Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 29-06-2006, 03:58 PM   #1
poolkeeper
Its Resonating!

Default Will It Work

Will a ef intake system fit on a au, it looks similar but im not quite sure. Anyone know?

poolkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2006, 04:16 PM   #2
ClassicAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

why would you want to change it? is there some sort of benifit to be had? sorry, i am just curious is all
ClassicAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2006, 04:19 PM   #3
poolkeeper
Its Resonating!

Heard it flows more air, it seems like it is less restrictive than the au one. But will it fit, who knows????
Old 29-06-2006, 04:21 PM   #4
ClassicAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sounds handy, i guess there is only one way to find out hey!! just give it a go
ClassicAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2006, 05:08 PM   #5
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Looks like it would fit ! ..lol , im just guesing though , but by the shape of it / it looks pretty much right , try it .

If it does fit i recon you'd maybe get slightlly faster throttle response , looking at the desing/shape of it . gl.

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2006, 05:51 PM   #6
chief
FTF Club Moderator

I dont think that part of the EF set up, ie the pipeing will flow better than AU. The EF air box does draw more air than the AU one.

Falcon Tickford FPV (FTF) Car Club of NSW

Fords in the Park 2010

I use and recommend Stingray Car Security.
http://www.stingraycar.com.au/
chief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2006, 05:56 PM   #7
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Look at it this way. Every time Ford changes the shape of a part, they are up for new design costs, tooling costs etc. If that setup worked well on an AU, do you think they would have spent money on changing the shape? The logical answer to that question is No, so if Ford deemed it necessarty to change the part, it is probably for a good reason, and I doubt the EF piping will give much benefit at all.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2006, 06:01 PM   #8
ReVd_uP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i agree with jc, not only that but its also less direct that the AU set up, so id imagine, if anything, throttle respomse would suffer
ReVd_uP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2006, 06:11 PM   #9
sednwol

What is the advantage re cold air intake?
sednwol is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2006, 06:14 PM   #10
poolkeeper
Its Resonating!

Just bigger piping, thats all
Old 29-06-2006, 06:20 PM   #11
sednwol

So it's not performance related?
sednwol is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2006, 06:41 PM   #12
poolkeeper
Its Resonating!

Dont really know, thats y i wanna know if it will fit. My car is more show than go at the moment. ha ha
Old 29-06-2006, 09:58 PM   #13
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

The EF twin tract intake is more restrictive than the AU setup.
Hence why the EL setup doesn't use it and went to a larger elbow.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2006, 05:24 PM   #14
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sednwol
What is the advantage re cold air intake?
Heaps, cold air is way better than grabbing hot air from under the bonnet.
Old 30-06-2006, 05:42 PM   #15
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

ALL EA to AUs have cold air induction standard.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2006, 10:29 PM   #16
ORESUMSR
Legless Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by D1XR2C
Will a ef intake system fit on a au, it looks similar but im not quite sure. Anyone know?
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but in answer to your question, yep, it'll definately fit with a few minor modifications.

1. you will need to get the EF rear engine breather hose, because the AU
one is different and no matter how you try to make it fit, without cutting
it, it'll just come off.

2. You'll also have to get the extended rocker cover bolt (No.2 position) that
supports the large induction pipe over the engine. Without it, the whole
system will just flop around.

3. Lastly you will need to get the flexible rubber hose to connect the
induction pipe to the throttle body. If you can't get the original, a piece
of 75mm dia. silicon hose will fit. You'll only need about 75mm then cut it
to length

I have fitted this set-up to my AUII and I have found that the initial lag from take-off has disappeared and the car seems more responsive. I think my economy is a little better but who knows in city driving where some days you get no hold ups and others it's stop start from go to wo.

I decided to fit the EF induction for 3 months and give it a fair assessment, after reading the following article, in part, attributed to Jim Mock of Jim Mock Motorsport.

Quote "Contrary to popular opinion, J.M.M. says the EF Falcon's divided passage induction pipe between the airbox and throttle gives more power than the larger, single-bore pipe used on the EL and AU." End quote.

I can only assume that they have done their tests to come to this conclusion and you can only be guided by the experts, who know their business, as I have also been from reading the wise words of the contributors to these forums.

To date I am very happy with the EF set-up and can't see any reason to replace it at the moment.
ORESUMSR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2006, 10:51 PM   #17
AU3 HERROD XR8
XR8 M8

i remember reading an article the the ef top lid or something has a bigger inlet diameter of 80mm and the au has only aroun 57mm or something, im positive that the article was about the ef air intake was 18% better than the au. Then again correct me if im wrong.
Old 26-08-2006, 01:49 AM   #18
Hords
Treasure your balls?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU3 HERROD XR8
i remember reading an article the the ef top lid or something has a bigger inlet diameter of 80mm and the au has only aroun 57mm or something, im positive that the article was about the ef air intake was 18% better than the au. Then again correct me if im wrong.
You're right...
http://autospeed.drive.com.au/cms/article.html?&A=0073
Old 26-08-2006, 03:50 AM   #19
Smoked
Burnin Rubber

The EF airbox lid provides more flow, but the design of the intake piping from the Airbox to the T/B is more restrctive then the AU version. As JC previosly said, FORD wouldn't have changed it unless it provided a benefit to the engine.
***Coming Soon: Clear Side Repeaters***
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-ShowStoPPa
...dont get me wrong this 3.8v6 is pretty special, it does come with the popular shake rattle and roll option and the auto compliments this with the ever popular snap crackle and pop feature
Smoked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2006, 07:32 AM   #20
ORESUMSR
Legless Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoked
The EF airbox lid provides more flow, but the design of the intake piping from the Airbox to the T/B is more restrctive then the AU version. As JC previosly said, FORD wouldn't have changed it unless it provided a benefit to the engine.
Under normal circumstances, I would definately agree however when it comes to fraud, I am very sceptical.

