Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 25-06-2007, 01:03 AM   #1
AEF_Silver94
Falcon obsessed

Default Advice needed on Moving Out

hey all,just something im thinking about, A Mate of mine is living in a flat,hes Friend is moving out now and he needs someone to rent out the spare room,I offered but I have not gave a definate answer yet,heres some info.

im 19
rent is around $360 a F.Night
Going Halfs on the rent
im doing full time study at Tafe, HSC
i seen on centerlink site ill get around $350 a fortnight living independant

Im just wondering if ill have money on the side for food etc, what my parents want to know,if I can be organised its all good.

I Really want to move out to so i see this as my chance,theres to many people living here and I have NO privacy,but I dont want to do something stupid.

AEF_Silver94 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2007, 01:15 AM   #2
gtfpv
GT

well mate consider it a short term thing . you may fall out with your mate and lose a friend forever . i moved pout with a nieghbour when i was 18 . he was a ***** and we lived together for 6 weeks then i split . 20 years later we never resolved the friendship . my advice is not to move out with a friend because you wont be standing on your own 2 feet . find a young couple your age . that way you wont be involved with them but will meet thier friends and you will have your complete own life .

saying that i had a great 6 weeks out of home . and before anyone says i may have been the ***** , not him .
he started rooting a taken woman 32 years old , her boyfriend didnt know . i had a problem with this because if her 35 year old biker bioyfriend found out and decided to pay us a visit , he might of thought i was my mate . after i told him this he told her and she didnot like me . hence women got in the middle of a friendship. he locked the phone in his bedroom etc etc etc .
later on i took the advice of a female friend and moved oin with a young couple . and lived there for 18 months trouble free ( food for thought ) .

why is your friends flatmate moving out ??? another point is if you move in with him he will regard the place as his , as he was there 1st . and when you have a fight ( you will) what then ????
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2007, 01:20 AM   #3
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Well I moved out at 18 to go to uni. Nothing wrong with home, but I look back now ands it was the best thing for me.

New surroundings, new people, and FREEDOM! Yes you end up spending a bit of cash, but its all in good fun. Its hard at the start, but once you are settled its great. To celebrate, I dont think Ill do the dishes tomorrow, but thats the catch, ill have to do them eventually...LOL

Think of it this way, move out, sign something SHORT term, if it doesn't work out then move back with your 'rents, if you are happy then extend. Just dont sign anything longer than 12 months, Ive moved house about 4 times in 5 years; things change.

It is depressing paying rent sometimes, I mean all that money could have been spent on my car; but ah well, good times to be had with your mates.

Oh and it wasn't until the last two years or so that I have ****ed off centerlink, most frustrating corporation to deal with EVER!...but it is free money so its hard to complain. Im working two casual jobs now instead of getting payments, life has been alot less stressful (but im working more which isn't so great I guess). Life so far is just a bunch of crappy catch 22's...LOL

Pity you are not in VIC, ive got heaps of stuff that I could sell you as Im moving to Tassie. So if I dont sell it then looks like im buying a trailer :(

And thats another thing, when you move you realise how much CRAP you can horde. A change is as good as a holiday!
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane

Last edited by Polyal; 25-06-2007 at 01:28 AM.
Polyal is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2007, 09:36 AM   #4
Hunter
Ex EL Falcon

I finally moved out when I was 23 (I'm nearly 25 now). Initially I moved in with my GF's brother's house (she was living with him at the time) and it was fairly sweet - was cheap and my GF paid the board while I cleaned the joint. Then we moved out to a sharehouse with a friend of my GF who happened to be a mate's GF. Anyway, after a while things didn't work so well and my GF had been financially covering for her and it eventually came to a gigantic head. GF asks her friend for all the money she is owed, etc etc then they have a bit of a falling out (not a big fight or anything). Eventually we all part ways and my now fiance and I live in an apartment together and her friend lives with my mate down south.

Anyway, moral of my story:

1. Ensure nobody is kept on credit - never pay for someone else unless you can either afford to lose the money or KNOW beyond doubt that they can pay you back. In our case we were owed over almost $1000 and eventually got pretty much all of it back (but due to me losing a couple of bills we only got about $700 back : ). In our case we thought she knew how much she owed but she didn't so she kept on spending.... and then the poo and the fan met when she found out what she owed.

2. Make sure everyone knows what it is they need to do around the house. We spent most of our time cleaning up after other people and when the agent came to inspect, I spent a lot of time running around making sure the house was tidy. Never let the house get too messy and make sure someone always takes the garbage out! Maggots and smells are NOT cool and don't make it easy to keep a rental.

