Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 20-05-2009, 01:00 PM   #1
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 
Default What do I do?!

I work for a "not for profit" youth orgainisation, where we do lots of work with students who struggle with school, relating to others, need encouragement and support etc.

We use a fair bit of technology, which has to be transportable as we go into lots of different High Schools.

Prob is one of our staff members borrowed the DLP Digital Projector and then brought it back. Prob is, no one has seen it since! Its been missing in action for over 4 weeks now, and we have all looked everywhere, even our own homes and cars and sheds etc! We cant really report it stolen as there is no proof of a break in. We also cant claim on insurance as we dont have a police report number thingo.

Im at a loss as to what happened. I need this type of Tech to keep the programs cutting edge and engaging for the students. It also needs to be powerful enough to project well in bright rooms.

If we were any other type of organisation we would just buy another with saved funds or whatever, but we run on a shoe string budget and dont have any money to replace the machine!

Am I stuffed?!

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Mr Brooksy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2009, 01:03 PM   #2
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Ask the staff member where the projector is

Then tell all staff that it is missing and if you have inadvertendly borrowed it, it must be returned

Put all staff on notice that the Police will become involved if it doesnt turn up
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2009, 01:03 PM   #3
Sam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Did they actually bring it back and someone is able to verify this?. or did they just say that they returned it?

Do you have insurance?
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2009, 01:06 PM   #4
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 

Yeah all staff are aware of this. They have looked high and low as well. I trust the guy who borrowed it, he's one of my best mates and has been for about 8 years. He has been distraught about the situation as well.

What are the cops going to do? Ask, and say they cant do much as the incident happened weeks ago.

Yeah we have insurance, but we need an 'incident number' from the police to say its gone dont we?!

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Old 20-05-2009, 01:15 PM   #5
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Brooksy
Yeah all staff are aware of this. They have looked high and low as well. I trust the guy who borrowed it, he's one of my best mates and has been for about 8 years. He has been distraught about the situation as well.

What are the cops going to do? Ask, and say they cant do much as the incident happened weeks ago.

Yeah we have insurance, but we need an 'incident number' from the police to say its gone dont we?!
You could go to the police and get an 'incident number' to say its gone, because it has gone (regardless of whether there is a break in) and claim insurance - however I would be scouting online auctions for a new/used one (ie Graysonline) You might find it cheaper to buy one through them - than pay an excess for insurance.

What do you use the projector for? Ie powerpoint or movies?

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2009, 01:17 PM   #6
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Videos and PPT's mainly. We use as different types of communication to help students engage.

So I just call the local Cop shop then and ask?

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Old 20-05-2009, 01:25 PM   #7
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Videos and PPT's mainly. We use as different types of communication to help students engage.

So I just call the local Cop shop then and ask?
You can but check your excess first, if its going to be $500 or something you might be best not going through insurance.

Check this out http://www.graysonline.com.au/lot.asp?LOT_ID=3634875
It might not suit your needs but might be the cheapest way to fix your current problem (just keep in mind freight and buyers premium) Also check other sites, given the current climate you might be able to find some bargins.

Edit: keep in mind not saying you should buy that one, but they come up frequently that was just the first one I found

Old 20-05-2009, 01:28 PM   #8
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Thanks for that, I do need at least 1800Ansi Lumens. That only has 800.

Appreciate the link though.

I have to go, and do another program.

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Old 20-05-2009, 01:38 PM   #9
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Thanks for that, I do need at least 1800Ansi Lumens. That only has 800.

Appreciate the link though.

I have to go, and do another program.
Maybe even phone Sony, Panasonic Cannon etc as they might have a repaired unit (with minor damage) that they just want to get rid of and given your circumstances they might offer a discounted price or even simply donate one.

I would probably still go to the cop shop just to formalise everything that way if the manufacturers dont help you out and you cant find anything quickly enough online you could still claim insurance.

Old 20-05-2009, 10:44 PM   #10
weigen
Starter Motor

Mate,
If there is no further investigation needed and there are no suspects, you can call the police assistance line on 131444 and they can take a report and give you a police event number (police report number thingo ) over the phone.

Sounds like someone in your office is up to no good, might even be one of the kids your trying to help.

I would call the local coppers and ask them to come down when you have most of your crew there. If nothing else, they will see the police and it might stir things up a bit. If the crook is seen to get away I dare say more of your gear will go missing.

Russ
weigen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2009, 10:54 PM   #11
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You can report it as lost or stolen, that way if it turns up somewhere or is handed in the police can trace the owner if you have the details.
Did this with my daughters mobile, went missing from her school locker but I reckon she just lost it on the bus or something and too scared to cough up that she LOST another phone.
Old 21-05-2009, 09:16 AM   #12
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Thanks fella's! Police assistance line sounds like a plan actually. I was feeling a bit weird about walking into the station and saying "hey I have no idea whats happened to my projector, um can I have a police incident number?". The phone will be easier.

Thanks again guys.

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build