Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 15-07-2008, 12:56 AM   #31
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthAu
Is an n/a I6 really legal with the aditions of a 3" exhaust and cam?
Depends on noise levels and if it can pass compliance... Perhaps then the only legal/safe way to mod is for manufacturers of performance to make performance parts which are adr and emissions compliant as a choice.

Ford could have easily wacked a nice blower on the xr6's as standard for performance .Instead they fitted newer cars with turbos which go nowhere when you floor them until they build up boost. Not exactly my cup of tea when it comes to a performance car. Perhaps I may go past a ford dealer and drive the new xr6t to convince myself they pack enough excitement for me to part with the money.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2008, 01:19 AM   #32
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Even the grandpa toyotas have superchargers
http://www.themotorreport.com.au/147...ing-the-bland/

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Old 15-07-2008, 02:12 AM   #33
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has helped a number of AFF members with their cars, particularly with EEC tuning Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with sound technical advice. 

hehe my EA with 3inch straight thru system megaflow muffler, was 116db.
Old 15-07-2008, 02:25 PM   #34
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

I looked into supercharging for a while also until I found out about all the legal issues and extra costs, which I have since forgotten. I just love the fact it's always running and makes that whiny sound with the revs and old Spitfire fighters in the Battle of Britain had them and all that.

Is it possible that an aftermarket house can produce a supercharging "kit" with pre-certified compliance in agreement with the govt, that can only be fitted to cars with certain types of mods? Then they can go through a reduced inspection / testing period to be properly certified.

I've been told mixed news about the fuel economy, but the way it works suggests it is negative in today's quite heavy traffic.

Call me crazy but what about a clutch that is controlled by a cockpit switch that can engage and disengage the supercharging unit, as well as letting the air bypass its intake for normal "stock" pressures? That way general day to day driving can be uneffected.

There was also this guy around my area with a green Commodore wagon that had one, with a BOV. The thing sounded like a truck and you could hear him coming from half a kilometre away on a quiet night. When he put the pedal down it was like a drag strip - the noise was just so illegal. Eventually he had it toned down and now I don't notice him, but before I always knew when he was coming by.

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2008, 04:00 PM   #35
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'v only had mine fitted for a couple of weeks, but as far as fuel consumption goes I'd have to say it would seem to improve it when driving normally.
Prior to fitting the blower I had the diff gears changed from stock 3.08 to 3.89's but between the time these were fitted and the blower was, I didn't travel more then 100km's so am unable to judge how much the gears effected the fuel consumption.

Since fitting the supercharger my economy seems to be more or less unchanged from prior to fitting the diff gears, on the first two tanks prior to having it checked on the dyno my average worked out per tank was between 12 and 13L's per 100km's with both tanks I wasn't giving it much stick. On the last tank economy was more then 16L/100km, but this included 14 wot dyno runs and a fair bit of flat footed driving.
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2008, 06:48 PM   #36
Stav
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauphin
I looked into supercharging for a while also until I found out about all the legal issues and extra costs, which I have since forgotten. I just love the fact it's always running and makes that whiny sound with the revs and old Spitfire fighters in the Battle of Britain had them and all that.

Is it possible that an aftermarket house can produce a supercharging "kit" with pre-certified compliance in agreement with the govt, that can only be fitted to cars with certain types of mods? Then they can go through a reduced inspection / testing period to be properly certified.

I've been told mixed news about the fuel economy, but the way it works suggests it is negative in today's quite heavy traffic.

Call me crazy but what about a clutch that is controlled by a cockpit switch that can engage and disengage the supercharging unit, as well as letting the air bypass its intake for normal "stock" pressures? That way general day to day driving can be uneffected.

There was also this guy around my area with a green Commodore wagon that had one, with a BOV. The thing sounded like a truck and you could hear him coming from half a kilometre away on a quiet night. When he put the pedal down it was like a drag strip - the noise was just so illegal. Eventually he had it toned down and now I don't notice him, but before I always knew when he was coming by.
The main problem is emmissions. The main culprit is carbon and nitrogen oxides. If the car runs a bit rich carbon dioxide,monoxide go high in the exhaust.If the car runs a tad leaner nitrogen oxides go higher.I spent time on the telephone to RTA emissions testing coordinator yesterday and he was a nice bloke. While we have been led to believe that stociometric is 14.7 :1 air fuel ,he distinctly said the least emmisssions are at 14.5:1. They chuck the car on a dyno up to 90 kmph at light load and check emissions each stage. I am under the impression that holding a close to 14.5 airfuel ratio may result in a pass. I am not sure if I am right. Perhaps a bigger cam cannot pass emissions even if at stociometric 14.7:1.

