Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 22-05-2009, 09:24 PM   #31
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Yep, mine will change to a Detroit when i have the coin, was pointing they will do the job.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2009, 11:40 PM   #32
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

alot of the E series guys have had plenty of success with the LOKKA's from 4wd systems.
they are all pushing over 400hp and get driven HARD
just they sound terrible around corners(click click click from the ratchet type mechanism that makes them do what they do.)
but its much nicer than tearing tyres to shreds and snapping axles because you turned a corner in a carpark with a carload of mates.
Old 23-05-2009, 12:21 AM   #33
SLO AU XR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackers10
alot of the E series guys have had plenty of success with the LOKKA's from 4wd systems.
they are all pushing over 400hp and get driven HARD
just they sound terrible around corners(click click click from the ratchet type mechanism that makes them do what they do.)
but its much nicer than tearing tyres to shreds and snapping axles because you turned a corner in a carpark with a carload of mates.
Thats because they corner with the clutch dipped and in gear. Dan set my Lokka up, and i have no drama's with the clicking when cornering if i knock it into neutral. I'll show you next time I come up to Aspley if your there Brendan.
Forced Performance Tuned
SLO AU XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2009, 03:21 AM   #34
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

once again thanks for your opinons. There will never be groups of mates in the car, and not much general driving. highway to work and strip use only. am still considering spooling it. bang for buck- cant compare, each to there own though. unless i can get an LSD for cheap. Anyone with broken EF/EL XR's please PM me. (i want your centres)
Old 23-05-2009, 09:58 AM   #35
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

every car with lokka has the clicking.
its due to the wheels turning and the teeth clicking past eachother... wouldnt matter if the clutch was in or not
as long as 1 wheel is open wheeling it is going to click.
hell i could hear malakai's clicking as we went through the streets at 60kmh near mt cootha on our way home from the drags

Mont 5.0 you would be far better off with somthing that will allow you to turn properly.
and the cops wouldnt destroy you just because you have a locked diff
Old 23-05-2009, 11:53 AM   #36
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

I'm not trying to start an argument here, but I am just curious whether those against spools/locked diffs have experienced them?
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2009, 12:12 PM   #37
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by private9
I'm not trying to start an argument here, but I am just curious whether those against spools/locked diffs have experienced them?
I have for a short time, never again for road use.

If it were pure strip, or even mainly strip / casual street, a spool would be fine.

As I said in a previous post, little gain over a good LSD, and many drawbacks.
A good LSD works very well.
Old 23-05-2009, 12:29 PM   #38
The Monty
Just slidin'

Considering that I never once said anything about the actual FUNCTION of the spool, except for the FACT that it chews out tyres, as you can hear in all the cars I have been in and seen with a spool, you can HEAR the tyres being destroyed.
Apart from that, and being completely ILLEGAL, I havent tried one for myself. I wouldnt put myself or my family in that sort of situation where I need to use an illegally fitted device to chew tyres faster, and be completely illegal on the road whilst putting them in danger. They are illegal for a reason. They arent for street use.
Mont5.0, if you want one, get one. Simple as that. Forget about the LSD if you dont want it to turn into a s/s eventually, or if you dont want insurance to cover you in event of a crash. If you can live with that, go for the spool.
Old 23-05-2009, 12:52 PM   #39
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Pros for the spool - cheap, no slippage.

Cons - chews through tyres, possible damage to axles, cop bait, can be dangerous in wet

If you want one just get it but dont complain if something from the con list happens. I had a mate who put a spool in his VL after about 3 weeks it got stickered.
Car becomes really loose in the rear once traction starts to break. Knew a guy with a spool who was driving normal speed up the onramp to the freeway and the car just shot out and into the side barrier.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2009, 03:48 PM   #40
SLO AU XR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by private9
yep, i had a spooled XR6, the spool was in it for 4 weeks, daily driven. I killed 2 sets of rears and them smashed the car in wet weather
Forced Performance Tuned
Old 23-05-2009, 05:11 PM   #41
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO AU XR8
yep, i had a spooled XR6, the spool was in it for 4 weeks, daily driven. I killed 2 sets of rears and them smashed the car in wet weather
Yeah, I'd heed this guys word and plus all the other people who are against it, the spool doesn't sound like the best idea people have had.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2009, 02:38 PM   #42
EF Futura 07
14.915 @ 151 KPH

Talking

If i can add something here, i just did my diff last week, i bought a brand new LSD, took it apart added 2 extra shims so now the spring inside is bottomed out (it is not possible to add anymore shims as the spring is bottomed out and i tried 3 but i couldnt close the centre back up : ) it is now as tight as a limo can be, lock's up straight away, safe in the wet, and very little binding when doing a u-turn or turning a sharp corner. A locker or whatever you want to call it IMO is a waist of time in a street car that sometimes sees the track.

