Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 06-03-2007, 05:27 AM   #1
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default attaching genuine side skirts

hey guys
i have purchased some genuine BA fairlane side skirts and need to figure out how to attach them?

from what ive been told they screw in with some tech? screws in the scuff plate area? where are these screws and or how do i get to them

thanks guys

Old 06-03-2007, 05:44 AM   #2
plext
Forum Director

A tek screw is a self drilling screw. Much like a normal screw but with a drill bit machined into the end.

They can be obtained at just about any hardware store.

I would be careful using them though, as the 'drill' part is not as finely made as a dinkum drill bit, any running off the intended target area could be nasty for paintwork. Personally, I would pre drill the holes with a good sharp steel bit.

I think that skirts are generally also held on with an adhesive as well as screws, certainly the skirts on my ute are, as I could see the remains when I managed to tear one of them off. It looked a lot like sikaflex, but I could be wrong on that.
plext is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2007, 08:12 AM   #3
JefXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well they should have a few screws under the sill panel and a couple directly behind the wheels,then sikaflex if the door jamb area on the upper sill panel.
JefXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2007, 08:46 AM   #4
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Also ... from what I remember seeing under mine (as I bought Mick's Factory kit for the ute) ... there are also flat clips that hold the skirt in place along the bottom sills under the vehicle.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2007, 08:55 AM   #5
The Dok
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There were no screws used in the scuff plate area when I did mine, if you (carefully) remove the rubber strip (that sits on top of the sill panel) the holes should mate up with the holes already in the skirt, from there it should just clip on. The underside is a different issue, you may need to use a few screws there but over all, mine was an easy conversion (considering there were none on the car previously).
Old 06-03-2007, 12:30 PM   #6
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dok
There were no screws used in the scuff plate area when I did mine, if you (carefully) remove the rubber strip (that sits on top of the sill panel) the holes should mate up with the holes already in the skirt, from there it should just clip on.
same here, only thing is be careful pulling it off i broke 1 or 2 of those holes in the skirts

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2007, 12:59 PM   #7
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by plext
I think that skirts are generally also held on with an adhesive as well as screws, certainly the skirts on my ute are, as I could see the remains when I managed to tear one of them off. It looked a lot like sikaflex, but I could be wrong on that.
Yeah, I had some BA XR ute skirts that had some sixaflex still stuck on the inside of the skirt.

Holes should line up pretty much 100%, I'm not sure if you need to get the skirts cut and plastic welded like the ute cabin skirt from BA to AU.
Old 06-03-2007, 01:50 PM   #8
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

its a direct bolt on
was just wondering how they bolt/clip/glue on

thanks for the info guys
Old 06-03-2007, 06:03 PM   #9
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

Fit them front first, not like the morons at Paja (who marketed the whole Peregrine Falcon thing and aren't in business anymore, at least not under the same name) who first fitted my Rebel side skirts rear first then tried telling me my car must be a bit short when there was a gap at the front they couldn't fill properly with Sikaflex...
Mark351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2007, 06:57 PM   #10
amiers
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hey blackers, what did you pay for them. the loons havnt got back to me yet.
amiers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2007, 02:55 AM   #11
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

$120 for the pair supposed to be $200 but Botch beng such a good fellow said i could still have them for $200 (he miss quoted me)
Old 08-03-2007, 02:16 PM   #12
amiers
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thats cheap!!!!! want a pic when you get them on. i dont mind the ba ones
amiers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post