Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 20-10-2006, 03:02 AM   #1
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Servo's

Just wondering how many people on here have worked in, or are working at a servo?

I've got an interview tomorow for the local Mobil cos I needed money fast, and they were looking for work.

Good job/crap job? Going to get stabbed much? Any perks?

A few of my best mates friends work in there, and they seem to think the pay is pretty good, and they just sit in there doing their Uni work the whole time..

I'll be looking at working there, and the local pub on a sunday ($27 an hour) and some weekdays so I can start getting some more funds into the damn car!

Cheers =)

Van D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2006, 03:34 AM   #2
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well my dad was doin it and he found it a good job
as long as the other staff are nice its a cruisey do what u gotta do style job!

stabbings.. well.. it depends where teh servo is really.. the local police should have a record or at least some idea of what servos have been held up most in your area..
good luck.. should be a decent job for ya anyway mate!!

for good easyish money.. look at warehousing/ picking and packing for places like coles myer..supercheap auto... repco.. any big corperation that has a distribution side of things
Old 20-10-2006, 05:17 PM   #3
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well had the interview. Seems like a good place there, i'm a bit worried about the referals though, because the place I worked almost a couple years ago now, I left on bad terms with, and they'l be calling them! Bummer.

I was talking to the guy in there about it, and he's in his late twenties and gets $24/h for weekends and $18/h for weekdays and has being working there for 4 months or so. If I got anywhere around there i'd be happy (only 18 though, duno if it makes a difference).

I've got to go see them again on monday, so I spose i'll see how I go.

Only problem for me working at a repco etc is I wouldn't know enough about different cars/parts to be a help I don't think. And I hate going into those stores and getting served by airheads! Anyone know what places like that pay?
Old 20-10-2006, 05:34 PM   #4
BAWagonWheels

mobil is a great company to work for.

used to work for them in my teenage years. good luck with it. hope you get the job. i enjoyed getting on top of those big fuel tankers to check volumes. its like you're on top of the world.

cars stealing petrol and robberies are unavoidable, you must be vigilant.
BAWagonWheels is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2006, 08:44 PM   #5
Josh_XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I did work at a servo as a first job, easiest job in the world stand there or sit and talk to people that come in, nothing more nothing less. Easy money for young people.
Bionic BF XR8 - 6 speed manual, reversing sensors, premium sound, GT starter button. 218rwkw - Got to love the BOSS!!
Josh_XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2006, 10:44 PM   #6
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You'll get alot of morons bitching to you about fuel prices, but otherwise theres worse way to earn a crust.
(ive never done it but know people who have)

You'll see plenty of hot chics too. Getting in and out of the car in their miniskirts :
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2006, 11:16 PM   #7
woodsy109

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
You'll get alot of morons bitching to you about fuel prices, but otherwise theres worse way to earn a crust.
(ive never done it but know people who have)

You'll see plenty of hot chics too. Getting in and out of the car in their miniskirts :

Mostly true although now that the fuel price is over $1 and doesn't look like coming down, people seem to have stopped whinging.

I have worked in servos on and off for 4 or 5 years and my brother manages one. It's a good place to work cause you do get spare time at night ect to do bugger all (I used to read the stick mags/do uni work). There are some crappy owners that make you do heaps of cleaning and stuff but generally most places don't expect you to do a lot. Usually flexible hours too which is great especially if you have another job or are at uni.
woodsy109 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2006, 06:44 AM   #8
TheChemist
Starter Motor

yeah my first job was for mobil, the only thing is unless you become a manager thing, once you are older than 24 your pay rate stays the same every year. But its an easy job, keep the store clean, hit a button to start the pumps, i got to shut down the shop every night, had to smash the window to get in the next time i had a shift because they changed the doors and forgot to give me a key! The cops only took 3 mins to show up though which was pretty funny.
THe worst part was the drive offs, made me feel like **** when i saw it had happened, the bastards
TheChemist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2006, 07:55 AM   #9
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

It's not a bad job, takes a bit of getting used to. I did 8 years at various servo's doing graveyard shifts and only got held up once.

The best peice of advice i can give you is this. If you are working Graveyard or night shitfs, for the first two weeks do not have background music/radio on. I know this sounds like a wierd piece of advise but it will allow you to get used to the normal sounds of the servo, ie fridges, creaks groans etc. This way once you are used to what is "normal" you will pick something out of the ordinary.

Next advice is keep a good eye on what pump people come from and if you are not sure or they are not sure of the pump number never ask to clarify "was that the $10.00 or $20.00 on the other side?" Use questions like "was yours the yellow or the green car?"

And always go with your gut ....if something Feels wrong take all precautions like locking the door until you see who it is entering and then letting them in.

Drive offs will happen at the pump furtherest away from the console and closest to the exit. classic sign of a drive off is driver stays in vehicle at that pump usually using the pump to try and hide, whilst the passenger gets out to fill the car.
Way to prevent this is to make it bluntly obvious you are aware of whats going on. I would go and walk in front of the car with a notepad and pen and make it blindly obvious you are taking the rego. If they ask if you don't trust them all you need to say is its just a precaution actually walk past where the rego sticker is and compare that to the plates. If it is different actually ask the driver why that is so he knows you have taken note of the real number.
They will usually pay after that because they have been recognised, a thief hates to be found out.

On shoplifting: If I suspected it (specially a group of kids) I would actually come out from behind the counter and go up to them (usually in the corner of the shop that hidea them best and say in a loud friendly voice (but enough to startle them) " Welcome to Caltex, Can I assist you at all?" Its a sublte way of letting them know you know they are up to no good. If you catch them redhanded tell them to empty there pockets and put the stuff on the shelf and get out and never return. If they do return in a few nights refuse them entry and use the PA system to let them and any other incedental customer know that you asked them to leave the other night for shoplifting and told them not to come back. (it puts the incedental other customer in the picture as to why you are resfuing entry to them so they don't try and defend them). As long as you are fair and reasonable usually your boss will back you up, he does not want shoplifters in the place either.
Old 27-10-2006, 12:13 AM   #10
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sorry for late reply guys..

Thanks heaps for the tips and info. They want to start training me up ASAP, so if I do good, i've got the job I spose (which i'm confident I will)!

Yaw - Did you have any trouble with people coming back after acusing them of a drive off etc to start something? Or do they pretty much realise you have camera's, and it's not worth it?

PS: i'll be asking when I got in first time for training.. But anyone know what the pay would roughly be for an 18 year old?
Old 27-10-2006, 12:34 AM   #11
Longreach

do a google and search for award wages, i can't remmeber the site sorry. But If you google your state plus award wages, with abit of time you should be able to find out the different awards for ages in the industry. Thats just my best bet option though other than that no idea sorry mate.
Longreach is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2006, 11:29 PM   #12
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by popinfresh
Sorry for late reply guys..

Thanks heaps for the tips and info. They want to start training me up ASAP, so if I do good, i've got the job I spose (which i'm confident I will)!

Yaw - Did you have any trouble with people coming back after acusing them of a drive off etc to start something? Or do they pretty much realise you have camera's, and it's not worth it?

PS: i'll be asking when I got in first time for training.. But anyone know what the pay would roughly be for an 18 year old?

Nahh they are usually too gutless, worth thing I saw someone upturn one of the bins....big deal