Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Ford Forums Central > Site Support

Site Support If something isn't working or you have a suggestion ( a nice one !! ) let us know here.

Closed Thread

Old 30-01-2008, 12:54 AM   #1
AusM
AusMotorsport

Default PM read receipts - turn off permanently

I've searched high and low, so sorry if I've missed a setting or a post, but is there anyway to turn off the annoying popup requesting read receipts to/from someone via Personal Messaging?

Some other forums have the option in User CP - and from a bit of research, this is how a forum admin can give users the option:

Quote:
AdminCP > Usergroups > Usergroup Manager > Click on Go for the usergroups you dont want to have this option > Private Message Permissions > Can Use Message Tracking > Set to NO
Quote:
Edit each Usergroup and select 'No' for "Can Use Message Tracking" and "Can Deny Private Message Read Receipt Request".
Any chance we can get this option enabled pleeeeeeaassseee!!!!

Old 30-01-2008, 01:02 AM   #2
FRDGAL
GT-P #0336

I think it would also be good to have the option of cancelling a pm. Sometimes I accidentally send a PM to the wrong person but after you've hit that submit button, nothing can be done. Be good to have the option of cancelling the send.
2003 FULLY OPTIONED MERCURY SILVER BA GT-P BUILD #336
REVERSE CAMERA - SAT NAV - PIONEER SUB & AMP - SUNROOF - DVD PLAYER - CUSTOM DUAL EXHAUST
~Tuned By Bluepower Racing~
Old 30-01-2008, 10:16 AM   #3
AU2PWR
Spin 'em Habib !

Or having a Function to Read the PM without the Other Person Seeing that you have read it ..

Old 30-01-2008, 10:29 AM   #4
Allen
You win again, gravity!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU2PWR
Or having a Function to Read the PM without the Other Person Seeing that you have read it ..
I think that happens anyway... Every time I request a read receipt, I never get notification of it being read, even after the person has replied to me...

I vote just get rid of the read receipt system altogether, as it never seems to work for me and is just another annoying pop-up.

SOON TO BE A TRACK CAR
Old 30-01-2008, 10:29 AM   #5
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

Quote:
that kind of defeats the purpose though of a pm doesn't it?

Old 30-01-2008, 11:26 AM   #6
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFdesign
I've searched high and low, so sorry if I've missed a setting or a post, but is there anyway to turn off the annoying popup requesting read receipts to/from someone via Personal Messaging?

Some other forums have the option in User CP - and from a bit of research, this is how a forum admin can give users the option:

Hi Jason

As you have noted it is a usergroup permission based option and not an individual user option - thus the majority of the user group would have to want it deactivated before we could do so.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 30-01-2008, 11:29 AM   #7
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Quote:
This is another global option that is enabled for some user groups anyway but not one that should be enabled globally as the sender should be able to know whether it has been read or not.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 30-01-2008, 11:48 AM   #8
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Personally I think the pop up is fine. It helps to know if someone has read your PM especially if you deem that PM important and unsure if people are reading or just deleting.

Some people are so arrogant they don't click on the yes read bit or they don't bother to reply to your PM. If you don't like PMs ask for that to be removed so no-one can PM you in the first place, that could be done most likely, not sure.

I use it within our club section so I know that members are getting the information etc, so no-one can turn around and say that I didn't send something. (hoping this function is not taken away as it makes things simple)

I wouldn't have thought it a huge deal but there you go :
Old 31-01-2008, 12:00 AM   #9
AusM
AusMotorsport

:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiery
Personally I think the pop up is fine. It helps to know if someone has read your PM especially if you deem that PM important and unsure if people are reading or just deleting.
Why not give people the choice?

If they don't want to notify the other person, they click Cancel anyway, so the system is useless for proving that the PM was read and is just annoying.

Give people a choice, PLEASE, all it takes is a tickbox in your admin panel!
Old 31-01-2008, 12:07 AM   #10
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Quote:
:Why not give people the choice?

If they don't want to notify the other person, they click Cancel anyway, so the system is useless for proving that the PM was read and is just annoying.

Did you read my response? It is a group based setting so it cannot be a matter of individual choice and one user cannot dictate for everyone else in the user group they belong to.

Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 31-01-2008, 02:52 AM   #11
1stLSturbo
Not sure if I am?

Red face

Quote:
:Why not give people the choice?

Well, stupid me for sending you a PM and not just ****ing it out on the forums for ALL and SUNDRY lol.

Windows Vista E-Mail (the successor to Outlook Express) has a lovley option of "request e-mail receipt" that is so obvious to even the most geriatric of users.

Soz for talking to ya. My bad
Designed in Germany, Built in RSA, enhanced and refined by BTA Motorsports Australia
Old 31-01-2008, 02:57 AM   #12
1stLSturbo
Not sure if I am?

Smile

Quote:

Severe and extruicating shift in to Reverse Gear. You are talikng IM, NOT emai??. If you are talking IM, my humblest and most sincere apologies.

I thought you were talking about read receipts with regard to email.

Kind regars (^_^)_
Designed in Germany, Built in RSA, enhanced and refined by BTA Motorsports Australia
Old 31-01-2008, 10:32 AM   #13
wulos
Forum Director

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind-the-scenes effort. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his advice, tips/tricks in the Art and Photography section of the Forum. 

