Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 27-01-2007, 10:37 PM   #1
Jorgo85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Tickford heads

I recently went to my mechanic for a quote to change my head gasket. I explained to him that coolant is starting to leak out between the head and block near the 3rd cylinder. He told me that its a fairly common problem for the head to corrode there and that in the worst case scenario, I'd be up for a replacement head for $1400 fitted. I asked whether it would be replaced with a Tickford head and he told me that I cant get one as there is no part listing for this head in his book. He also said that there is no difference in the casting of the head but the cam is different from standard.

Now, I'm almost certain that I've read somewhere that the tickford head has smaller combustion chambers and larger valves, along with the cam, compared to a standard head. Can anyone set me straight?

Also, for under $1400, I can pick up a complete BA twin cam motor rated at 182kw. How much rooting around would it be to make it fit in an EF?

Jorgo85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2007, 11:43 PM   #2
Kenaz
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFXR65spd
Also, for under $1400, I can pick up a complete BA twin cam motor rated at 182kw. How much rooting around would it be to make it fit in an EF?
Alot mate! For starters they don't clear the bonnet, not to mention getting the DVCT to function properly. Good to see you're thinking outside the square though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels Nov 02
It's suave, more subtle, and yet no less stirring. In fact, the boosted Ford is more polished than any big sedan Australia has ever produced. It's just so damn good, it makes the SS feel crude... Ignore the WRX. Forget the E49. Falcon XR6 Turbo is king.
Kenaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2007, 11:52 PM   #3
gthofan
Gunna girlie-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenaz
not to mention getting the DVCT to function properly.
ash, is that the cam timing?

<INSERT WITTY SIGNATURE HERE>

Daily- 05' BA futura... work done.
Cruiser- 85' VK berlina... more work done
gthofan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2007, 12:08 AM   #4
Kenaz
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthofan
ash, is that the cam timing?
Yep ;) DVCT = Dual Variable Cam Timing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels Nov 02
It's suave, more subtle, and yet no less stirring. In fact, the boosted Ford is more polished than any big sedan Australia has ever produced. It's just so damn good, it makes the SS feel crude... Ignore the WRX. Forget the E49. Falcon XR6 Turbo is king.
Kenaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2007, 02:44 AM   #5
havoc19
Banned

In answer to your first question yes there is a diffrence in xr6 heads.

Tickford alloy cylinder head including:
Larger valves (41mm dia valves replacing std 39mm).
Reshaped exhaust ports / runners.
Reshaped intake runners at the valve mouth to improve incoming 'air tumble and flow dynamics'.
Identifiable by a 'T' cast into the front of the head.

Check out this website if you wanna know everything that was diffrent
http://www.trueblueford.com/EFxr_specs.html
havoc19 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2007, 02:54 AM   #6
XR6TickfordBoy
Now XR8TickfordBoy

Might be worth looking around for a second hand Tickford head from a wreckers or somethin as I doubt ud want to downgrade to standard heads as the Tickford heads are much better! As said prob some better options for $1400!
EF XR8- Respray in Monza Red with Clear Coat, Custom Rear Bar, AU V8, EL GT MAF, Rebuilt and Strengthened Auto with Stage 2 Shift Kit, 2,500RPM Stallie and tranny cooler, Rebuilt Diff with 4.11 Gears, Custom Radiator, King Ultra Lows, Pedders Shocks, NL Concorde Rims.
XR6TickfordBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2007, 03:05 AM   #7
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I recently went to my mechanic for a quote to change my head gasket. I explained to him that coolant is starting to leak out between the head and block near the 3rd cylinder. He told me that its a fairly common problem for the head to corrode there and that in the worst case scenario, I'd be up for a replacement head for $1400 fitted. I asked whether it would be replaced with a Tickford head and he told me that I cant get one as there is no part listing for this head in his book. He also said that there is no difference in the casting of the head but the cam is different from standard.

Now, I'm almost certain that I've read somewhere that the tickford head has smaller combustion chambers and larger valves, along with the cam, compared to a standard head. Can anyone set me straight?

