Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Laser and Telstar

Old 29-03-2007, 07:24 PM   #1
jimothyg
Starter Motor

Default Looking to mod..?

Hello fellow ford drivers,

First of all i thought i should introduce myself, im James, i live in Townsville. Recently got a 1997 Ford Laser Liata GLXI from my mother and i thought i would jump on this forum, which seems pretty decent.

Okay well this is my question/scenario, i have over a grand to spend on this beast and I wanted to get some different opinions of what i should get done. I already have a 12 inch sony xplod sub passed down from my brother (who now has a 20 inch) so i thought i should get a decent sound system. He suggested i get a front body kit, mags, wings and i wanted to get a spoiler but it might look ***? What do you recommend?

Cheers
James

(i will put some pictures up soon)

jimothyg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2007, 09:00 PM   #2
Ridin-High

Hi james, welcome to the forums champion. :disco:

Diffently in the right section of the site and im sure the guys here will be able to assist you.

I don't have an idea about these type of cars, i did a quick google search to see the spec of the car. Is it the 1.8L 4cylinder version with 5spd manual?
I'm just taking a punch in the dark that this is your first car?

If i was in your situation, personally, i would save my money and look at upgrading to something with abit more street cred. Personally i don't like the bodykits/mags on such a car, but then again everyone has an opinion.

but if you are wanting to spice it up abit, i would set aside $500 for audio requirements, already have the 12" sub which you could team-up with other sony gear which is listed online @ www.sony.com.au then copy the part numbers and search on-line for the best pricing, order the gear then get someone to install for you. Our family car has a very basic set-up running 6x9 Kenwood speakers in the back and 5" Clarions in the front with a pinoneer headdeck that cost around $550 3yrs ago installed. With the spare money you could Tint the windows and lower the car

Ps. Yes i have used the search button mum....
Ridin-High is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2007, 09:30 PM   #3
jimothyg
Starter Motor

Hey,

Thanks for the reply,

Yeah I would get a better car after some time, but i got alot of insurance money to spend on it and im sick of looking for cars. Yeah this is my first car, apart from the toyota corolla used for bush bashing.

My bro is a bit of a champ with the whole sound system, so he has a few head decks hanging around, so i might use one of those...but it already has one lol. Nah i dont think the laser is running a 6/9 speakers, but who knows.

Great idea about lowering it...might chuck on some mags.

Catcha
Old 30-03-2007, 02:03 PM   #4
bjr22n_
XR5TBO

hey mate, is it a sedan or a hatch?

my Laser is a hatch, I have 7/10 in the back, which i brought along with my 12" JBL sub and amp. the laser doesn't have standard 6/9.

the avaliable bodykits, in my view looks crap. so first things first... get your brother to do your sound system. then some dark window tint, Mag wheels and lowering. some clear side indicators from www.lasermods.com.au and if you have some spare change, you may look at upgrading your Exhaust and other little engine performace mods.

if you have any queries feel free to ask
here is my 1997 KJ2 Laser GXLi Liata

DJR Team mate #14
bjr22n_ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2007, 02:04 PM   #5
Conquest_Tsi

nice example!
Conquest_Tsi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2007, 03:39 PM   #6
bjr22n_
XR5TBO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conquest_Tsi
nice example!
thanks mate.
it's nice and clean. No fake spoilers or skirts, and i'll admit that I have looked for a kits about 2 years ago, but I prefer the way it looks now. Glad I didn't waste my money on a Kit. I have had blokes rough as guts driving VL to VX Commodores tell me thats is nice, clean and very well presented. nothing to over the top. easy on the eye ;)

DJR Team mate #14
Old 30-03-2007, 05:31 PM   #7
jimothyg
Starter Motor

Nice laser, yeah i forgot to mention it was a hatch. Here are some pics:

isometric view:

the back...i want to change it...i think its ugly:

and the sweet-as rimms *cough*:
Old 30-03-2007, 10:34 PM   #8
VippiN
What a performer!

I reckon you could do two things to spice up the cosmetics of your Laser.

$1k can get you some 17s from Tempe Tyres with rubber. If you look around, ebay etc, you can pick up some cheaper than that.

$50 could get you a decent looking exhaust tip and installed, just promise everyone you won't get a canon.

Probably what i'd do in your situation if you only had 1k to spend and wanted to spend it straight away.
1991 Ford Laser KF TX3 :: BP-T :: 2011-2015 109fwkW
2007 Ford Falcon BF XR6 Turbo Ute :: Barra 245T :: 2014-2019 324rwkW
1998 Ford Falcon AU XR8 Ute :: Windsor V8 :: 2019-2020
2008 Ford Fiesta XR4 :: Duratec 150 :: 2021-*
1998 Ford Falcon AU XR6 :: HP Intech :: 2021-*
VippiN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2007, 04:02 AM   #9
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Get a decent flowing exhaust I would say. I had a catback cannon on my TX5 and it ******* flew for what it was (certainly had it all over the VT series Commies ;) very easily and I have one in my family to test against), but was way pass legal (104db from recollection from the dude who bought it from me)

As much as many banish the cannon to hell there is no way in this realm to get a deep sound unless you get one. Mine was a 2.25" in and 3" out.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2007, 06:50 PM   #10
jimothyg
Starter Motor

Thanks for the replies guys, great ideas.

Im not a big fan of cannon's...so consequently im not going to get one hahaha. I am going to put in the sound system first, with amps and that. On the inside i was thinking of getting black and white sporty seat covers and some of the panels on the inside i will paint white...so it looks heaps awesome with the whole black and white thing. The speed dial im going to get white and put in a blue neon somewhere so it lights up at night. Going to make a heaps awesome setup in the back as my construction teacher used to do this kinda thing so it should be sweet. I am going to get mags in about 6 months... thinking probably Chopper 17" with rubbers...check em out there spokes with half black and half silver so it should fit in well.

Thanks for the tips guys...keep them comming

cheers
James
Old 12-04-2007, 03:59 PM   #11
bjr22n_
XR5TBO

don;t forget to lower it abit... but not to much. ;)

DJR Team mate #14