Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 27-05-2010, 08:50 PM   #1
Airmon
King of the Fairy's.

Default Thumbs up to the State government. (NSW)

Well we are all quick to bag out the State government when they stuff up or do something stupid, I thought that it would be good to share a positive thing the Government, at least in my local area, appear to be doing.

Over the past 12+ weeks I've noticed a large increase in the presence of Highway Patrol cars on my daily commute. In the 3 years I've been commuting (130km round trip) its always been an extremely rare occasion to see a Highway patrol car, but as of late its hard to go a day without seeing one.

Now every time the government puts up a new form of Speed camera we're all quick to complain that they should invest in putting more cars on the road, and at least in my little corner of Sydney they are doing so.

These roads (namely Appin/Mt Ousley- Route69 and Picton Rd) are well known for their high fatalities, which happen mostly due to fatigue.
So I have to give the thumbs up and my thanks to whomever decided to both upgrade Picton Rd and have extra patrols on the lookout aswell as the display signs reminding people on fatigue. While it may be long overdue, its only appropriate to put credit where credit is due.
And Kudos to the boys in blue who (so far) are not putting speed traps at the bottom of steep hills just to get revenue,but in spots to catch those speeding on-purpose, one I saw today was at the top of a long uphill stretch. It would take a fair bit of effort to speed there.

I've certainly been paying more attention to my speed.

Cheers.

Airmon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2010, 02:58 PM   #2
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hopefully it will catch on to other states/areas. More patrol cars will have a far greater impact on reducing the road toll then speed cameras IMO. You need to consider all aspects of road safety when driving with patrol cars (not just speed)

But good to see some people are looking for solutions rather than cash.

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2010, 03:36 PM   #3
Fled74
The Thread Killa

Over the last few weeks I've noticed more patrol cars in our area too (Melbourne's western burbs), and a marked decrease in burnout noises at 2AM.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Fled74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2010, 03:53 PM   #4
nang3

about time the XXX milloin bucks the revenue pigs bring in was put to a good use, now just to get them to allocate the other 99% of it to a good cause!!
nang3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2010, 04:53 PM   #5
|||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

someone told me once that there's always lots more patrols in may/june because the police have to make sure they spend their fuel/vehicle maintenance budget before the end of the financial year.
||| is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post