Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 05-03-2007, 08:53 PM   #1
DVDude
Starter Motor

Default Number 6 Cylinder not firing

Hi all. My first post here. I have a AU1 Forte 6 cyl. It was running really rough so I changed the plugs. No difference. So I started pulling off leads while it was idling to discover that number 6 wasn't firing at all. I changed the lead and unfortunately it's still not firing. What's the next step with this? Is there something that will stop number 6 cylinder from firing, some kind of shutdown or something or is my ignition shot?

DVDude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2007, 08:54 PM   #2
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

If it's not the lead, then it is probably the coil pack. Replace it and it should fire.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2007, 09:01 PM   #3
DVDude
Starter Motor

Please excuse my ignorance. I've not had a car this new before and I've never had to touch this one. Where is the coil pack. Is it the box the leads plug into? Is it like a module I just pull off and replace? Thanks.

Last edited by DVDude; 05-03-2007 at 09:02 PM. Reason: spelling
DVDude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2007, 09:13 PM   #4
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Check the injector.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2007, 09:44 PM   #5
au2sw
Blown 5L coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDude
Please excuse my ignorance. I've not had a car this new before and I've never had to touch this one. Where is the coil pack. Is it the box the leads plug into? Is it like a module I just pull off and replace? Thanks.
yup, thats the one. a little difficult to get to, as you would have found out replacing leads..... but pretty much unbolt old one and fit new one. using the new one as a guide, you will be able to find approximately where the bolts to undo are and will make the job that little bit easier. also check the service history in the log book that should have come with the car to see how up to date the servicing is. how many ks on the clock?
oh and welcom to aufalcon.com and the au brother/sisterhood always glad to have more people join us. we want to see pics of the new ride as soon as possible!!! also beware you will find before long the mod bug will bite and your wallet will soon shrivel up and die from starvation!! :evil3: :lookedat: :eclipsee_

NEW CLUB FOR SUNSHINE COAST !! www.f-p-e.proboards.com

Contact Col (au2sw) via PM or on MSN @ efmonty@hotmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
Its like central locking in your car. We've all had cars without it and we were fine then, but try and take it from me? NO WAY.
au2sw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2007, 09:56 PM   #6
peterban
AULTD

I would check for spark before trying to replace the coil.
Check the number 6 lead is plugged into the coil ( more by feel than actually seeing )
Take out spark plug connect spark plug lead and rest plug against engine metal part.
Kick engine over and look for spark at electrode end of spark plug.
If there is a healthy spark then as Stav has stated it may be the injector.
If no spark then Au2sw will be correct, so change coil pack.
It will probably be the coil pack but stranger things have happened with cars !!
peterban is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2007, 10:00 PM   #7
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

injector or compression problem. If it was the coil pack it would not firing on 2 cylinders

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2007, 08:59 AM   #8
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter
injector or compression problem. If it was the coil pack it would not firing on 2 cylinders
Either that ... or it doesn't fire at all.

Peterban summarised it perfectly though.

Oh ... Ford will probably want somewhere around $350-400 for a new coil pack.
I went to a trusted wrecker and got a near new one for $60.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post