One thing that totally confuses me is how a stock ford au ever passed emmissions when they were made. Every stock ford au I have seen on a dyno runs pig rich in the midrange.The carbon emmisions on a stock au must be high.

Old 15-07-2008, 08:46 PM   #37
sly
Sly like a G6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stav
One thing that totally confuses me is how a stock ford au ever passed emmissions when they were made. Every stock ford au I have seen on a dyno runs pig rich in the midrange.The carbon emmisions on a stock au must be high.
That would be at WOT which uses fixed maps (ie open loop). At light throttle openings and at warm idle it uses closed loop which targets stoichiometric, and in lean cruise it can go out to 17:1.

Don't forget the official ADR tests are drive-cycles. The total emissions over the drive cycle are what counts, not transient emissions at any point. And the cat's job is to take care of a heap of those emissions... make sure yours is in good shape if you go this way.
The Frankenfalcon... AU1.5 Wagon, BA brakes, AU2 booster, BA2 XR6T engine, stock from airbox to turbo, 8psi/98 octane tune 240RWKW, BF XR6T cat, quiet 3" zorst, Pex BSO660 & BSO439 mufflers, 84 db, built BTR box, 3.08 LSD, Emer SVI LPG, AU1 XR8 alloys, Momo wheel, JVC KDR746BT head unit, Aerpro steering wheel control wiring.

Sleeper, anyone?
sly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2008, 08:50 PM   #38
sly
Sly like a G6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauphin
That supposedly is what CAPA do, which theoretically accounts for some of their price premium over other suppliers.
The Frankenfalcon... AU1.5 Wagon, BA brakes, AU2 booster, BA2 XR6T engine, stock from airbox to turbo, 8psi/98 octane tune 240RWKW, BF XR6T cat, quiet 3" zorst, Pex BSO660 & BSO439 mufflers, 84 db, built BTR box, 3.08 LSD, Emer SVI LPG, AU1 XR8 alloys, Momo wheel, JVC KDR746BT head unit, Aerpro steering wheel control wiring.

Sleeper, anyone?
Old 15-07-2008, 08:52 PM   #39
Stav
Smile

If I can get a big enough system I may go sc with lpg.I then should be able to crank up the boost as well.

Old 15-07-2008, 08:53 PM   #40
Stav
Smile

300 rwkws will be obtainable and I wont be paying alot to fuel the car.What more can a man want?

Old 15-07-2008, 08:56 PM   #41
sly
Sly like a G6

Quote:
I need a genius exhaust shop if I am going to proceed here.Rang an engineer today. He'll talk to me at his office at a fee.
I have one of the best exhaust blokes in NSW barely a 10-minute drive away... Cobra builders in Sydney come up to him for custom systems.

Talk to some of the performance shops and any hot-rodders you meet about the engineers in Sydney. Some are more constructive than others... there are about 6 in Newy but I've had numerous references to 1 and only 1. His wife's daily drive is a 350/350'd Volvo 264...

Sleeper, anyone?
Old 15-07-2008, 09:02 PM   #42
Stav
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by sly
That would be at WOT which uses fixed maps (ie open loop). At light throttle openings and at warm idle it uses closed loop which targets stoichiometric, and in lean cruise it can go out to 17:1.

Don't forget the official ADR tests are drive-cycles. The total emissions over the drive cycle are what counts, not transient emissions at any point. And the cat's job is to take care of a heap of those emissions... make sure yours is in good shape if you go this way.
At 17:1 the nox emmisions would be higher.You would have to assume that a well tuned car should be alot better than that. They have free emmisions testing for the general public to check emmisions of cars compared to new.

So the results of the test are for the total test ..correct?

Old 15-07-2008, 09:04 PM   #43
Stav
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by sly
I have one of the best exhaust blokes in NSW barely a 10-minute drive away... Cobra builders in Sydney come up to him for custom systems.

