Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 17-07-2006, 08:56 AM   #1
XRchic
Hello

Default Broadband/ADSL - which one to get?

Hey

We are looking to get a decent Broadband package somehow over the next few weeks. We have all of our phones with Telstra (mobiles and land line) and we get all sorts of benefits from having the lot bundled together etc.

We were thinking of sticking with Telstra and get Bigpond, but we are not sure what else is out there. We dont really download a lot of stuff (ie music or movies) but we would like it fast.

Are there any good packages with Telstra that any of you guys have, or even a good package with someone else. We are prepared to change providers if another package is good enough!

We figured that so many of you guys have Broadband that you would all have some good ideas.

Also, what is the deal with connection? Do they still come to your house and set it all up for you, or do you just go get the modem from somewhere and you set it up yourself? Or do you have a choice?

Thanks

Jac and Eamon

: Cobra :
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2006, 08:58 AM   #2
JTFG
In a Ford..at last!

I don't know what packages Bigpond really have but if Cable is in your area then definatly get that!
JTFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2006, 09:05 AM   #3
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I used to be on Telstra ADSL. It wasn't too bad and wasn't offline very often but interuptions usually happened right when something important needed doing. My Telstra acct was 256/64 $59.95 10mb webspace and 10gb limit.

I churned over to Internode and haven't looked back. 512/128 $49.95 50mb webspace and a 20gb limit. Haven't had an outage since I've been connected to them. Very please. I want more speed but my wallet tells me no. :( No 12 month or 24 month contracts with Internode either

nb..I've also had Bigpond cable. Outages are very common. Especially when the modems get warm.

Tuned by Hallam Performance

Last edited by brenx; 17-07-2006 at 09:10 AM. Reason: wrong price
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2006, 09:07 AM   #4
SunDrifter
To shreads you say?!

www.whirlpool.net.au

Plenty of information here. I wouldn't recommend Telstra however, they are fairly expensive.

I use iiNet, and apart from the outage for a couple of hours last night, they have been good for the last few years. I hear good things about Westnet.
I've owned Holdens and Daewoos, and had plenty of problems with Holdens and none with Daewoos. Of course, the Holden is the more desirable car to own and drive, but based on my experience it is not the higher quality of the two.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickHolden
Weight means nothing to a cars handling...
:
SunDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2006, 09:13 AM   #5
XRchic
Hello

Hmmmm thanks guys! All useful stuff. Since I know nothing, Im going to be taking a lot of note of what you guys say.

Old 17-07-2006, 09:17 AM   #6
BlueXr8

AAnet is who i use (ADSL) and dont have a problem unless the power goes out
BlueXr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2006, 09:17 AM   #7
OldManGhia

Telstra Bigpond have a couple of good deals available. First 3 months free plus a modem $130 and they will credit you $130 on your bill so the modem is basically free. Plans start at $29.95 for 200MB @256/64kbps, $39.95 for 400MB @ 512/128kbps or Un-limited starting at $59.95. They also have a half price offer for upto 12 months depending on what other services you have with Telstra. Half price as above are $14.97, $19.97 & $29.97. They provide a self installation kit which is very simple to setup, just follow the instructions and you should be on in a few minutes.\

I would recommend you stay with Telstra because a lot of other ISPs just can't provide the same service that Telstra do. They maybe a little dearer then others but it is worth it. Most (not all) ISPs lease their equipment from Telstra so if you have a problem Telstra will fix it when they want to but if you are with Bigpond its fixed straight away. Also if Bigpond have service interuptions they generally give you a credit on your next account. My bill this month was $62.95 instead of $69.95 because the ADSL service was out for a couple of hours. Doesn't happen very often though.

Hope this helps.

Steve
OldManGhia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2006, 09:19 AM   #8
ColuntryLad
Starter Motor

I have shopped around abit and I am now useing Wildit and find them very good for reliability and speed the only complaint is when I ring generally get a answering service but normally get a reply within 24 hours.
If your a Whirlpool member they have planns that are totally unlimited as well
ColuntryLad is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2006, 09:27 AM   #9
thefargo
black xb
Donating Member3

was with iihug (iinet) but service was terrible, lots of outage and difficult to get help. Sat on help line (on phone) for at least 45 min each time on hold..which is great as they play a message telling you were to get help on the internet.. lol
with telstra big pond, unlimited, half price for 9 months, no problems at all. the self install kit is easy to follow. I think some issues depend on where you are.
we are in southern south aust and new phone lines have gone in around here, so we don't have any hassles.
telstra may need to install for you if you have multiple phones connected and/or monitored home alarm. this was going to be the case for us, but as we had already had an installation done before, we were okay...they put splitter boxes or something like that in your system.
thefargo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2006, 09:32 AM   #10
3Toed
The Smoking Sloth™

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenx
I churned over to Internode and haven't looked back. 512/128 $49.95 50mb webspace and a 20gb limit. Haven't had an outage since I've been connected to them. Very please. I want more speed but my wallet tells me no. :( No 12 month or 24 month contracts with Internode either
I'm on exactly the same plan and it's very good. I do believe that you need to stay with them for 6 months though or you'll get charged some early cancellation fee. Maybe it doesn't apply if you churn to them though.

