Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 25-09-2007, 08:56 PM   #1
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Default AFL Grand final ticket Ballot

Well all I can say as a life long Geelong supporter I'm disappointed in my result in the ticket ballot yesterday.

Yes I missed out !!

I guess the system is fairer for everyone, however in the past if you knew the places to go to get tickets on the day they went on sale (ie: way out of town to a ticket master outlet "up woopwoop") you had a great chance of picking them up by being one only a few in the queue.

Anyone here have any stories or thoughts on the ballot ?

Anyway I've been to 4 losing GF's and I have a feeling that this may be the one they win. It looks like I / we may miss out :

If anyone here has 1 of 2 tickets for Saturday's game they are willing to sell : , send me pm please !

Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2007, 09:28 PM   #2
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Mate I just think it's ridiculous the AFL don't let every member get a ticket. It's all about the coin and they don't give a rats about the people that go week in week out to support their club during the year and who've made the AFL what it is today.

I've been a life long Geelong supporter also having watched all their finals since 89 (albeit only on the Telly) and I was hoping to go and see them at the G. I havn't had a membership since 04 (left Geelong to SA March 05) but my mum is a silver member of the Cats. She tried to get a ticket for me (she wasn't going herself) and I got put in the same ballot. Missed out too :(

I'm still heading down to Geelong for the weekend as I think the atmosphere at every pub, club or other entertainment Venue will be packed out and pumping. I also don't want to miss the big party and atmosphere the of the going off if they win either.
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2007, 09:39 PM   #3
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Yeah agree it's a shame for the true blue club supporter.

I guess once you factor int he AFL members, MCC Members, Corporates & "hanger on's", there aren't many tickets left for those (members) that go and see their team week-in, week-out, rain, hail or shine.

I'd like to know how many of those 'hanger-ons' have been to more than a handful of games this year.

Ce la Vie !
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2007, 09:49 PM   #4
5speedeb
now with 3.73 lsd

"Just 26,000 tickets at the near 100,000-capacity MCG, were available to the two clubs taking part in the grand final".

from heraldsun website
not much of a chance of getting a ticket
Old 25-09-2007, 09:56 PM   #5
Nostalgia
LOW AND SLOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5speedeb
"Just 26,000 tickets at the near 100,000-capacity MCG, were available to the two clubs taking part in the grand final".

from heraldsun website
not much of a chance of getting a ticket
I agree. Its all about the coin. A member who goes to every match for the season misses out on Grand Final tickets. AFL needs a major overhaul. Yes, corporate sponsors pour big bucks into the clubs but if the fan-base wasnt there the club wouldnt exist.
Nostalgia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2007, 10:04 PM   #6
Mihocek
Starter Motor

Unfortunately, the best week to watch footy and for the atmosphere is Prelim weekend when all real fans of both sides get in. The GF is for the theatre goers who also come out of the woodwork for the GP, cup carnival, aussie open tennis and anywhere else where they can be seen. Would be at the opening of an envelope if it gave them exposure
I was there last Friday night for the cats pies game and it was just a magic atmosphere. I find GF's a let down in comparison.
Mihocek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2007, 11:23 AM   #7
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Geelong-Collingwood preliminary final was THE match of the year. The biggest FOOTBALL crowd and most electrifying atmosphere.

The Grand Final is now (and has been for years) a disgrace in that only a minute proportion are actually supporters of the team being followed.

Jim Main in Inside Football once wrote how he knew of a lady who every year got a corporate box for her clientele at the AFL Grand Final. During the entire match, her back is turned to the football as she mingles with her associates.

IMO, they should bulldoze the corporate boxes and put seats in for the heart and soul of the AFL and its clubs --> The Members!

I am a Geelong supporter and I did not get a ticket, but I don't deserve one since I am not a member. Of the ~26,000 members, about 17k went for tickets, with only 7-9k getting any. It's crap.

If the AFL want their money so bad, give Port the cup now and let them get a 5 cent refund for it.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2007, 11:47 AM   #8
JTFG
In a Ford..at last!