1stLSTurbo - Firstly welcome to the Forums.
The issues being discussed in this thread are concerning the internal pm system, and nothing to do with emails.
Old 31-01-2008, 01:16 PM   #14
AusM
AusMotorsport

"Can Deny Private Message Read Receipt Request"
Enabling this option will let users decide whether or not they want to see the popup for sending/receiving PM receipts.

Quote:
This is another global option that is enabled for some user groups anyway but not one that should be enabled globally as the sender should be able to know whether it has been read or not.
The point is the sender can never really know if the message has been read if the receiver clicks Cancel when they get the annoying popup. So the system does not prove receipt and for the sake of giving users a choice, the option should be enabled.
Old 31-01-2008, 01:42 PM   #15
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

I like the read receipt thing but I have the "popup" when a new PM is received turned off. I get to em when I get to em!!
But with some people having flakey Pc connections and with the forums getting it's beautiful overhaul in the past few days, it is good to keep the read receipt feature
Old 31-01-2008, 01:59 PM   #16
Abacus
Life's a Gas

I'd rather see it turned off. I figure the PM will get read when the recipient gets around to it.
Old 31-01-2008, 02:04 PM   #17
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

Just read Plext comment in the other thread started by PFDesign in the Bar and good for you Plext.

I think you have done a great job and there is no pleasin all of the people all of the time. I think when we got a sneak peak at the new design it looked awesome!! Keep up the great work!
Old 31-01-2008, 02:11 PM   #18
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw
Hi Jason

As you have noted it is a usergroup permission based option and not an individual user option - thus the majority of the user group would have to want it deactivated before we could do so.

Cheers
Russ
So >20,000 people need to reply to this thread in order for this to go ahead? :P

Copy/pasting the petition list (assuming >20,000 people actually voiced their concern here) would be a nightmare lol
Old 31-01-2008, 10:23 PM   #19
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghia5L
So >20,000 people need to reply to this thread in order for this to go ahead? :P

Copy/pasting the petition list (assuming >20,000 people actually voiced their concern here) would be a nightmare lol
Says he who copied and pasted the giant chuck norris post... hehe

Just playin D4V3..

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

Old 31-01-2008, 11:08 PM   #20
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghia5L

Your misinterpreting the minimum number required to gain interest let alone inflicting any form of motivation for change.

I would suggest in comparison a zip chain forming a complete circle around the earth, several times, would be suitable!
Old 01-02-2008, 12:00 AM   #21
AusM
AusMotorsport

Some want it, some don't. Some say they want it because it lets them know when someone reads their PM - but it doesn't because users can click Cancel. Sounds like people want a choice.

Looking forward to the next version, till then, no PMs...
Old 01-02-2008, 12:01 AM   #22
AusM
AusMotorsport

Oh, and Laminge, if you're worried about petrol (see closed thread), time to get you into a Priius!
Old 01-02-2008, 12:04 AM   #23
AusM
AusMotorsport

Quote:
<table class="tborder" align="center" border="0" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr valign="top"><td class="alt2" width="175"> <font=tahoma>svo347</font=tahoma> <script type="text/javascript"> vbmenu_register(&quot;postmenu_1961937", true); </script>
In the "House of Windsor"

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

</td> <td class="alt1"> [img]images/icons/icon1.gif[/img]
<hr style="color: rgb(102, 153, 204);" size="1"> I personally like to know if i send a pm the receiving party has actually read it
Quote:
<table border="0" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td style="border: 1px inset ;" class="alt2"> Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
My 2c anyway.

</td> </tr> </tbody></table>

Quote:
<table border="0" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td style="border: 1px inset ;" class="alt2"> Originally Posted by 347_XR8
I got an XR, not a sprint. But just as good, if not better ;)

</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="alt2"> [img]images/statusicon/user_online.gif[/img] [img]images/buttons/report.gif[/img] </td> <td class="alt1" align="right"> [img]images/buttons/quote.gif[/img] </td> </tr> </tbody></table> <table border="0" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="1" width=""> <tbody><tr> <td class="thead">svo347
</td> </tr> <tr><td class="vbmenu_option" style="cursor: default;">View Public Profile
</td></tr> <tr><td class="vbmenu_option" style="cursor: default;">Send a private message to svo347
</td></tr> <tr><td class="vbmenu_option" style="cursor: default;">Find More Posts by svo347
</td></tr> <tr><td class="vbmenu_option" style="cursor: default;">Add svo347 to Your Buddy List
</td></tr> </tbody></table>
<table class="tborder" align="center" border="0" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr> <td style="font-weight: normal;" class="thead"> [img]images/statusicon/post_new.gif[/img] Today, 07:00 PM </td> <td style="font-weight: normal;" class="thead" align="right"> #11 </td> </tr> <tr valign="top"> <td class="alt2" width="175"> XD 351 Ute <script type="text/javascript"> vbmenu_register(&quot;postmenu_1962194", true); </script>
Excessive Fuel Ingestion

[img]images/misc/im_icq.gif[/img]

</td> <td class="alt1"> [img]images/icons/icon1.gif[/img]
<hr style="color: rgb(102, 153, 204);" size="1"> Quote:
<table border="0" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td style="border: 1px inset ;" class="alt2"> Originally Posted by svo347
I personally like to know if i send a pm the receiving party has actually read it

x 2.

Ed
</td></tr></tbody></table>
You don't know when someone's read it if they click Cancel when given the option to send a return receipt. So the system doesn't work for confirming receipt in that instance...
Closed Thread