone points fingers but no one is ever held responsible, and no one will ever claim responsibility.....

why do we wait when we know its only a matter of time before something terrible happens....

Noah built the ark before it rained... and we still havnt learnt.

Old 15-07-2009, 11:24 PM   #2
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

some things are not always practical.
Consider the number of people that die in accidents that hit a tree or power pole. The solution is to put armco on every road, easy... who's going to pay for it?

We could reduce crime if every citizen supplied DNA to a central database and wore anklets with GPs locaters. We could put security cameras up on every street. Put speed limiters on all cars. Have all internet traffic packet inspected.

The list goes on....
Old 15-07-2009, 11:28 PM   #3
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Because when we "pro-act" to prevent we get accused of being heavy handed and "over reacting"....

Old 15-07-2009, 11:30 PM   #4
sarrge2001
SZII in Silhouette

So, we should build an ark??

Strangers have the best candy.......
Old 15-07-2009, 11:33 PM   #5
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarrge2001
Yes, as soon as work work out what the hell a cubit is
Old 15-07-2009, 11:34 PM   #6
sk8xr8
sliding by you...

people have been jumping off the bridge for decades, then its a little girl that gets it changed, people have been massacred in other countries all over the world with these guns, kids have been abused left right and centre and we have the means to stop this stuff but we sit on our hands for economies sake?!? thats crap, but they can justify resurfacing a perfectly good road or waste money on other crap without asking the public about it....
Old 16-07-2009, 12:57 AM   #7
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarrge2001
Sounds like a good idea. What with the tsunami warning and all!
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Old 16-07-2009, 01:29 AM   #8
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8xr8
people have been jumping off the bridge for decades, then its a little girl that gets it changed, people have been massacred in other countries all over the world with these guns, kids have been abused left right and centre and we have the means to stop this stuff but we sit on our hands for economies sake?!? thats crap, but they can justify resurfacing a perfectly good road or waste money on other crap without asking the public about it....
I guess Political expediency now dictates such things.

I once worked with a lady who was a member of a political party, and worked within that party to develop policy. She told me that she lobbied for better roads in the Western suburbs of Melbourne, as they were pretty average. The response she got was "there's no votes for us out there!" She was shocked, because she genuinely cared about equality. I guess she should have known better?

Sadly, when pollies do what will keep them in for the next term, rather than what best serves the population things like this will keep happening.

Noah was a champion by the way.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
Old 16-07-2009, 08:36 PM   #9
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:

The right wingers would tell Noah not to build an ark and to stop trying to run the animals life for them.

The left wingers would not be happy unless Noah built arks for all the animals.

Fortunately Noah found the middle ground.

Where the middle ground is will always be debatable.
Old 16-07-2009, 09:21 PM   #10
xy500
Constant annoyance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Work Horse
The right wingers would tell Noah not to build an ark and to stop trying to run the animals life for them.

The left wingers would not be happy unless Noah built arks for all the animals.

Fortunately Noah found the middle ground.

Where the middle ground is will always be debatable.
funny, and wise. i like
Old 17-07-2009, 07:16 AM   #11
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

Quote:

God told Noah to build the ark. Noah was reactive. (Genesis 6, verse 13 I think)

I understand what you're saying. We see simliar things over here. I agree with you. It seems a lot of times you can see things coming yet nothing is done.

I don't know Australian gun laws but if guns are banned and turned in by law abiding citizens how will the authorities collect the guns from the criminals? If only law abiding citizens are unarmed where will the benefit be because criminals will keep their's. In the US where concealed carry by law abiding citizens has been passed armed crimes have dropped. The criminals don't know who may shoot back.

I don't mean to turn this into a gun post. I just don't know what angles it has been looked at there.

Steve

My XB Interceptor project

Wife's 1966 Mustang

My Artworks and Creative Projects Site
Oil Paintings, Airbrushing, Metal Sculpture,
Custom Cars, Replica Movie Props, Videos,
and more!
Old 17-07-2009, 07:39 AM   #12
NAK302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the gun buy back scheme was a reaction that became proactive. Howard needed money to pay for a war with the Indo's in Timor to secure the Gas fields up there. the easiest way to do this was impose a 1% medicare levy on the folks who earn more than average and didn't pay into the private health funds claws. even though the gun buy back scheme and Timor have been and gone, the levy still exists for all our ex pollies to enjoy free airfares and superannuation handouts.
Old 17-07-2009, 09:06 AM   #13
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio XB
In the US where concealed carry by law abiding citizens has been passed armed crimes have dropped. The criminals don't know who may shoot back.

Steve
Are you suggesting that there are less shooting related injuries per capita in the US than AUS? or are we talking about a different US....
Old 17-07-2009, 09:27 AM   #14
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

All the gun buy back did was dis-armed all the honest law abiding people....

Old 17-07-2009, 11:20 AM   #15
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
All the gun buy back did was dis-armed all the honest law abiding people....
I'm honest and law abiding, it didn't effect me at all :nutsycuck

My sister-in-laws husband hunts pigs, he reckons it made him a better shot. He only gets one shot to take down a large bush pig or it's just the dogs and a knife between him and a very angry pig!
Old 17-07-2009, 01:29 PM   #16
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123
Are you suggesting that there are less shooting related injuries per capita in the US than AUS? or are we talking about a different US....
It is interesting to note though that despite all of the gun bans the number of firearm related deaths and injuries in Australia has not changed.