EL XR Front, 16 inch Tickford's, Superlow's Front/Rear with Monroe GT Sport's : , XR6T Snorkle/Fram Filter, 4499's/Hi Flow Cat/2.5 inch Redback, 4.11's/LSD, 5% Tint, Sony Head Unit/ 6 1/2 Inch 190w Speaker's
: 14.915 @ 151 kph 60' 2.254 :
EF Futura 07 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2009, 06:06 PM   #43
SLO AU XR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EF Futura 07
If i can add something here, i just did my diff last week, i bought a brand new LSD, took it apart added 2 extra shims so now the spring inside is bottomed out (it is not possible to add anymore shims as the spring is bottomed out and i tried 3 but i couldnt close the centre back up : ) it is now as tight as a limo can be, lock's up straight away, safe in the wet, and very little binding when doing a u-turn or turning a sharp corner. A locker or whatever you want to call it IMO is a waist of time in a street car that sometimes sees the track.
No matter how tight your LSD is right now, it will wear out and eventually single out. The advantage of the 4WD Systems Lokka is it acts just like a tight LSD, but does not wear out over time.
Forced Performance Tuned
Old 24-05-2009, 06:12 PM   #44
MrXr6Tickford
AU Club Mod

4WD lokka and just turn the tunes up wont bother your then with that clicking.

Click Here
MrXr6Tickford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2009, 06:34 PM   #45
EF Futura 07
14.915 @ 151 KPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO AU XR8
No matter how tight your LSD is right now, it will wear out and eventually single out. The advantage of the 4WD Systems Lokka is it acts just like a tight LSD, but does not wear out over time.
i wasnt going to say it but 4wd systems or goaaaanaaawhere or what ever they call themselves are crap. i work for a company that produces air activated lockers and they are the only sort of locker i would put anywhere near my car, they are 100% locked when locked, 100% unlocked when unlocked, no noises, no clicking, no halfway through a roundabout and oh crap now im sideways because my "locker that should only activate under throttle now is locked", cheap=crap. dont tell me i have no idea what im talking about because i play with these things along with suspension day in day out and you get to know whats built well and what's not and what is just total crap. yes i know my limo will wear out over time, i would rather pull it out every 20000kms then have something that you have no control over :

EL XR Front, 16 inch Tickford's, Superlow's Front/Rear with Monroe GT Sport's : , XR6T Snorkle/Fram Filter, 4499's/Hi Flow Cat/2.5 inch Redback, 4.11's/LSD, 5% Tint, Sony Head Unit/ 6 1/2 Inch 190w Speaker's
: 14.915 @ 151 kph 60' 2.254 :
EF Futura 07 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2009, 06:43 PM   #46
SLO AU XR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It comes down to spring pressure as to how they lock, mine is weaker sprung to lock under more throttle.
Forced Performance Tuned
Old 25-05-2009, 02:01 AM   #47
Fordfan4u

Have a spool in my VL-T. Did have an LSD in it got over rebuilding them so whacked in a spool. No complaints what so ever. Yeah, fair enough it does chew through tyres a bit faster but thats to be expected. Im lucky to get 6 months to a set of rears anyway.
Driving style has changed a little, wet roads this and that people are talking about, it will step out. Yeah it will, but its going to do it EVERY time. Not just every now and then like an LSD will. I personally feel it makes the car more predictable.
Learn to drive the car again. Its not as bad as people make out.
Manual, spool and boost is lots of fun. The only time I hear tyres 'destroying' themselves is doing very slow tight turns. Day to day driving, changing lanes, going around corners I can barely notice it.
It may be illegal, but so is a screamer pipe, bov, diff dumped exhaust/ too loud exhaust, exposed pod, tints too dark, wheels too big etc etc. Im sure most people do have or have had something thats not quite legal on their cars.
Me: What button?
Officer: The button for the clutch!!!
Me: [laughing so hard it hurts]
Fordfan4u is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2009, 08:02 AM   #48
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

but all those things dont send you sliding accross the road the min you dont pay attention
Old 25-05-2009, 09:36 AM   #49
ClassicAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I recon the only way you will be able to get away with what you are after, is to get a KAAZ centre installed properly by someone who has experience with them. It's going to cost you, but when is anything built to last ever cheap! I have never been in a car equipped with one, but have been told they take some getting used to, and if you have an aggressive driving style, it will need to change.

I got myself a BRAND NEW standard spec LSD built for my old I6, and managed to completely destroy it in just over a year. Not that I granny'd the thing around, but it wasn't as if I was cutting hoops every week either.

Moral of the story, you get what you pay for!
ClassicAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2009, 01:08 PM   #50
Fordfan4u

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackers10
but all those things dont send you sliding accross the road the min you dont pay attention
lol its not like that at all. Especially if you drive to the conditions.
You can drive it like any other car on the road and its fine. Want to be a little naughty you can get it to step and cake the rears 130km/h+
Ive driven it on many highways in the pouring rain doing 110km/h and never had it once step on me unless i've provoked it.
my RX7 series ll 13b-T also has a spool, and the AU turbo im looking at buying at the moment will get one to if I do buy it.
But thats me, I just prefer them.
Me: What button?
Officer: The button for the clutch!!!
Me: [laughing so hard it hurts]
Fordfan4u is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post