Talk to some of the performance shops and any hot-rodders you meet about the engineers in Sydney. Some are more constructive than others... there are about 6 in Newy but I've had numerous references to 1 and only 1. His wife's daily drive is a 350/350'd Volvo 264...
My bro in law is a member of the cobra club.I didnt even think to ask him who did his engineering or exhaust.

Old 15-07-2008, 09:10 PM   #44
burnz
VFII SS UTE

stav i not shure what type of blower would suit you ??
i had a vr ss with a littlefield pd, that was a nightmare on the street trying not to drill the car in front.
but a vortek/sprinteck type is more gentle (for lack of better word's).

so now the "forced" bug has bitten and how, so keep me informed on what you do
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2008, 10:27 PM   #45
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
300 rwkws will be obtainable and I wont be paying alot to fuel the car.What more can a man want?
What centrifugal sc are you planning to run to get 300rwkw out of the AU?
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2008, 11:33 PM   #46
5litreeb
Starter Motor

Default aublownutev8

Quote:
What can I say? What can I say ? I was very fortunate to get the phone call today to install a single boost gauge to an au1 xr8 with a blower. The customer who's identity and privacy I respect took me for a drive. All I can say is omg!!! This car was simply amazing!! This car has totally changed my views on getting a turbo charged car in future . This car was very streetable and a tap of the accelerator resulted in instant massive torque with no lag!! Any more throttle and it was wheelspin city..

I am seriously contemplating not getting a ba in future but supercharging the wagon!! I know it is expensive but after today I know a ba turbo is no comparison for the street.Totally different power delivery!!

Yes the autometer boost gauge worked well too
having just been 4 a ride in a au v8 blown ute manual i couldnt believe the torque side mount
5litreeb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2008, 11:56 PM   #47
Stav
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5litreeb
having just been 4 a ride in a au v8 blown ute manual i couldnt believe the torque side mount
I believe it mate.I think once in a lifetime...we owe it to ourselves to hitch a ride in a blown au v8..just amazing.

Old 16-07-2008, 01:03 PM   #48
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
I believe it mate.I think once in a lifetime...we owe it to ourselves to hitch a ride in a blown au v8..just amazing.
Once in a lifetime, sheesh, you're easily impressed Stav.

Seriously though, virtually any forced donk will perform outta this world if the boost is screwed up enough.
It then simply becomes a challenge to hold the engine together, and that ain't rocket science either.
Don't forget a forced 2L 4 pot can have similar overall characterisitics to a 6L V8 with enough boost.
BTW, I reckon turbos are the go.
Old 16-07-2008, 03:18 PM   #49
sly
Sly like a G6

Quote:
At 17:1 the nox emmisions would be higher.You would have to assume that a well tuned car should be alot better than that. They have free emmisions testing for the general public to check emmisions of cars compared to new.

So the results of the test are for the total test ..correct?
No the factory calibration for a new, well-tuned car is as lean as 17:1 in lean cruise mode. This would only be used at light loads (in top gear with the torque converter locked in an auto) at cruising speeds (say 80 - 110 km/h). Bear in mind that lean cruise, like WOT, makes up only a very small part of the typical car's driving time. Thankfully they don't have a special test for people who spend 50% or more of their time at WOT

Yes the test measures total emissions over the drive cycle (the whole test). So there can be some trade-offs along the way, a lot of HC at WOT, a lot of NOx in lean cruise, can be offset by closed-loop emissions that are well under the limit.

One thing to watch is that the RTA's test cell measures emissions from the whole car, not just the tailpipe. So a fuel or oil leak can send your HC sky-high. Check that your diff breather hose isn't broken between the diff and the body, a common problem on AU wagons. I've never traced mine but I'd guess the fumes go into the intake somewhere so they can be burnt and processed by the cat. Also if you have any engine oil leaks they'll need to be fixed and the engine steam-cleaned or similar.

Sleeper, anyone?
Old 16-07-2008, 07:08 PM   #50
sly
Sly like a G6

stav, am suffering bad form flu & fever. have lost interest in food & internet... not good 4 a lardy like me... jus wan 2 curl up & die atm... have some good stuff to post but is long post, not cohohererent enough atm to mpost, will get back 2u when feeling better...

Sleeper, anyone?