The only difference of note is the number of suicides using firearms has dropped even though the actual number of suicides has gone up. (which means they are being used to kill OTHER people)

So I am wondering if the banning of all V8 and turbo 6 motor vehicles in Australia would lower the road toll....

If everyone had 4 cylinders it would make them better drivers wouldn't it and it would not effect people who use public transport and.......

The most interesting thing about all of this emotive issue is that most people have no personal experience and really no idea at all and are just repeating propaganda spun to them from whereever.

But to try and have a logical conversation with an antigunner about firearms is like trying to have a logical conversation about performance vehicles with Harold Scruby or trying to have a logical conversation about speed cameras with the Victorian Government........
Old 17-07-2009, 02:05 PM   #17
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Im over it, its draining to think about and even more draining to explain to the narrow minded, they wait until a nut job shoots a bunch of innocent people before they ban semi automatic firearms, they wait until a little girl gets thrown off a bridge before they put up barriers on the westgate, another little girl is bashed and is put into a coma by her father only weeks after her childcare centre reported signs of abuse, why the hell do people wait until there is an unspeakable tragedy before they act, then there is an uproar an everyone points fingers but no one is ever held responsible, and no one will ever claim responsibility.....

why do we wait when we know its only a matter of time before something terrible happens....

Noah built the ark before it rained... and we still havn't learnt.
Well, in order to get median barrier installed at certain spots (freeway), I usually have to wait until a fatality occurs, I then drag out pre-fatality correspondence advocated aforesaid barrier, and the GovCo initial response; usually telling me 'not needed, its a world class freeway' etc. I then offer to send it all to the surviving family members or their lawyers.

That gets the barrier installed. (Not a joke either).

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
But to try and have a logical conversation with an antigunner about firearms is like trying to have a logical conversation about performance vehicles with Harold Scruby or trying to have a logical conversation about speed cameras with the Victorian Government........
Yep!!
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Old 17-07-2009, 10:55 PM   #18
xtremerus
FG XR6T trayback

Typical attitude now-days for lots of people.
If it doesn't affect me, or I know nothing about it, BAN IT.
Old 17-07-2009, 11:15 PM   #19
Teflon Turbo
Banned

i have to say for myself, i have seen some stuff going down and thought about not intervening, but in the end I had to do something. I was only involvled in one violent act, the others were like to offer some assistance.

i reckon regular people need to do more because people are everywhere almost all the time. Hard for cops or laws or barriers or what ever the case maybe to actually be there all the time at that time.

take that chapel street beating recently on video, how many people were standing around doing nothing, i know it's scary but you have to do something. well at least i would. i am a man and i couldn't live with myself, "a coward dies 1000 deaths, a brave man dies once".

Last edited by Teflon Turbo; 17-07-2009 at 11:22 PM. Reason: typo...
Old 18-07-2009, 02:00 AM   #20
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:
It is interesting to note though that despite all of the gun bans the number of firearm related deaths and injuries in Australia has not changed........
It is interesting, please quote your source?

Quote:
The only difference of note is the number of suicides using firearms has dropped even though the actual number of suicides has gone up. (which means they are being used to kill OTHER people)

You are wrong, the actual number of deaths per capita due to suicides has dropped every year since 1998.http://www.mindframe-media.info/clie...ges/807892.pdf
Quote:
So I am wondering if the banning of all V8 and turbo 6 motor vehicles in Australia would lower the road toll....
The "ban" is already in place for young drivers, are you suggesting that is not "proactive" given the over representation of young drivers in road fatalities?
Old 18-07-2009, 03:32 AM   #21
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
lol, it is funny people get worked up when nothing is done...when it doesn't effect them.
Look at the thread on the NSW government making it harder to lower or raise your car. Most people in Australia will not really care if this law is passed as i doesn't effect them.
This country is wrapping everyone up in cotton wool as it seems as its everyone elses fault because people wont take responsibility for their own actions.
Old 19-07-2009, 10:15 AM   #22
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Work Horse
It is interesting, please quote your source?
ABS, look it up....

If it were not the case the anti gun lobby would be sending media releases every 30 seconds.
The pro gun lobby have tried but get ignored as like many things, the facts do not fit the agenda.

e.g. How many stories have you seen on mainstream media about the huge rise in road toll in NT since the speed limits were imposed?
Old 19-07-2009, 01:38 PM   #23
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

I can only find 2005 data.
OVERALL TRENDS

There were 2213 deaths from suicide registered in 2003. This number was a slight decrease from 2320 registered in the previous year.

Age standardisation allows comparison of rates between populations with different age structures. The age-standardised suicide rate (for persons) in 2003 was 6% lower than the corresponding rate for the previous year and 24% lower than the peak for the period 1993-2003, which occurred in 1997.

