Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 29-06-2007, 03:56 AM   #1
tough_ea88
WTB cheap manual e-series

Default anybody else work night shift??

gday guys, iv just started doing night shifts again, found it farks up my sleeping pattern, ie; work from 4 till 11 then go to sleep around 4am, wake up at 12 pm or so..

not a big fan of it, does anyone have any ideas how to have a normal sleep pattern and also work nightshift, i would really like to work on my car durng the day but find it to hard 2 wake up any earlier then 10-11 am

tough_ea88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2007, 04:05 AM   #2
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Go to sleep when you get back from work? =P

Just get up nice and early. Do it a couple times and you'll be wrecked, then you'll knock ya self out as soon as you get home from work.
Van D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2007, 07:07 AM   #3
Kommandant
ED4LYFE

Luckily mine is constant, so like leave at 6pm and get home at 6am, sleep till 2ish, wake up rinse and repeat.

Can't imagine a shift worker who has the occasional nightshift, that'd suck.
Old 29-06-2007, 07:12 AM   #4
Tles
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Work from 11 till 7.30am Sunday night thru Fri morn home @ 8 sleep school hours mon-thur then a few hours Fri morn, sleep Fri night and Sat night till 8am then go work Sun 10.30pm for 11 again.
Tles is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2007, 07:38 AM   #5
Zed7fiddy
Temporary Australian

Quote:
Originally Posted by popinfresh
Go to sleep when you get back from work? =P

Just get up nice and early. Do it a couple times and you'll be wrecked, then you'll knock ya self out as soon as you get home from work.
The problem with this theory is that sooner or later it catches up, then your driving home tired, which can never turn out pretty

Long time night shifter here, so over it, i want my life back, changin Jobs ASAP!

Constant 5 am finishes :(
Zed7fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2007, 07:39 AM   #6
Jeeepers
Merry Xmas To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommandant
Luckily mine is constant, so like leave at 6pm and get home at 6am, sleep till 2ish, wake up rinse and repeat.

Can't imagine a shift worker who has the occasional nightshift, that'd suck.
Same hours here and permanent. Rotating shifts suck, I did that some years ago. I find that hitting the hay as soon as I get home (between 5 and 6am) and sleeping until 1 or 2pm gets me through nicely. And I still have a few hours in the arvy to do stuff.
Jeeepers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2007, 08:11 AM   #7
devilracer_01
Sleeping Beast

I work three early's (around 5am start) and then three lates (around 4pm start) then three days off.
devilracer_01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2007, 08:19 AM   #8
Falcon Freak
Banned

I used to work night shift many years ago. The trick is to go to sleep as soon as you get home otherwise the need for sleep passes and you stuffed for the remainder of the day.

FF
Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2007, 08:54 AM   #9
prydey
Rob

rotating shiftworker here. days - 6am - 2pm, arvo's 2pm - 10pm, nights 10pm - 6am.

currently on nights. we do nights for 2 weeks then rotate weekly on days/arvos for 4 weeks and so the cycle goes.

i stay up and help get my little one off to school, then sleep during school hours and up in the arvo. i quite like the hours as i see much more of my family compared to the other shifts.

been doing shift for 13years but only started the 3rd shift a couple of months ago.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2007, 10:09 AM   #10
dallasv8
5.8 litres of fun

i do a 4 on 4 off roster.2 dayshifts,then 2 night shifts then 4 days off.

we work from 6 to 6.on the cross over night i just stay up really late so i sleep all day the next day.too easy
Old 29-06-2007, 10:37 AM   #11
paul351xb

Been doing shift work for pretty much most of my working life. So about 23 years.
Always work weekends and public holidays as a rule. When doing a night shift I always found that it takes a couple of hours to wind down once you get home. You don't knock off from work at 5 pm and go straight home to bed. It's the same deal doing any shift. Get home from work, have a shower and a feed, do something that relaxes you be it reading, jumping on the net, watching telly etc then toddle off to bed at the first sign of wearyness. The rotating shifts are the hardest to get used to. And graveyard shifts really stuff you health wise. Read somewhere that the human being only goes into a deep rem sleep around midnightish to 3 am or thereabouts. Ask any graveyarder and they will usually tell you it doesnt matter how many hours sleep they get they usually feel tired and irritable. Can lead to health issues down the track, physical and mental and is reported to shorten the old life expenctancy from what I saw on some TV show once.
paul351xb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2007, 11:04 AM   #12
Matty4
Banana

I've basically been doing shift work of varying lengths and time for 17 years now. Currently I work a 5 on / 4 off roster with one 5 off every 3 weeks. I start at 0630 - 1658 then do a 1630 - 0248.
On the arvo shift it's straight to bed when I get home and if I'm allowed to sleep in I'm usually up by 10, otherwise I'm up at 8 to help with the kids. It can screw you around, but you get used to it (eventually!!)

When I used to do full nights I would always go straight to bed when I got home around 7am, up around 2, then back to work by 9.00pm.

Everybody's different, you'll find a pattern that suits you.
Old 29-06-2007, 11:24 AM   #13
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasv8
i do a 4 on 4 off roster.2 dayshifts,then 2 night shifts then 4 days off.

we work from 6 to 6.on the cross over night i just stay up really late so i sleep all day the next day.too easy
AWESOME AWESOME avatar!!!!!! Megadeth are bloody awesome. but i like Peace Sells over Rust in Peace hahahah

i do overnights at maccas sometimes. it ****s me up royally. one overnight shift in a week.

some weeks, i do 10:30am-5pm on sunday at one job, then to maccas for 10pm-5am, then off to my 3rd job on mondays at 11am-3pm, then to uni for a 4pm-6pm class.

i am screwed by the end of it.
Old 29-06-2007, 12:37 PM   #14
WOLF
Track Red XY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfin
Same hours here and permanent. Rotating shifts suck, I did that some years ago. I find that hitting the hay as soon as I get home (between 5 and 6am) and sleeping until 1 or 2pm gets me through nicely. And I still have a few hours in the arvy to do stuff.
redfin back from the dead? I always knew the zombie apocalypse would come sooner rather than later...
WOLF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post