Take for example the auto box dipstick, where has it gone, why has it been deleted, what improvement did this make over previous models? I'll tell you, COST. That's all it was. It was cheaper not to cast a receptacle in the box to receive the dipstick therefore saving on the cost of the dipstick also. Where is the benefit in not having a dipstick...

I believe that the change from the EF style of double passage air intake to the simpler EL intake, with the ribbed "U" bend, was motivated by cost -it was just too expensive to manufacture. It was changed again to the AU 's plain "U" bend pipe with no difference except that the external ribs were removed because it was cheaper to manufacture. Not because it was beneficial to the motor in any way.

Just in this instance I have listened to the advice given by an engine modification engineer who is an expert in his field. I don't think he would put his, and his company's name, to an article which can be easily proven to be mischieviously false, by any other modification workshop with the facilities to do the test.

This is the link to the article to which I was referring, however it is in Autospeed and I'm not a member to be able to retrieve the rest of the article for you to read. Maybe another member can open it up as it's worthwhile reading. Yep, you guessed it, I also got it from an Autospeed registered member who had the foresight to post it.

http://autospeed.drive.com.au/cms/A_2236/article.html

As I said earlier, I have found benefits with it fitted to my car and that is all that really matters in the end. I have also got a K&N filter, but some members say that there is no improvement over the standard one, some say different and all have their own reasons for saying so, but at the end of the day, it is what benefits the indivual that counts and if I can learn by someone else's trial and error, then it is to my benefit. Gee this is a beneficial society. lol.

Last edited by ORESUMSR; 26-08-2006 at 07:57 AM.
Old 26-08-2006, 07:54 AM   #21
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORESUMSR
Under normal circumstances, I would definately agree however when it comes to fraud, I am very sceptical.

Take for example the auto box dipstick, where has it gone, why has it been deleted, what improvement did this make over previous models? I'll tell you, COST. That's all it was. It was cheaper not to cast a receptacle in the box to receive the dipstick therefore saving on the cost of the dipstick also. Where is the benefit in not having a dipstick...
thy removed the dispstick to help with warrantie clams from the DIY mechanics from over filling the trans or just plain using the wrong oil...

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2006, 08:18 AM   #22
ORESUMSR
Legless Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecraft
thy removed the dispstick to help with warrantie clams from the DIY mechanics from over filling the trans or just plain using the wrong oil...
I'll accept that reasoning if it referred to after the warranty period had expired, but not for warranty purposes unless you're saying that fraud mechanics who do the services during the warranty period, are likely to overfill or just plainly use the wrong oil.

To claim warranty, it has to have been serviced by an approved fraud service centre where the correct oil is always used, as we all know. Have it serviced elsewhere by a DIY mechanic within the warranty period is just plain stupid and fraud, rightfully, would not consider such a claim so it doesn't matter to them either way, it wouldn't cost them a red cent.

Yep, I know that your car can be serviced, during the warranty period, by accredited mechanics other than fraud, and still claim warranty ONLY if everything is done to frauds' standards. But you were referring to DIY mechanics I believe.
Old 26-08-2006, 09:32 AM   #23
T3man
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Look at it this way. Every time Ford changes the shape of a part, they are up for new design costs, tooling costs etc. If that setup worked well on an AU, do you think they would have spent money on changing the shape? The logical answer to that question is No, so if Ford deemed it necessarty to change the part, it is probably for a good reason, and I doubt the EF piping will give much benefit at all.
Yes, correct up to a point. However there are other things that come into the equation. NVH levels are just one reason why Ford may have made the change to the intake tract.

Also it is sometimes more beneficial to absorb the tooling costs for a new part if the manufacturing costs of the part is substantially less than the older one. It would seem to me that the EF tract would definitely be a few cents more costly to manufacture. Maybe the reason for the "flatter" EF tract was for underbonnet clearance - I think the AU may have more underbonnet clearance at this point and so a "larger" (simply round and cheaper to manufacture) part was able to be used. ???
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2006, 08:21 AM   #24
Hords
Treasure your balls?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORESUMSR
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but in answer to your question, yep, it'll definately fit with a few minor modifications.

1. you will need to get the EF rear engine breather hose, because the AU
one is different and no matter how you try to make it fit, without cutting
it, it'll just come off.

2. You'll also have to get the extended rocker cover bolt (No.2 position) that
supports the large induction pipe over the engine. Without it, the whole
system will just flop around.

3. Lastly you will need to get the flexible rubber hose to connect the
induction pipe to the throttle body. If you can't get the original, a piece
of 75mm dia. silicon hose will fit. You'll only need about 75mm then cut it
to length

I have fitted this set-up to my AUII and I have found that the initial lag from take-off has disappeared and the car seems more responsive. I think my economy is a little better but who knows in city driving where some days you get no hold ups and others it's stop start from go to wo.

I decided to fit the EF induction for 3 months and give it a fair assessment, after reading the following article, in part, attributed to Jim Mock of Jim Mock Motorsport.

Quote "Contrary to popular opinion, J.M.M. says the EF Falcon's divided passage induction pipe between the airbox and throttle gives more power than the larger, single-bore pipe used on the EL and AU." End quote.

I can only assume that they have done their tests to come to this conclusion and you can only be guided by the experts, who know their business, as I have also been from reading the wise words of the contributors to these forums.

To date I am very happy with the EF set-up and can't see any reason to replace it at the moment.

Is it possible to post some pics of this setup?
Old 15-10-2006, 09:51 AM   #25
JoesAu

keep what u have its goood enuf.
JoesAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post