For males, in many age groups, there was a decline in age-specific suicide rates following peaks in the years 1997 and 1998. The age-standardised suicide rate for total males (17.7 per 100,000) in 2003 was lower than in any year in the previous decade (1993-2002).

Similarly for females, there were declines in rates for some age groups over this period and the age-standardised suicide rate for total females (4.7 per 100,000) in 2003 was the lowest since 1994.

Throughout the period 1993 to 2003 the male age-standardised suicide death rate was approximately four times higher than the corresponding female rate.

METHOD OF SUICIDE

In 2003 the most common method of suicide was hanging, which was used in almost half (45%) of all suicide deaths. The next most used methods were poisoning by 'other' (including motor vehicle exhaust) (19%), Other (15%), poisoning by drugs (13%), and methods using firearms (9%). This distribution was consistent with that of the previous few years. However, over the decade strong trends were apparent such as the increase in the use of hanging, and a decrease in methods using firearms. See Table 4 for data on broad groupings of method of suicide.
Old 19-07-2009, 01:42 PM   #24
HLC
Audi S3

i remember reading somewhere that the actual number of firearm homocides every year had been decreasing, before the first buyback, and after it at the same rate, with spikes for bryant/monash. and therefore the buyback had no real effect on firearm homocides since they were decreasing at the same/similar rate anyway.

but i probably read that in the daily tele, so its not credible at all HAHA
Old 19-07-2009, 02:11 PM   #25
platinumXR
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
...because people won't take responsibility for their own actions.
There's your problem right there.

Toys:
2017.5 LZ Focus RS, Magnetic Grey my new pocket rocket
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
1993 EB2 S-XR8 Sedan, Platinum, manual (now sold)
1975 XB Fairmont GS Sedan, Tropic Gold...or Starlight Blue...not sure yet...(SOLD)
Old 19-07-2009, 04:15 PM   #26
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123

Not at all. I am only saying that in the States (US States) where concealed carry by law abiding citizens, who get the certified required 12 hours of training with their weapon, the laws, and safety, has been instituted the number of shooting incidents have dropped compared to before the law went into affect. I am not making any comparison with Australia's statistics at all. I am merely saying that this practice in our country has netted a positive impact on gun related crimes.

Criminals knew the person they were going to rob would not be armed. It was illegal to carry a gun and law abiding citizens do just that, obey the law. Now if a criminal were to want to rob someone they don't know if that person, or one of the 7 people around them, are carrying a gun or not. This has been the deterring factor here and has been working well. Of course it has not elliminated gun crimes, but fewer gun crimes are being committed, and once in a while a criminal is "neutralized" so that he can't hurt or kill any others.

Getting guns away from law abiding citizens is easy, but their not the ones that we need to worry about.

Steve

My XB Interceptor project

Wife's 1966 Mustang

My Artworks and Creative Projects Site
Oil Paintings, Airbrushing, Metal Sculpture,
Custom Cars, Replica Movie Props, Videos,
and more!
Old 19-07-2009, 04:26 PM   #27
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:
ABS, look it up....
I have, where are you getting your information? Post a link.
Quote:
If it were not the case the anti gun lobby would be sending media releases every 30 seconds.
The pro gun lobby have tried but get ignored as like many things, the facts do not fit the agenda.

e.g. How many stories have you seen on mainstream media about the huge rise in road toll in NT since the speed limits were imposed?
Sorry I wasn't looking to provide a soapbox for gun debate.
I was pointing out the irony in your post. You complain about people having,"really no idea" or "just repeating propaganda" after quoting incorrect and (still) sourceless "facts" yourself.
Old 19-07-2009, 05:08 PM   #28
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Here is an independent paper by the University of Melbourne.

http://www.ssaa.org.au/research/2008...ack-effect.pdf

Read through that one. Not a lot of effect for the hundreds of millions spent.
Old 19-07-2009, 09:28 PM   #29
Work Horse
Budget Racer

There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Quote:

The link you have posted confirms you where wrong. The actual number of suicides has dropped every year since 1998.
Quote:
It is interesting to note though that despite all of the gun bans the number of firearm related deaths and injuries in Australia has not changed.
The link you have posted is an analysis of statistical data, it is not a scientific finding. Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
To obtain a scientific answer we would need a parallel universe where we had the same Australia but no gun buy back scheme. Then we would have something to compare our Australia with, that did have the gun buy back scheme, .

You can not say,"despite all of the gun bans the number of firearm related deaths and injuries in Australia has not changed", because you can not know what would have happened without them.

The OP was talking "Proactive Vs. Reactive". Without knowing what would have happened in Australia with no buy back, we can not say if it was proactive or reactive.

The middle ground will depend on your point of view. Some had the opinion the buy back went to far, others not far enough, so I guess the status quo is near the middle.
Old 20-07-2009, 12:22 AM   #30
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And one would expect nothing more than that from you.

The finding from the University of Melbourne does not agree with your personal view so it must be wrong.

There are hundreds of other documents on the same site from which that one was drawn. Go and read all of them if you really want to learn about this subject.

But I doubt you will or that you even care, like your posts on internet censorship et al, anything that contradicts your party agenda is untruth and heresy.....
Closed Thread