If you won't be downloading a lot then another plan to consider is the 1.5M/256k 10 GB plan. It's $59.95.
Amen Brother.
3Toed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2006, 09:56 AM   #11
Doogstar
B-Series Moderator

I'm with TPG (www.tpg.com.au) on their 'Premium 1500' plan $69.95. 1500/256 plan with 25GB limit. It shapes down to 64K when you go over your limit. 6 month contact, setup fee $59.95.

Pretty fast and I can't remember the last time it was down. Help desk is Australia based and very helpful.

Make sure you get a decent download limit, as the faster you CAN download, the more you WILL download. I would say a minimum 5GB.

Setting it up yourself is not too hard, most ISP's supply a setup CD. You just need to put some ADSL filters on your other phones in the house.

As Sundrifter suggested, Whirlpool is the place to go to see what is right for you , use this link to go direct to their 'Broadband Choice' tool. http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/

Good luck, the forums are a different experience on ADSL compared to dial-up. It would be like going from a Suzuki Swift to a F6 Typhoon.

380rwkw - 11.68 @ 120.94mph 60ft=1.97
Custom Tune, Exhaust. injectors.1.2K Plazmaman 1.2K Plenum kit

Now with bigger turbo and 426rwkw.
Doogstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2006, 10:07 AM   #12
XRchic
Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doogstar
Good luck, the forums are a different experience on ADSL compared to dial-up. It would be like going from a Suzuki Swift to a F6 Typhoon.
Thanks mate. Well since I cant get a Typhoon just yet, I will have to get ADSL... my parents have Bigpond and its so fast and nice... it sucks coming home to this poo. And my computer is not slow (its not the fastest out there Im sure), so its kinda wasted with dial up!

Thanks everyone

Old 17-07-2006, 10:09 AM   #13
jonk

Adam 24Mb ADSL 2+. $34 for 5GB download. Don't go with Telstra, you'll regret it later, trust me. Their discout is not a discount at all.
jonk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2006, 10:23 AM   #14
banarcus
hmm eyebrows

Just stay away from Telstra. It took me about 18 months to get out of the contract penalty free and that was with the ombudsman involved.
Old 17-07-2006, 10:27 AM   #15
SunDrifter
To shreads you say?!

Yep, don't go with Telstra. For those telstra subscribers... maybe you should check out whirlpool as well, you might just find a better deal.

I've had a bit of a look around, and apparently iiNet's customer support is getting pretty bad, so bear that in mind.

I've only had to call them twice, once for last nights unplanned outage (report on whirlpool). And once for a line fault (telstra at fault), and i found them to be pretty good. But it does take a while to talk to somebody.
I've owned Holdens and Daewoos, and had plenty of problems with Holdens and none with Daewoos. Of course, the Holden is the more desirable car to own and drive, but based on my experience it is not the higher quality of the two.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickHolden
Weight means nothing to a cars handling...
:
SunDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2006, 10:43 AM   #16
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Telstra lock you into longer contracts if you get sucked in by the "free" months. Also they count uploads as well as downloads. If you use peer to peer file sharing to download stuff like music etc, having uploads counted will hurt your usage. A 1500/256 ADSL connection will be quick enough as many sites you connect to aren't that fast anyway. Also cable modems are more expensive and cannot be used on another network. So Telstra cable modems can't be used on the Optus network - even if they are the same model modem.

ADSL is much more competitive and the hardware can be used with any provider. If you want to keep your Telstra products bundled with them, then iinet may not be for you (I'm not bagging them as I'm happy with them as a customer), as you benefit greatly by bundling your landline with them. Look around Whirlpool's "Broadband choice" section, pick a plan then check out the forums and get a feel for the ISP's service quality and reliability.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2006, 11:02 AM   #17
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A bit of reality here.....

If you live outside the capital cities it is ALL Telstra. None of the VISPs have any infastructure and are just reselling Telstra wholesale.

The differences are:-

Authentication:
If your username/passwd is buggered up or the A/S is broken you have to deal with the VISP and they fix it.

