Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

View Poll Results: In your opinion, is the changing of valve springs considered an unopened motor???
Yes 31 41.33%
No 44 58.67%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Old 30-04-2009, 08:39 PM   #31
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

I personally don't like euphemisms and bs.

The LS1/I6T guys felt they needed to improve their unopened times, so they changed the rules. That's their bad luck; who are they to make or change the Irish language?

In saying that, I strongly agree with Mark, as some say theirs is unopened, but seldom mention what's been done to the rest of the car; ie, lightening, stall, drag tyres, shocks, removal of ancilleries at the strip, using vice grips as a steering wheel... and then turn around and claim the fastest unopened time? For the sake of apples for apples, just list all that's been done and enough of playing with words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoolMan
Correct Dan, if you look through my posting history I laughed at valve spring change being called unopened, all I am saying it don't matter what they call it as long as everyone lists there mods with there ET's, we cant stop people's interpenetration of what they want to call a class on any Forum.
Absolutely. That's what is all boils down to - and what you said earlier - being honest about what's done.
Old 30-04-2009, 08:44 PM   #32
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
So my post is rubbish? whilst something has been opened yes technically is opened, but this don't stop 2 other forums from or anyone else from making changes and still calling it an unopened class, anyone can call it what they like...fact is they call a valve spring change unopened on the ls1 and turbo sites.....gee they could have called it Arnold Horshack who really cares what its called...you call it unopened and I will call it a standard motor with a valve spring change..
I'm with you on this one Mark.

One of the reasons valve springs are now ignored on the other forum is because a certain valve spring type for the LS1 (916 from memory) looked identical to the stock beehive spring. Thus, to stop folk lying about valve spring mods (you could tell on the dyno when a car had modded valve springs) springs were ignored. I ran Patriot Golds in my VT GENIII along with Jesel valve train gear, GM Grand Am cam, JE pistons, Crower rods thus my engine was opened.

Unless the heads or sump has been removed or cams changed it's a stock motor with valve springs.

As mentioned there's usually no referrence to other modifications done to a car in the endevour to achieve a time; race fuel, slicks and front runners filled with helium, removal of A/C and interiors, spare wheels, spare wheel assemblies, installation of race seats and so on and so forth.

Last edited by Romulus; 30-04-2009 at 08:50 PM.
Romulus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2009, 10:16 PM   #33
schnoods
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I agree entirely with Chris's post.

I can understand from the LS1's point of view, the valve train is the weak link in most cases and in order to set records, its a given that they allow it.

Even the cam only classes, With some of the front runners having horrid cam profiles which look similar to matchboxes hanging off a bit of dowel, their ruling is designed to keep the class exciting, quick and yet allow the big hitters to compete.

It is opened in my opinion, it isnt when it is only an inspection, and i dare say a valve spring change would be fair to say stock internals, but not unopened..

The poll is also pretty inconclusive, I guess it depends on whether your in the hunt for a record whether you make a decision on whether you wanna go faster or keep it genuinely a unopened motor, then decide on the definition.....

95 EF XR8, Advance headers, Vortech V2 t trim blower, Ported Cobra Manifold, Capa Switch Chip Eliminator. 307 rwhp 395 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105mph

Now NA- AFR 165 heads, 1.6RR, Ported Cobra 269rwhp 14.2 ... needs stall and 4.11's

1977 CL Chrysler Panel Van, 360, 727 torqueflite auto soon to be restored.
schnoods is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2009, 02:09 PM   #34
Tucool
Donating Member
Donating Member2

I've infiltrated other forums in the last 24hrs that supposeably condone the use of valve springs and put the same question to them.... it seems that the "majority" agree that tampering with valve springs is considered opened...
only early days with numbers, but I will keep you informed
Tucool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2009, 04:10 PM   #35
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Thread can be followed on the xr6 turbo forum, here is the link.

http://www.fordxr6turbo.com/forum/in...howtopic=57279

Majority Definition: The amount or number by which one aggregate exceeds all other aggregates.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2009, 11:57 AM   #36
Tucool
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Default Good Rule...

Hey all,

I came across a great rule of thumb for the unopened debate ( at least I think so)... " If it touches oil then it's opened ".... This is from the LS1 forum.

