Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 05-07-2005, 12:25 PM   #1
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Le Tour De France

Anyone on here follow the tour?

Iv'e never been into pushies, but can't resist watching this race every night over a one month period once a year.

Don't know what it is but I just find it intersting. And the Aussies always kick some **** in the sprints.

Any tips on the winner this year?

1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2005, 01:02 PM   #2
Hawk
I am The Brain!

I like the Tour. I can't say I follow cycling a lot, but I keep up with what is generally happening in the great race.

Lance Armstrong will win again overall, with Tom Boonan to win the sprints.

Woohoo 1.6L 1999 Toyota Corolla....feel the power!

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant.
Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2005, 01:18 PM   #3
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i was just over there, ill watch to see if they go where I went.
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2005, 01:19 PM   #4
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Isnt it the most bizarre sport?!? The way the peleton is happy to just sit there for day after day after day... no one making any bold moves... just plugging away.

I dont really understand it all...

Love the coverage tho, the scenery and those beautiful roads....
Old 05-07-2005, 01:29 PM   #5
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.9 EF Futura
Isnt it the most bizarre sport?!? The way the peleton is happy to just sit there for day after day after day... no one making any bold moves... just plugging away.

I guess thats the nature of the race - its a struggle just to survive and reach the end hence why they all sit in each other slipstream in the peleton with the occasion breaks made. I love watching the really tough mountain stages when the group gets all split up and the top riders like Armstrong really shine.

I'd have to say my favorite though is the German - Jan Ullrich
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2005, 04:25 PM   #6
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

No bold moves? 3 riders in a 200km break only to be chased down within 2km of the line, I call that bold!
Old 05-07-2005, 10:09 PM   #7
Falchoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.9 EF Futura

Even though they appear to be just cruising they are in fact going quite quick, probaly average 50-60km/h. Remember this is over 200+km for 20 or so days!

Last year when I was a lot fitter I once rode about 215km in one day (not racing) from Canberra to Goulburn and back and took a week to recover!

I hope Lance Armstrong wins again, just so he can retire on a high.

I also hope that Cadel Evans can get a place in the top 10.

Robbie McEwan was a bit over enthusiastic in the sprint to the finish and clashed with Stuart O'Grady and was later disqualified from the third stage.

Some more TDF info
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2005, 10:21 PM   #8
cogdoc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I live for the tour, and all I can say is I've been waiting ten years to see McEwan finally get what he deserves. Last place penalty, how's them apples?

As much as I idolise Lance ( I have a Lance replica bike ) it is becomming a bit of a one man race. I hope he gets some good competition this year in the mountains.
Old 06-07-2005, 04:41 AM   #9
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

I would liek to see Lance do one more as it will be his last year. If he does do it and then comes back next year, I hope they knock him off his perch. I would like to see such a great champion leave on a high. Have you guys read his books? Amazing!
Old 06-07-2005, 10:32 PM   #10
cogdoc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lance has promised to retire this year after the tour. He'd have to be set for life in the US I'd reckon.

Last edited by cogdoc; 06-07-2005 at 10:39 PM.
cogdoc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2005, 12:52 AM   #11
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

I just hope he doesn't do what a lot of others do, keep coming back until they are a nobody. Lance will never have to work again, he is loaded. He gives more money away to charity than I earn each year,
Old 07-07-2005, 08:38 PM   #12
cogdoc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd bet he'll only retire from the big races like the Tour and Giro de Italia, but he'll pop up round the place in smaller races. As if he of all people could stop pedalling......