Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 08-11-2008, 01:51 PM   #1
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Odometer faded

i have a problem with my odometer, was working fine last night but this morning when i turned her on it looked as though the 2 LCD screens weren't working, i had a closer look and it was still showing but very dim and you can't see anything on either screen in normal daylight, when i turned the headlights on it went back to normal, turn them off and it would fade out again.

anyone know whats up with that?

GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2008, 01:59 PM   #2
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

the backlight bulbs
pull the cluster out, bulbs are a coupla bucks each from ford. 10 min job, all you need is a screwdriver, some needle nose pliers to insert/remove the bulbs and of course, new bulbs
Old 08-11-2008, 02:51 PM   #3
Hords
Treasure your balls?

near top of instrument cluster are 2 plastic covers that hide screw heads. Remove these and screws and now you can slide the cluster assembly back. Just be sure to remove it squarely as it's a tight fit.
Old 08-11-2008, 08:47 PM   #4
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

seems there a few more electrical gremlins, this arvo one of the rear windows wouldn't go up, took awhile before it decided to work again, also the front map lights, they sometimes work and sometimes don't, i'm thinking its something bigger than a few bulbs behind the dash?
Old 08-11-2008, 09:26 PM   #5
Mr Hardware

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

i'd highly doubt it xr-chief, the problems you specify are absoultely normal AU problems and i'd highly doubt are linked at all.
power window switch? quick fix, take it out, disconnect it, give it a nice squirt with carby cleaner, let dry, put back in, profit.
front map lights? i assume you mean the lights above rear view mirror sort of thing? yeah, same with mine, it's the switches. i haven't gotten around to fixing them yet.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:38 PM   #6
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
i'd highly doubt it xr-chief, the problems you specify are absoultely normal AU problems and i'd highly doubt are linked at all.
power window switch? quick fix, take it out, disconnect it, give it a nice squirt with carby cleaner, let dry, put back in, profit.
front map lights? i assume you mean the lights above rear view mirror sort of thing? yeah, same with mine, it's the switches. i haven't gotten around to fixing them yet.

cheers mate didn't know they were common problems, only had the car a few days, and today everything seemed to just go on us.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:58 PM   #7
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

alright so i cleaned the contact pieces in all four doors but the rear windows still won't go up or down from their own switch, works fine from drivers switch though, also when i lock the car with the remote the front doors lock fine but lift the rear handle and it will unlock the car! not good.

should mention it happens on both rear doors, could this be the actuator problem?
Old 09-11-2008, 11:42 PM   #8
Mr Hardware

hi again xr-chief
the electric window switch problem, does it only occur on one of the rear doors or either/both? I'd be inclined to swap the switches around between doors just to double check that it is a switch problem, i'd be highly surprised if it isn't though.

as for the rear doors, yeah. sounds like stuffed actuators. i had my drivers door lock actuator go on me, and i had a reco actuator supplied and fitted for $77part $77labour.

I hope this is the last of the problems with your AU mate, and if it ain't, i hope you got it for a rather good price...
Old 10-11-2008, 12:00 AM   #9
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
hi again xr-chief
the electric window switch problem, does it only occur on one of the rear doors or either/both? I'd be inclined to swap the switches around between doors just to double check that it is a switch problem, i'd be highly surprised if it isn't though.

as for the rear doors, yeah. sounds like stuffed actuators. i had my drivers door lock actuator go on me, and i had a reco actuator supplied and fitted for $77part $77labour.

I hope this is the last of the problems with your AU mate, and if it ain't, i hope you got it for a rather good price...
thanks for all the help mate, i appreciate it.
yep its both rear doors, thankfully i've got a 30day warrenty from the dealer, so will take it back to them and get them to fix what i haven't been able to.

got it for a pretty good price, but would rather not have the problems :
Old 10-11-2008, 12:12 AM   #10
Mr Hardware

30 day warranty?
: : : : : :
Go Crazy! Go over every conceivable part of the car! Find everything that's broken! Hound the crap out of them! Gogogogogogogogogogogogo