Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 25-02-2007, 01:39 PM   #1
kenz
BOSS Pilot

Default Choosing a guitar

Heya
I want to get an acoustic guitar. What I want to know is what I need to look for, can anyone recommend anything. I am new to it so I dont want to go all out in the price department but want good value for money at the same time. Looking at around the $200 mark + - a bit.
Heres one I found but like I said I really dont have much of an idea http://www.mooloolabamusic.com/index...per&Itemid=138

Thanks for any help
Luke

Blue SY Territory Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600
No matter how good the F6 is (and it is damn good), its missing two cylinders.
kenz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2007, 01:59 PM   #2
congo3sr

Looks like a good start up pack Luke
You can always build on it the way you want ,overtime.
Best of luck.
George
congo3sr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2007, 02:23 PM   #3
muppet

You have the right idea , dont spend too much money . I have seen too many people go out and spend $1000 + on their first guitar . Only for it to end up sitting in the corner when they realise that it isn't as easy as they thought it would be . You are not really going to get much of a guitar for $200 but at least if you find out it isn't for you then you haven't done too much dough . All the guitars around that price will be similar in build quality so it's allmost a case of just pick one and hope for the best.
Old 25-02-2007, 02:45 PM   #4
brendo83

They are a bit more expensive, but Cort are really good, I think they start at around $400.
The bloke in my local music shop reckons for quality and sound they are fantastic, I was looking at one of the Matons at $1400, he said that the $800 Cort model was every bit as good, it just depended on which sound I liked better. He also said if I really wanted a "better quality" guitar than the cort I would need to start looking at the 3000+ models

Not sure that buying a cheap guitar to start with is a great idea, you're likely to end up with a guitar that doesn't feel nice to play and produces a cheap and nasty sound, so no matter how well you play it, it wont sound good, not great for motivation.
If you buy a $400 guitar and lose interest you should be able to sell it to recoupe at least half your costs, you'd be luck to re-sell a cheapy.

BTW, try some of the smaller instrument shops, The one I went to were really helpful, not just interested in my money, they also offered free labour on servicing for any guitar I bought there for life, which even included restringing.
brendo83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2007, 03:19 PM   #5
muppet

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendo83

Not sure that buying a cheap guitar to start with is a great idea, you're likely to end up with a guitar that doesn't feel nice to play and produces a cheap and nasty sound, so no matter how well you play it, it wont sound good, not great for motivation.
I dont realy agree with this as a biginner would not realy be able to tell if it sounds nasty(to a point anyway) . Most of the cheap guitars these days feel at least half decent to play and dont sound too bad at all . I have an $80 nylon string that plays and sounds quite good for an $80 guitar . I have done recordings with this guitar and have had people comment on how good it sounds then they dont believe me when I tell them what it cost.
You do have a good point though , $400 will get you a far better instrument and he should at least be able to get $200 to $250 back if he sells it.
Old 25-02-2007, 03:43 PM   #6
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

You can get a pretty decent acoustic from places like cash converters etc. for around $200 second hand, and in just as good condition as a new guitar ;) . Gl , happy guitaring , i hope you enjoy it ;) . cheers.

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2007, 03:58 PM   #7
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6-VCT-2000
You can get a pretty decent acoustic from places like cash converters etc. for around $200 second hand, and in just as good condition as a new guitar ;) . Gl , happy guitaring , i hope you enjoy it ;) . cheers.
i would NEVER. NEVER. buy a guitar from cash converters. everything there is SO SO SO overpriced.

anyway, look for an Ibanez acoustic, not the best guitars, but they are very affordable and do the job well.
Old 25-02-2007, 04:26 PM   #8
rodderz

The good thing is if you start with an acoustic, which has a slightly wider neck and higher string action, is that once you learn on them all other guitars are easier

Start off with something reliable low to mid range and save for a better one later
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2007, 05:22 PM   #9
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

I agree with the people who say get a $400 guitar. The difference between 400 and 200 is significant. Acoustic guitars will always have a high action (thats the distance between the string and the fretboard). I would try and get something thats got a low action. It makes it easier to learn.

Look straight down the fretboard and make sure its straight, flat and doesn't bow. Run your fingers up the top and bottom of the fretboard as you play. If you feel any of the fret markings sticking out then the guitar is dry. Thats not good... move along.

Apart from that, guitars come in all shapes and sizes. Get down and play as many as you can in your price range and get the one that feels the most comfortable shape-wise and how it sits when you're playing. At this low level, they pretty much all sound the same so I wouldn't put too much emphasis on sound quality.