3. Respect each other's privacy and peace and quiet. If you're up late, use your headphones or whatever.

4. Don't **** on the toilet seat. Ever.

5. If you use all the toilet paper, buy some more. Don't fall into the "Oh someone else will do it" trap. This can only end badly.

6. Don't use all the hot water by yourself. Leave some for someone else.

7. Don't eat other people's food in the fridge unless they told you that you could.

8. Wash up after yourself. My fiance's friend refused to do the dishes (well she did them like twice) so we ended up just not doing hers and doing only our own. This eventually created a huge mess .

9. Don't hog the couch or the TV.

There are other rules which I will post when I get home. I feel like moses right now.
Old 25-06-2007, 10:00 AM   #5
Eb Barbie
Banned

Moving out of home sounds tempting. I know the feeling at the moment. Can't wait to get out of home. Just make sure that money won't be a problem as there are extra costs to consider like food, bills etc. You may want to make sure you can still put money away to put towards other costs like car (eg any problems that arise) and save for your own place one day??
Over the next year Im saving as much as possible to put towards gettin a place with Pete. We will rent out a room to help pay towards the bills, loan etc. I know I will feel better if Im living in my own place.
Eb Barbie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2007, 10:15 AM   #6
MotherNatureVer2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Moving out of home is a great idea ...... but & yes there is a but ..... have you actually worked out how much money you will have to survive on ????

Lets break it down a bit as I did for my kids ......

Your hoping to get $350/fn from centrelink (sounds a lot) ...... so thats $175/week. Of that $175 you will be paying $90/week for rent. So that leaves you $85/week for the rest. Then you have your slice of the power bill... I will be kind here ... lets say $15/week, leaving $70.

Now we have your food and other things like petrol, bus fares etc ...... we havent even worried about a phone bill as yet ............

Matey ..... my advise is to actually save up before you move out ..... I know its a pain in the bum to be living at home still .... but I would much rather eat and have a roof over my head than move out & be absolutly miserable because all the mates are 'doing stuff' and your starving ...........
MotherNatureVer2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2007, 10:18 AM   #7
Dezza
Parts bin special

I moved out of home early in 2004 to move up here for uni. I spent the first couple of years in the halls of residence, but at the end of 2005 (28th of December to be precise), I moved out of halls with a few people from there. I've never looked back. It's definately more expensive than living at home (but still cheaper than residence), but the freedom is great. I get on quite well with my housemates although I have to get on the back of one of my housemates a bit to do his dishes. We have a rule here. Whoever makes a mess, clean it up. If you use dishes, don't expect others to clean them for you. We also cook for ourselves. At a lot of places, people take it in turns to cook meals for everyone, but it's just too awkward here. I'm really fussy, one housemate is a vegetarian, one usually lives on noodles, and the other one usually gets back quite late. I usually mow the lawns (I own the lawnmower) while the other housemates clean inside the house. Just be carefully with electricity usage and the phone, because I've found them to be the highest bills.

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2007, 10:25 AM   #8
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

I dont think saving up before you move out helps much to be honest. Maybe for a couple of months but thats it. If you cannot make it work on what you are making then obviously you will struggle. I lived just on centerlink payments for about 2 months tops until I realised that you just cant live like that. Depends on what your used to having I guess.

Eating well is important. While your priorities will change (say from beer to food...LOL) so will your spending habits.

If you save up it will help for all your one off things (like fridge, washing machine etc).

Hunter is pretty much spot on, although some of those things sound like you dont have great house-mates.

Oh if you are on centerlink, then get a job Mr. Howard doesn't know about.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 25-06-2007, 03:29 PM   #9
AEF_Silver94
Falcon obsessed

thanks for the responses and advice everyone,ill be reading everything right now again after i post this,sick with the flu so I got time Lol. Cheers

Oh if you are on centerlink, then get a job Mr. Howard doesn't know about.

^ interesting :P
AEF_Silver94 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2007, 10:50 PM   #10
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter
Anyway, moral of my story:

1. Ensure nobody is kept on credit -
2. Make sure everyone knows what it is they need to do around the house.
3. Respect each other's privacy and peace and quiet.
4. Don't **** on the toilet seat. Ever.
5. If you use all the toilet paper, buy some more.
6. Don't use all the hot water by yourself.
7. Don't eat other people's food in the fridge unless they told you that you could.
8. Wash up after yourself.
9. Don't hog the couch or the TV.
There are other rules which I will post when I get home. I feel like moses right now.
You forgot...
10. The nudie run. (to/from shower, ) unacceptable unless you are living with the other half, and they are cool with it. *being insanely drunk may get you out of this situation...