I can't seem to find fault with it....if there is a loop hole please put it up for all to see. :monkes:
Old 03-05-2009, 12:22 PM   #37
yift
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Countless sensible, accurate mechanical advice on all things Falcon and Territory. 

what if you changed your (unopened no springs or rods changed)motor in your ba series1 to a bf series2 motor (service motor from ford spare parts)? are you still unopened?
yift is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2009, 05:49 PM   #38
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yift
what if you changed your (unopened no springs or rods changed)motor in your ba series1 to a bf series2 motor (service motor from ford spare parts)? are you still unopened?
What if you bought a brand new KB hemi and installed it?

where does it end..
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2009, 06:14 PM   #39
Tucool
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by yift

Unopened is unopened.... splitting hairs abit
Old 03-05-2009, 06:14 PM   #40
Mr. CVE
If it aint Blown it Sucks

My engine is unopened, the turbo upgrade was done AFTER the extractors !!
haha, just stirring the pot a bit :P
personally i beleieve no performance / strength / reliability enhancing products.
but I am not getting involved, as there is the whole car lightening debate as well !!
320 rwkw, 810 nm torque, 280rwkw @3000 rpm !! :thebirds:
Now for sale
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11296772

Thanks to Snort Performance, Headsex and CVE
Street car DeTomaso Pantera
Drag car 1995 Mustang, Haleys Comet ( It's back !)
Power by CVE
Melbourne's first SNIPER Tuner :
Now tuning E series
Mr. CVE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2009, 06:17 PM   #41
Tucool
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugget378

where does it end..
If that's how the car come in the first place I would have no problem with it

I bet it would be a pig to drive in traffic
Old 03-05-2009, 06:22 PM   #42
Tucool
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Default Many issues...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. CVE
My engine is unopened, the turbo upgrade was done AFTER the extractors !!
haha, just stirring the pot a bit :P
personally i beleieve no performance / strength / reliability enhancing products.
but I am not getting involved, as there is the whole car lightening debate as well !!
Yeah I know what you mean... but I'm only talking about motor..
I could not imagine taking bits off my car to make it lighter... I like her just the way she is...full weight and beautiful
Old 03-05-2009, 07:44 PM   #43
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucool
Hey all,

I came across a great rule of thumb for the unopened debate ( at least I think so)... " If it touches oil then it's opened ".... This is from the LS1 forum.
LS1.com.au were the 1st ones to allow a valve spring change and still call it unopened, if you look in ls1 nationals forum/thread they have written rules which they all use, its in there bolt-on/unopened class.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2009, 08:27 PM   #44
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugget378

where does it end..
blown or un blown...?

Old 03-05-2009, 08:44 PM   #45
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
blown or un blown...?
Does'nt really matter, as long as you never take the rocker covers off..
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2009, 08:52 PM   #46
Tucool
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
LS1.com.au were the 1st ones to allow a valve spring change and still call it unopened, if you look in ls1 nationals forum/thread they have written rules which they all use, its in there bolt-on/unopened class.
Yep I know that... that rule of thumb did come from a member of the LS1 forum...even that is divided with most replies agreeing "don't tamper"
I look at this way....why should we be like sheep and follow blindly just because someone decided to write down some rules that suited their cause
especially from the opposition... I try to understand the thinking...convince me of why there should exceptions... apart from the fact that it corrupts the definition of unopened in the English language.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:44 AM   #47
blueboost

this was brought about from ls1 because the valve springs where holding the rest of the motor back, by a fair bit, and very inconsistent between cars, so some would cheat and change them, leaving the one,s doing it right look slack.
i argued against it in the early day's, but we had just as bad a problem as them,
so most changed there springs as per the ls1 rules so we wwhere not left behind.
this worked well, because a lot of power has been made out of BA motors with valve springs done, insted of them staying back at about 280rkws.
FORD has raised the bar with BFturbo's to the stage where on some motors the springs can last longer then the bottom end.
this has Brought it up again, and i feel it would be good to have it that it was called (stock internals), and you just put (valve springs changed) after it if you have done it.
(unopened) has alway's been a shonky thing to call it, ford could have taken your tappet cover off even to check something.
flying the flag in North Queensland.
blueboost is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post