Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 30-10-2006, 04:13 PM   #1
h0mbre
Starter Motor

Default Alternator warning lamp?

Hey guys

Just registered today, what a wealth of information this site is!!, much better than the forums for my Mazda :P

Unfortunately I got side tracked and ended up reading other articles while looking to find some info on the battery lamp which I've learnt is the alternator warning lamp, search brought up nothing so I thought I'd make a thread.

Old man has a 2000 AU Falcon Forte, called me up today saying the car won't start and he's stuck, I left uni and drove to where he was and straight away knew the battery was flat so I gave it a jump start and it started fine but I could tell power was low (dash lights were barely on).

Battery was old so we bought a new one but I'm pretty sure the battery isn't the problem here.

The Alternator Lamp is still lit, does this mean the alternator is borked?

What else can cause the lamp to come on?

Cheers guys, thanks in advance

Mun

h0mbre is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2006, 04:54 PM   #2
james22
With da Warlords

Check your Earth and Negative battery terminal, a bad earth will show as an alternator light, alternatively (excuse the pun lol) it could also be as you said and the alternator has shat itself.

Check your battery leads, earth & the two plugs that go to your alternator and make sure its all tight and secure. If the lights still on after that, maybe you should look into a rebuilt unit.

P.S. Welcome to the Forums mate

On another thought. If you could put the instrument cluster into diagnostics mode, you will be able to go to page 5 i think, and it will give you a reading of battery voltage. If this voltage is approx 14v when running you'll know the alternator is charging the battery. If it reads 12v or lower then you've got your problem.

For Sale: Parachute. Only used once, never opened, small stain.

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

XR50T Ute - 300rwkw (give or take depending on the day)
james22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2006, 09:37 PM   #3
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by james22
Check your Earth and Negative battery terminal, a bad earth will show as an alternator light, alternatively (excuse the pun lol) it could also be as you said and the alternator has shat itself.

Check your battery leads, earth & the two plugs that go to your alternator and make sure its all tight and secure. If the lights still on after that, maybe you should look into a rebuilt unit.

P.S. Welcome to the Forums mate

On another thought. If you could put the instrument cluster into diagnostics mode, you will be able to go to page 5 i think, and it will give you a reading of battery voltage. If this voltage is approx 14v when running you'll know the alternator is charging the battery. If it reads 12v or lower then you've got your problem.
Good advice James!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2006, 11:47 PM   #4
Maxxr8
Starter Motor

Also check that your power steering hose has'nt been leaking fluid into the alternator as i found out 2 weeks ago, the light was coming off and on for a few days before i found the prob cheers Max AU XR6 111
Maxxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2006, 08:07 PM   #5
h0mbre
Starter Motor

Thanks so much for the help guys

Turned out it was caused by a power steering leak from a few weeks ago.

Mechanic also pointed out that the radiator may need fixing or to be replaced, whats the going price on a AU radiator?

Once again thanks for the replies, I'll be reading these forums more often now

Mun
h0mbre is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2008, 12:01 PM   #6
iwannaford

Sorry to resume the dead, but not buried, did the alternator end up need replacing after power steering fluid leaked inside it?
iwannaford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post