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2007, 10:55 PM   #11
gtfpv
GT

lots of scenarios to think about .the couple i was living with , the bloke was a black belt with 8 years of karate behind him , so it was easy to stay away from his woman . but one day i came home and she was lyeing stomach down on the bed with 2 cheeks in the air , really really really had to go outside . then after i got engaged myself, they had a fall out , and i kept seeing my room mates map of tassie . this is the hard thing about sharing with people .

oh and these days i'm not as wise as i once was , so i'd probably end up with a broken neck . why i'm posting this is because if you are as wise as me now , you really need to consider lots of things about being out of home . cheers

Last edited by gtfpv; 26-06-2007 at 11:00 PM.
Old 26-06-2007, 11:22 PM   #12
stiddy
Banned

I moved out, and then moved back home.
It will be a struggle.. Im not a bugdet type of person, I live to what I earn pretty much..
If I earn $300 a week thats what I spend, If I earn $1000 a week thats what I spend.

On centerlink, its going to be a struggle, food, bills, petrol and rent, will see your payment gone and then some, you will be working this week, to pay last weeks bills.

But good luck with it.
stiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2007, 11:31 PM   #13
Dark Horse
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU_Carlos88
i seen on centerlink site ill get around $350 a fortnight living independant
So you're asking what our thoughts are and then depending on those of us working and paying taxes to support your proposed lifestyle???
Old 26-06-2007, 11:36 PM   #14
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Horse
So you're asking what our thoughts are and then depending on those of us working and paying taxes to support your proposed lifestyle???
Yeah and? Centerlink helps THOUSANDS of students get through uni. Without it I wouldn't have nearly finished.

Problem is I got used to having money, and if you work and get an allowance then you get money taken off you. Money wise I am better off without it, but not study wise thats for sure. But then you have bills etc, nasty cycle.

Once he, and thousands of others finish their degree/tafe, then they work and pay taxes and it all goes around again, whats the issue?
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 26-06-2007, 11:39 PM   #15
Dark Horse
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Yeah and? Centerlink helps THOUSANDS of students get through uni. Without it I wouldn't have nearly finished.

Problem is I got used to having money, and if you work and get an allowance then you get money taken off you. Money wise I am better off without it, but not study wise thats for sure. But then you have bills etc, nasty cycle.

Once he, and thousands of others finish their degree/tafe, then they work and pay taxes and it all goes around again, whats the issue?
Yeah, that's fine I don't have an issue with that. What I am getting to (based on my interpretation of his post) is that his study location doesn't warrant him relying on that as he can still stay with his folks to complete his studies.
Old 26-06-2007, 11:44 PM   #16
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Horse
Yeah, that's fine I don't have an issue with that. What I am getting to (based on my interpretation of his post) is that his study location doesn't warrant him relying on that as he can still stay with his folks to complete his studies.
perhaps but he has a right to move out , and claim centrelink payments, just as much as he has a right to pay his hecs fees . i dont have any issue with the system in this case. how else is he supposed to do it . he has a right to liuve where he wants to .
Old 27-06-2007, 12:19 AM   #17
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

TO move out, you need money tucked away because although the benefits from Centrelink may seem adequate, there are costs that come into the fray in the future (as mentioned before) such as the bills which include utilities and food. You also have to look after your motor vehicle as well as paying for registration and insurance. If you are living borderline on the figures you posted, you'll be living extremely tight for a long time so as a result, that may require you to assess exactly how you want to live.

I want to move out, but the fact is that I get a good deal at home where I pay nothing but provide something that money doesn't buy...ME! If you met my brothers, you'd understand what I mean to my parents...I at least talk to them because I want to, not because I want something.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2007, 12:32 AM   #18
Falcon Freak
Banned

Stay at home as long as you can so you can save money. It makes life much easier when you do eventually move out of home to have some funds to assist the start of your independant life.

FF
Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2007, 09:31 PM   #19
Action Cheese
Standby for Action!

i live with my mrs, and our food bill comes to about $100 - $130 a week, depending if the more expensive but buying less often items like washing powder and toilet paper run low at the same time. if you are just starting out flatting, food bills will always be higher untill you learn to shop smart. when we first moved into our own flat, it was more like $180ish a week. also, if you dont live with any women (dont EVER live with your GF!!), it will be a bit cheaper too.

the most important thing to remember when living with mates is be super considerate. i cant stress that enough! especially if they already own everything in the house.

moving out is great fun, but with freedom comes responsibility..
Action Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post