Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 14-07-2007, 02:56 PM   #1
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Default Broken transmission mount

Anyone ever had a broken transmission mount in a manual LR Focus? (Zetec)

Mine broke this morning and is now at the Ford Dealer. Given the clutch was replaced only 3 weeks ago, I am suspicious.

The reception girl asked the mechanic whether it could be wear and tear (after 48,00 km? I don't think so), but he said they'd need to investigate. My concern is if there is any damage to the gearbox. If there is, then it will be on for young and old.

I don't recall anyone having this problem before

Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2007, 03:03 PM   #2
FOCUSonTHIS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Haven't had that problem and my car has done 111,000km.....I'm guessing you will be the old Steve? Also only 10 more posts till you reach your 1,000 post mark...Congrats on another milestone old man!

2002 AUIII XR6
1995 EF Falcon XR6
2003 LR Focus Zetec
1989 KE Laser TX3
FOCUSonTHIS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2007, 09:10 AM   #3
scooby

I am curious,... what are the symptoms of a broken transmission mount? Can the car still be driven?
scooby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2007, 09:34 AM   #4
melbzetec

Basically no. A big metallic clunking sound as you change gear. The only way I can describe it is, if it were rear whel drive, as though a universal joint was gone, and the tailshaft was banging against the underbody of the car when you changed gear
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.

Old 15-07-2007, 10:27 AM   #5
scooby

sheesh...hope nothing got damaged. So you think they may have stuffed up when your clutch was replaced ( forgot to tighten a bolt, etc.). You would think they would have noticed if a mount was about to break.
scooby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2007, 04:23 PM   #6
melbzetec

That's what I reckon. Either they've done something wrong, OR should have noticed something was amiss.

Old 18-07-2007, 06:02 PM   #7
whippet_zetec
Supes

Hey Steve,

Matt broke his engine mounts on his LR Zetec ages back and had some new bright orange neoprene things installed. PM him and am sure he can fill in the gaps.

I blew a clutch plate at 4,000km on my LR Zetec, new clutch installed, havent had any issues since (fingers crossed).

Todd
Old 18-07-2007, 07:35 PM   #8
melbzetec

Well, fixed now, and thankfully there doesn't appear to be any damage to the gearbox.

I wasn't so much worried about the mount, but the noise that came from the gearbox at the time wasn't pleasant. But it is feeling ok at this point. Obviouslt the noise was just the mount banging around

Cross fingers all is OK, but I have asked DP to call me when he is back from leave, just in case something goes wrong down the track

Old 01-08-2007, 07:06 PM   #9
focus in black
Starter Motor

A broken gearbox mount isnt such a serious thing if its under warranty. It is quite common for them to break, as they usually only snap the rubber in them. It isnt nice to change gears with that clunk though.
focus in black is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2007, 07:43 PM   #10
melbzetec

Thanks for that, and welcome to the Forums.

In my case it wasn't under warranty, and the mount actually snapped through the middle!!!! But so far it appears no damage to the gearbox