The best chance of getting a ticket I reakon is to be in the cheersquad. Well assuming that Freo made the grandfinal last year cos I had my ticket all prebooked in advance for if they got in.
JTFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2007, 09:06 PM   #9
XRchic
Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
The Geelong-Collingwood preliminary final was THE match of the year. The biggest FOOTBALL crowd and most electrifying atmosphere.

The Grand Final is now (and has been for years) a disgrace in that only a minute proportion are actually supporters of the team being followed.

Jim Main in Inside Football once wrote how he knew of a lady who every year got a corporate box for her clientele at the AFL Grand Final. During the entire match, her back is turned to the football as she mingles with her associates.

IMO, they should bulldoze the corporate boxes and put seats in for the heart and soul of the AFL and its clubs --> The Members!

I am a Geelong supporter and I did not get a ticket, but I don't deserve one since I am not a member. Of the ~26,000 members, about 17k went for tickets, with only 7-9k getting any. It's crap.

If the AFL want their money so bad, give Port the cup now and let them get a 5 cent refund for it.
100% agree with that!!!

Eamon's Mum is a silver member of Geelong and still couldnt get a ticket!

: Cobra :
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2007, 09:22 PM   #10
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tickets shoud not go on sale to the general public or too other clubs. Tickets should be reserved and a % applied depending on financial members to the 2 clubs who are in the GF. If one club has 10% more members than the other, then they should get 10% more tickets. Grandfinals are about seeing your club perform where it counts. Only the true supporters of the club should get more opportunity to see their club compete.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2007, 09:44 PM   #11
XRchic
Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
Tickets shoud not go on sale to the general public or too other clubs. Tickets should be reserved and a % applied depending on financial members to the 2 clubs who are in the GF. If one club has 10% more members than the other, then they should get 10% more tickets. Grandfinals are about seeing your club perform where it counts. Only the true supporters of the club should get more opportunity to see their club compete.
I dont reckon Dimitriou (apologies if spelt incorrectly) would have a bar of that.

Old 26-09-2007, 09:49 PM   #12
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
That will prolly work for victorian teams, you get a team like west coast in the grandfinal with preference to members you'd almost fill up the ground with JUST their members.. The Eagles have more members than seats at Subiaco oval!

Take my word for it, getting a couple of seats at a regular home and away game is hard enough.
DoreSlamR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2007, 09:49 PM   #13
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRchic
I dont reckon Dimitriou (apologies if spelt incorrectly) would have a bar of that.
Probabbly not. I think I would sooner have 50% Cats supporters and 50% supporters at the game. Imagine the atmosphere.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2007, 11:54 PM   #14
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

I think all club members should get tickets offered, and whatever is left to be sold to the public, It would be good way for the clubs/AFL to say "thanks for the support this year".....///keeps dreaming///

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2007, 12:08 AM   #15
GRNKPR
DPC PERFORMANCE Race prep

here ya go champ try this for size
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11192150

FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria

Ford Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car Club
GRNKPR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2007, 12:09 AM   #16
GRNKPR
DPC PERFORMANCE Race prep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRNKPR
and ya seating arrangments for the day
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/...R6/image001.jpg

FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria

Ford Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car Club
GRNKPR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2007, 01:13 AM   #17
XRchic
Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoreSlamR
That will prolly work for victorian teams, you get a team like west coast in the grandfinal with preference to members you'd almost fill up the ground with JUST their members.. The Eagles have more members than seats at Subiaco oval!

Take my word for it, getting a couple of seats at a regular home and away game is hard enough.
Exactly the same for the Crows. Its been hard to get seats to any home games and I had resorted to travelling interstate to see them play! However, attendances were down at Footy Park this year, for both Crows and Port.

Any of the clubs with big memberships numbers could struggle... Eagles, Crows, Collingwood, Geelong, Essendon, etc... However, you could have a Kangaroos v Western Bulldogs Grand Final, give every member a ticket and still have enough room for half the country in the MCG!

My aunt got tickets to the GF though, for Port Power. So they are off Friday night on the bus. They had to wait for 3 hours to get them or something, and they were lucky.