Get yourself a tuning fork and learn to tune using the fork and by ear. A chromatic tuner would be easiest to tune with but personally I find it more accurate with a tuning fork and harmonic tuning.

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2007, 05:41 PM   #10
stockNAfairlane

Ibanez accoustic's, very nice sound and affordable. get them to chuck in a good set of strings and a tuner too
stockNAfairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2007, 05:55 PM   #11
b2tf
not here much anymore

Ibanez fan here, I have 2 Ibanez basses which I love.

Personally though, if I was going for an Acoustic, I wouldnt buy an Ibanez, I just dont like their acoustic range at the moment. Id go either a Fender (the lower end Fenders are made by Cort) or a cheaper Maton - there is one Maton model available that goes for around $799, and if you are pretty serious about learning how to play, Id be shelling out a little bit extra for a guitar that will serve you well through your learning years, but not end up being just a cheapy that you learnt on and never play.
Old 25-02-2007, 06:22 PM   #12
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Im a ibanez fan here too , but your gonna be lucky to get 1 for $200 .

And with cash converters , no way do you pay what they are advertising , you offer a maximum of half the price , they usually still accept !

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2007, 06:51 PM   #13
SirHenry
Falcon Unbelievable!

I was in this very dilema last Oct/Nov I originally was going to spend only about $200 but finished up paying around the $500.00 mark for a really nice Fender Acoustic CD140SCE. I'm still completely happy with my purchase and love my guitar as much as the missus and falcon :

Main reason I upgraded my initial purchase was quite simple, it sounded better and was a better quality instrument. The thing I would hate most whilst learning how to play would be a crap guitar, it'll always sound crap regardless of your playing so pick something that sounds good and has the sound your after.

Shop around, if you have someone that does play take them along if not get the staff to demo the guitar for you, most of all pick something YOU like and WANT to play.

Good luck amigo let us know whatca end up getting.

Chris,
SirHenry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2007, 12:44 AM   #14
normxb
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Location: Sitting on the Dunny , Contemplating "What to do Next".

Quote:
Originally Posted by pertuan
I agree with the people who say get a $400 guitar. The difference between 400 and 200 is significant. Acoustic guitars will always have a high action (thats the distance between the string and the fretboard). I would try and get something thats got a low action. It makes it easier to learn.

Look straight down the fretboard and make sure its straight, flat and doesn't bow. Run your fingers up the top and bottom of the fretboard as you play. If you feel any of the fret markings sticking out then the guitar is dry. Thats not good... move along.

Get yourself a tuning fork and learn to tune using the fork and by ear. A chromatic tuner would be easiest to tune with but personally I find it more accurate with a tuning fork and harmonic tuning.
I used to own a Guitar School for 8 years employing 5 part-time teachers & myself full-time & a Music Shop for 13 years and played semi-pro for 30 years so I have a little experience here .

A $200 Acoustic properly set up can be just as easy to play as a $400 job ,but yes the dearer guitar would be better quality but not necessarily easier to play, so depending on finances on what you buy . EVERY music shop should "set up" each guitar before it is sold as this is never done in the factory unless it is hand made . (not a lot of shops do this , but they should)

Tonal quality depends on a few things :-
1/ Plywood Top (self explanatory)
2/ Solid Top ( the top of the guitar is just "1" layer of timber)
3/ Bracing inside the guitar top .
4/ Strings

You can easily tell the difference between Plywood or Solid top by looking at the soundhole , a Solid top the grain of the timber will go through , Ply will
easily be seen . A Solid top guitar will sound better with age & constant playing , vibration from playing "opens up" the grain of the timber and gives a richer sound .
Bracing a lot harder to tell without a mirror .

Strings are a "personal thing" but roughly how it works is :-
Thicker the string , richer the sound , more sustain , harder to play .
Thinner the string , lighter sound , less sustain , easier to play

The neck on a guitar Should have a slight bow, this is how you get a "Low Action" . To test this you hold the string on the "first fret" and also on the "12th or 14th fret" , around the 7th fret there should be a 1mm - 2 mm gap between the string and the fret . ( Guitar Physics ) Once this has been adjusted correctly the Nut & Bridge can be filed down gradually and tested repeatedly , (nut) remove nut and file bottom down till the string is missing 1st fret by about 1mm , (bridge) hold the string on the 12th fret so it's close but doesn't "Buzz".

I have a 12 string guitar adjusted like this and can easily play chords up to the 12th fret . Non adjusted ones you're lucky to get past the 5 - 7th fret .

Tuning Fork ? absolutely necessary (unless you're a bit "tone deaf" )
"A 440" is the best (5th fret , 1st string) then harmonic tune on 5th & 7th fret ( this is called Temper Tuning ) is the best .

