Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 15-07-2008, 11:21 PM   #1
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 
Default Diesel like sound

When my car is in gear and idling (say at a fast food drive thru)... it sounds like a dirty old diesel... but more metalic :

I think it could be part of the exhaust, but not sure if its something under the bonnet (yes i know part of the exhaust is under the bonnet also, so no sarcasm is required there : )

Any suggestions?

Old 15-07-2008, 11:26 PM   #2
BIGJB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Shove ya head under the car belt the cat with ya fist and see if it rattles. Would be the first thing i'd look at.
BIGJB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2008, 11:30 PM   #3
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99GHIA
Shove ya head under the car belt the cat with ya fist and see if it rattles. Would be the first thing i'd look at.
I dont have a cat... she lives with my parents :(
Old 16-07-2008, 08:41 AM   #4
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Could be a stuck lifter ... is the idle a little rougher than normal????
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2008, 08:54 AM   #5
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEPRINT
I dont have a cat... she lives with my parents :(

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2008, 11:13 AM   #6
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
Could be a stuck lifter ... is the idle a little rougher than normal????
The idle is fine actually... tis a weird one... but it sounds like a heavy vibration...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushbasher
:monkes: I couldnt help that one
Old 16-07-2008, 11:30 AM   #7
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

If it's only happening at idle it suggests something loose that only rattles with engine vibration at idle so check the cat converter as suggested and maybe the exhaust clamps, you may have one that has come loose . The only other thing I can think of if it's not something internal in the engine is maybe the bearing in the serpentine belt tensioner if it's under the bonnet but you should be able to pick that from the location of the noise.Underneath would suggest exhaust, under bonnet would suggest pulley or maybe also exhaust heat shield coming loose now that I think of it. Along the same lines of metal coming loose and rattling on metal, check all the metal fluid lines where they clamp to the body or chassis, you may have a broken clamp causing a pipe to contact the chassis or body. Everything else under the bonnet that might come loose and potentially rattle is plastic I reckon so would make a different kind of noise. Hope that helps; if not, at least it'll keep you occupied for a little while eliminating suspects, :

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2008, 11:38 AM   #8
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushbasher
if not, at least it'll keep you occupied for a little while eliminating suspects, :
Jeez... thanks... :