Get a second opinion as if the corrosian hasn't eaten it completly a weld job is very possible and they dont cost much , or possiblt find a used head ?
either way there are better ways than buying a new unit .
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2007, 09:22 AM   #8
BI6TIM
SnortPerformance.com

Or for less than $1400 you could get a complete AU motor with the modified sump to fit EF/EL an just drop that in.
BI6TIM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2007, 12:24 PM   #9
Christiaan
Tuned @ Pitlane Frankston

Quote:

For starters, get a new mechanic.

It won't be the head thats corroded, it'll be the gasket. The head can be reco'd for around $500 (that's a full reco). And you'll have your tickford head.

He probably wants to flog the tickford head off, and fit a standard one to your car. shifty bugger.
BA MKII XR6 Turbo, 6sp Manual - Vibe purple, Premium sound, Sports leather, BA XR8 wheels, Koni adjustable suspension, Nizpro v/springs, Walbro in-tank pump, Siemens 60lb injectors, Process West stage 1 intercooler, Mal Wood 11" Option 3 clutch, Tripod gauges, Custom Mainlube T56 gearbox oil, ETM turbo oil feed line, Typhoon intake, BMC Panel filter, Turbosmart BOV, Tuned by Pit Lane Performance - 300.4rwkw @ 12psi
Christiaan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2007, 01:10 PM   #10
old_mate
Smash the Boost

No, the alloy does corrode as well. Only one of my eseries heads (i have done three) has been able to get away with a skim. The other two needed welding around the water jackets between cyls three and four

1971 Fairmont Sedan

1974 SWB F100

Keyboard Warrior - A Person who, being unable to express his anger through physical violence (owning to their physical weakness, lack of bravery and/or conviction in real life), instead manifests said emotions through the text-based medium of the internet, usually in the form of aggressive writing that the Keyboard Warrior would not (for reasons previously mentioned) be able to give form to in real life.
old_mate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2007, 01:13 PM   #11
Christiaan
Tuned @ Pitlane Frankston

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_mate
No, the alloy does corrode as well. Only one of my eseries heads (i have done three) has been able to get away with a skim. The other two needed welding around the water jackets between cyls three and four
Yeah. But for the mechanic to say he needs a new head right off the bat, doesn't give me too much confidence..
BA MKII XR6 Turbo, 6sp Manual - Vibe purple, Premium sound, Sports leather, BA XR8 wheels, Koni adjustable suspension, Nizpro v/springs, Walbro in-tank pump, Siemens 60lb injectors, Process West stage 1 intercooler, Mal Wood 11" Option 3 clutch, Tripod gauges, Custom Mainlube T56 gearbox oil, ETM turbo oil feed line, Typhoon intake, BMC Panel filter, Turbosmart BOV, Tuned by Pit Lane Performance - 300.4rwkw @ 12psi
Christiaan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2007, 03:53 PM   #12
Jorgo85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

He said that the new head would be the absolute worst case and that $1400 was the max it would cost. He didn't rule out that it might be the gasket and went over the whole weld and skim thing. The main thing that made me a bit iffy about it was the fact that he wouldnt be getting another Tickford head
Old 28-01-2007, 06:13 PM   #13
FRDXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How much did he say if the head turns out fine after pressure/crack test etc?
FRDXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2007, 01:44 AM   #14
Jorgo85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

He didn't say. He usually does me a pretty good deal coz he went to school with my sister. He mentioned that the top gasket set would be around $100 (head, manifolds etc) and for labour I'm not sure.
Old 29-01-2007, 12:21 PM   #15
trick_xd
I build your wish list...

Permaseal gasket set = 48+
Head bolts = 21+
AU Head gasket 50+
Machine head , Pressure test 80+
Weild any Holes ?? 25 for the first one and 10 for every one after that.
then there is the time to do it .
It takes 4-5hrs to do a e-series @ 70$ a hr

a short job like that will come to around the 600 mark.
BUT then again EVERY Place and Mechanic charges diffrent. To do this same job at the next place down the road they will charge 850 - 1000..
even a exchange head is less then 500.. AND Now they are Making Brand NEW heads for E-series. I think they are $300 NEW but with no springs or valves
Old 30-01-2007, 09:07 PM   #16
Jorgo85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by trick_xd
AND Now they are Making Brand NEW heads for E-series. I think they are $300 NEW but with no springs or valves
Have you got any idea who manufactures these bare heads and whether they do the XR6 ones? Wouldn't mind building the head up myself and doing it all at home.