Sorry for the long reply , I hope this helps as this was my living for many years .

Norm

Keeping FORDS in the family

(Embarressment :yeees: , Son now has a "Camira" : )
"Look Right , Look Left , Look Right , BEFORE crossing Roads"
normxb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2007, 01:46 PM   #15
SpooN XL

+1 on Normxb post.

I have taught guitar for about fourteen years and now own a music shop.

Without wanting to be biased, I am an Ibanez/Ashton dealer here are a few suggestions.

Ashton acoustic pack is a great way to get started on a budget the guitars in most cases out of the box are well set up and easy to play. All the new Ashton steel string acoustics have built in tuners which is really handy.
For a little more you can get a solid top Ashton for around $349 they sound pretty decent and have built in tuners as well.

In Ibanez look around for deals as most shops are getting there 2007 stock so discounted old stock is up for grabs. We have a PF60ece Ibanez solid spruce top electric acoustic on sale here for $399 normally $495.

Right through the Ibanez range you will find some nice guitars.

Something different the Washburn D10 is a great solid top acoustic at $399 with very playable neck and nice action.

Art & lutherie acoustics are very nice for the 700-800 and will put many guitars worth double to shame.

Bottom line is, buying a guitar is similar to buying a car it’s a very personal choice. My best advice is just listen and buy something you like the sound of don’t get to hung up on brands.
SpooN XL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2007, 10:24 PM   #16
blutura
ZX-6R & Falcon pilot

my advice, go down to Mooloolaba Music and check out the Yamaha FG700S. You simply won't find a better guitar for the money.

For around $350 you get a solid spruce top, rosewood fingerboard, satin or gloss finish, and tone that's better than a lot of guitars that are twice the price (including some of the bigger brands like Fender).

Seriously, check one out, you won't be disappointed.

You can only have two.
blutura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2007, 10:30 PM   #17
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

On the topic of guitars, I havn't got any advise as I'm just a beginner but this link is a video of someone really talented which everyone may enjoy.
http://www.glumbert.com/media/mckee
AUXRVIII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2007, 10:41 PM   #18
Qwikcorty
V8 Turbo Hoon

last year i bought a ashton d35ceq, thought for $400 with a hard case was reasonable. It has an inbuilt tuner and electric pickup. cant play much more than the flintstones yet, havent got much patience for it sometimes.
Qwikcorty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2007, 11:42 PM   #19
Airmon
King of the Fairy's.

You can get Ashton or Arias for the same price in packs like that, and Also I'd go for a guitar with a Cut-out as it can be alot more convenient. Most acoustics are decent for around the $200 mark, my first was a $190 Aria and it still goes strong.
An electronic pickup can be bought in guitars for around that price too and they can be handy.
Airmon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2007, 11:58 PM   #20
kenz
BOSS Pilot

Thanks for all your help guys. Its on hold for a week or so as Ive been tied down with work. But more work means more money for me to spend

Quote:
Originally Posted by blutura
my advice, go down to Mooloolaba Music and check out the Yamaha FG700S. You simply won't find a better guitar for the money.

For around $350 you get a solid spruce top, rosewood fingerboard, satin or gloss finish, and tone that's better than a lot of guitars that are twice the price (including some of the bigger brands like Fender).

Seriously, check one out, you won't be disappointed.
Thanks blutura. Im gunna try and get there on Thursday night I think they are open at the new kawana store.

Blue SY Territory Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600
No matter how good the F6 is (and it is damn good), its missing two cylinders.
kenz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2007, 03:31 AM   #21
normxb
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Location: Sitting on the Dunny , Contemplating "What to do Next".

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpooN XL
I have taught guitar for about fourteen years and now own a music shop.

Without wanting to be biased, I am an Ibanez/Ashton dealer .
Wow SpooN XL , Prices of Ibanez & Washburns have come down ( I was an Ibanez dealer too), this could be due to GST instead of the old Wholesale Sales Tax , I was in business before the GST came in & lots of people didn't realise how much "hidden" tax they were paying , anything from 12.5% to 32.5%.
I've seen a few Ashtons & they seem a pretty reasonable guitar .

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpooN XL
Bottom line is, buying a guitar is similar to buying a car it’s a very personal choice. My best advice is just listen and buy something you like the sound of don’t get to hung up on brands.
Very good advice.

Keeping FORDS in the family

(Embarressment :yeees: , Son now has a "Camira" : )
"Look Right , Look Left , Look Right , BEFORE crossing Roads"
normxb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2007, 01:41 AM   #22
racingdriver
Starter Motor

Hey Luke
u got that guitar yet?
racingdriver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post