Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 02-12-2008, 03:57 PM   #1
Dropbear67
Starter Motor

Default Rear Speaker Options for 2007 hatch

Hey all.

Wondering what some options are for rear speakers - considering the stock Ford ones are pretty ordinary 6" ones at the bottom of the rear doors - what do other people do? put 6x9's in the back doors??

Not sure where else would be a suitable position to mount rears- especially larger ones.

Of course the other option is to replace the rear 6" with decent 6"'s and add a sub, but the position of the speakers where they are seems dumb to me.

Dropbear67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2008, 05:39 PM   #2
BlackLS
yum

All speakers around are 6.5", but they do have a spacer holding the speaker out. You could probably squeeze 6x9s in there but I have a strong dislike for 6x9s.

Really the rear speakers are there for fill and you should look at the fronts first.

If you don't want a sub box but nice bass, look into Dynamat-ting inside the front doors, and get a decent pair of splits, and amplify them.

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2008, 05:40 PM   #3
sumpPUMP
SUMPA's sedan

Build a half width shelf where the hatch cover is and carpet it... mount 6X9's in there.. easy. give it a bit of depth too so you cant see bottom of speaker when you open boot..
Old 02-12-2008, 08:22 PM   #4
Velociraptor82
Eat my Brake Dust

This is a question that has bothered me as well.

i understand from a prev thread that we could just change the speakers for the ones in the cabriolet. which sound really good.

I believe also that someone in the forums has actually done what sumpPUMP suggested and mounted a amp on the shelf as well.

what is involved in installing aftermarket speakers? does all the cabling need to be upgraded? New mounts fitted? And how much would someone be looking at for all that?
Small Ford Sunday 2010 - Best Modified Car presented by the EuroFord Club

If I'm going to Hell, I'm going in a Ford

Velociraptor82 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2008, 09:14 PM   #5
blue_focus

I have changed all the speakers in my focus and added a sub. I used alpine type R 6.5" splits and made new holes in the rear door for the tweeters in the front and rear. They sound really good. The speakers are all amplified and I have added a sub too. If you want good sound it is worth payin the little extra for decent speakers.
blue_focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2008, 09:16 PM   #6
blue_focus

In answer to your question. I changed all of my wiring as I used an aftermarket head unit and all speakers were running off an amp. I don't think it is really nesecary but it easier just to run new wiring than trying to find the old one's.
blue_focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2008, 09:35 PM   #7
Dropbear67
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumpPUMP
Build a half width shelf where the hatch cover is and carpet it... mount 6X9's in there.. easy. give it a bit of depth too so you cant see bottom of speaker when you open boot..

Thanks all for the suggestions - sump - you got any sort of pic or anything on what you mean?
Dropbear67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2008, 11:39 AM   #8
sumpPUMP
SUMPA's sedan

Umm i'll check for you tonight bcoz my bro did it in his old telstar.. looks goo if done properly..