Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 30-10-2007, 01:05 AM   #1
gtfpv
GT

Question Lateline ???

I JUST WATCHED LATELINE . IT IS MONDAY NIGHT . IT WAS ALL about home affordability . and interest rates going up causing hardship, in the seat of LINDSEY. thats my electorate. i wasn't impressed , because they said houses have plumeted 10 % here in the last 4 years , and that heaps of for sale signs are going up from hardship. because of inflation and higher interest rates. and no buyers out there to buy them .
furthermore the expect this trend to continue here indefinately. it's a good thing i'm not thinking of selling . but still dissapointing knowing it's not a given option.

anyhow . does anyone know if lateline repeats through the week ????????
i only got the end of the story .
cheers .

gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2007, 01:34 AM   #2
davocol
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They show all episodes on their website, however it does not appear to have been updated yet http://abc.net.au/lateline/
Old 30-10-2007, 01:41 AM   #3
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Also if you have digital tv, it may repeat during the week on ABC2.
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2007, 02:16 AM   #4
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
I JUST WATCHED LATELINE . IT IS MONDAY NIGHT . IT WAS ALL about home affordability . and interest rates going up causing hardship, in the seat of LINDSEY. thats my electorate. i wasn't impressed , because they said houses have plumeted 10 % here in the last 4 years , and that heaps of for sale signs are going up from hardship. because of inflation and higher interest rates. and no buyers out there to buy them .
furthermore the expect this trend to continue here indefinately. it's a good thing i'm not thinking of selling . but still dissapointing knowing it's not a given option.

anyhow . does anyone know if lateline repeats through the week ????????
i only got the end of the story .
cheers .
It's certainly a very tough market and a big political issue. I'm one of the children of the Baby Boomer generation holding off not sure what to do. Do I commit to an uncertain market and do my best, or sit on it, save my cash earning 6.4% interest and try some short/mid term investing while I rent to give me some breathing space?!! I refuse to blame John Howard or any political party for it, we can't blame any government for our own search for success and prosperity!! Liberal, Labour, I refuse to accept anyone blaming a government for house prices. Sure some policies have an affect such as stamp duty relief from grants, but in the end, I blame my parents and their generation more than I blame John Howard. But then I don't blame my parents generation with any sour feelings since they had no choice with limited superannuation, as it only really came online inthe last 15-20 years anyway! In their position, I'd have done exactly the same - invest in real estate.

Either way, each person has to decide for themsevles, there's no uniform answer. The only thing I know for sure is my generation is reportedly now forking out half as much per week (compared with getting a mortgage) to rent within 15-20km of the city than to buy 40km away - a "lifestyle choice". I'm part of that trend and it's just how it is. I'll just put up, work hard and do my best to make sure I'm not completely wasting my money. Hopefully that measn that I won't be one of those so desperate to get 100% finance tomorrow and work for a few more years to front up with 20% cash ready to go and save a SHED load of interest in the process. It'll also protect me a lot more from market movements...

Common sense and a sense of reality always helps. I just can't believe how many people have absolutely no room to move. I'd never dream for a second of getting 100% finance on low income (or reall any income) and I think it's wrong that banks are even allowed to do it. A concrete 20% deposit requirement would make life harder to get into the market, but would protect a HELL of a lot more people once they commit to buying and financing. It'd force those who buy to be ready and have room to breathe even with rising rates and weak markets.
Old 30-10-2007, 02:46 AM   #5
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
It's certainly a very tough market and a big political issue. I'm one of the children of the Baby Boomer generation holding off not sure what to do. Do I commit to an uncertain market and do my best, or sit on it, save my cash earning 6.4% interest and try some short/mid term investing while I rent to give me some breathing space?!! I refuse to blame John Howard or any political party for it, we can't blame any government for our own search for success and prosperity!! Liberal, Labour, I refuse to accept anyone blaming a government for house prices. Sure some policies have an affect such as stamp duty relief from grants, but in the end, I blame my parents and their generation more than I blame John Howard. But then I don't blame my parents generation with any sour feelings since they had no choice with limited superannuation, as it only really came online inthe last 15-20 years anyway! In their position, I'd have done exactly the same - invest in real estate.

Either way, each person has to decide for themsevles, there's no uniform answer. The only thing I know for sure is my generation is reportedly now forking out half as much per week (compared with getting a mortgage) to rent within 15-20km of the city than to buy 40km away - a "lifestyle choice". I'm part of that trend and it's just how it is. I'll just put up, work hard and do my best to make sure I'm not completely wasting my money. Hopefully that measn that I won't be one of those so desperate to get 100% finance tomorrow and work for a few more years to front up with 20% cash ready to go and save a SHED load of interest in the process. It'll also protect me a lot more from market movements...

Common sense and a sense of reality always helps. I just can't believe how many people have absolutely no room to move. I'd never dream for a second of getting 100% finance on low income (or reall any income) and I think it's wrong that banks are even allowed to do it. A concrete 20% deposit requirement would make life harder to get into the market, but would protect a HELL of a lot more people once they commit to buying and financing. It'd force those who buy to be ready and have room to breathe even with rising rates and weak markets.
it's a buyers market . . have you considered buying where you can afford . renting it out , and then renting where you want to live . or visa versa.
or investing in commercial property.
commercial property is say six shops . you lease them all out . it reduces the risk of losing all your rent on say a house . with 6 businesses involved it minimises a complete loss of income .

in this day and age if you do any of the above . then where you are living/renting , becomes tax deductable i think.
worth a thought.
Old 30-10-2007, 09:33 PM   #6
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
it's a buyers market . . have you considered buying where you can afford . renting it out , and then renting where you want to live . or visa versa.
or investing in commercial property.
commercial property is say six shops . you lease them all out . it reduces the risk of losing all your rent on say a house . with 6 businesses involved it minimises a complete loss of income .

in this day and age if you do any of the above . then where you are living/renting , becomes tax deductable i think.
worth a thought.
I have - where I can afford means a city other than the one in which I live... unfortunately. Unless I takle up dealing crack, the best I can do in Sydney is some one bed dodgy studio for under $350,000 on a single income to be even remotely safe. I can forget anything with 2 bedrooms. In Melbourne I can get a 2 bed apartment within 10km of the city, less than 3 years old for $280,000. There I could most definitely buy two, live in one and have room to still maintain the second. Most probably what I'll do when my deposit is hefty enough.
Old 30-10-2007, 10:07 PM   #7
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by davocol
They show all episodes on their website, however it does not appear to have been updated yet http://abc.net.au/lateline/
theres a wealth of information here on this forum .
thanks for the link mate.