Oncarriage:
Some of the more povvo VISPs have limited bandwidth after the IPSN/ERX and that can limit you when things are busy.

IPSN/CMUX/ULL problems:
The VISP has to contact the infastructure owner (Telstra) and they fix it, this sometimes is slow as the VISPs do not always pass on the correct message. If you are with a VISP and call Telstra to fix the problem they are prevented by law from helping you.

Price:
Ever seen how many XR6 turbos and monaros are in a Telstra carpark? (j/k). Most VISPs are cheaper because they have no overheads, they own nothing and just have a small team of billing nazis and techs and a big bag of excuses.
Telstra have, by law, to sell their product at a cheap rate to others. The others then re-sell it to you and make a profit for doing basicly nothing, like real estate agents......

Your choice should be made by concidering, price and reliability. If ADSL is just a fun toy and not important, go the cheapest. If your world ends when it stops then........

Actually if we all started our own VISP... (fordforums, fordforums...internet that flies...) we could all save a heap of money. But who would run it?
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2006, 11:22 AM   #18
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Is there life outside capital cities? :P
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2006, 11:24 AM   #19
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Telstra are way too dear, i would try Internode, Netspace, Westnet or IInet first, look at the whirpool pricing page and compare them all.

I'm with Internode atm they are Adelaide based :

http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/isp.cfm/Internode/9.html

IInet:
http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/isp.cfm/iiNet/15.html

Netspace:
http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/isp.cfm/Netspace/11.html

Westnet:
http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/isp.cfm/Westnet/24.html

Compare the above four with Telstra: No competition.

http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/isp.cfm/T...-ADSL/1-2.html
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2006, 11:58 AM   #20
XRchic
Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laminge
Is there life outside capital cities? :P
We live in Mt Barker... so there must be!!! Hahaha.

Old 17-07-2006, 12:03 PM   #21
Dazza XLT
Back in a Ford

We were out bush when we signed up. Bigpond ADSL, for 24 months. I get 12 months half price. Can't argue with that. Haven't had any issues with them so far.
Good experience over here!
Old 17-07-2006, 12:19 PM   #22
Mk II

While every one says that telstra is to expensive and all the rest it does quite a few features that are very nice to have.

For example you can live stream the v8's off of bigpond and it doesn't count towards your downloads. You can also do this with the NRL and AFL. Then there is the gaming that doesn't count towards your downloads amongst other things..

So while i agree it is more expensive, the video streaming is very very nice to have.

Food for thought,
Mk II
Mk II is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2006, 12:42 PM   #23
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

I am with AAPT - free modem - no fixed contract

512k Broadband 12gig download max per month - if you go over 12gig the speed goes back to 64 then resets back to 12gig after the month is over

I have two computers running off this and havent got close to 12 gig

$69 per month for the plan by itself

OR $69 per month including phone line rental

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2006, 12:42 PM   #24
OldManGhia

I don't mind if everyone prefers to use Westnet, Iinet or any other ISP just means less of an impact on bandwidth when I'm watching V8 Supercars live with no adds.
OldManGhia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2006, 12:48 PM   #25
Reign
Argg..

Ive got Telstra cable (extreme one), no probs at all. If cable is in your area I would suggest it.
Reign is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2006, 12:58 PM   #26
V8R
Turning towards the dark

exetel here.. myself and many ppl ive recommened are happily internetting along
V8R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2006, 01:47 PM   #27
Perana
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Im with Ozemail (which is now just rebranded iinet) atm.. Happy with the service really.. But now that iinet are downgrading my plan from 1500kbps to 512kbps im going to be changing to Internode where I can get up to 24mbit (my exchange has an agile dslam installed) with double the quota for the same price i was paying!

Have just noticed that Internode are in the planning stages of installing a dslam in Mt Barker aswell... That means that Internode won't be relying on Telstra's infrastructure and can also offer much higher speeds (24mbit compared to 1.5mbit) and can (but not always) be cheaper aswell

As far as connection usually they will supply a modem (for a price or as part of going on a contract) which you install yourself, After seeing what some ISP's charge you may be better off buying it yourself though. some will offer wireless modem's aswell which would allow you to use your laptop without it connected to the modem. Also you need to either get filters installed on every phone and alarm system or a central filter which takes care of everything.

Last edited by Perana XR8; 17-07-2006 at 02:11 PM.
Perana is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2006, 01:56 PM   #28
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Jacqui - have you tried Adam internet?

I get ADSL2+ for my home in Christie Downs for $45 a month for 10gig.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2006, 02:17 PM   #29
Perana
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

After looking at the plans offered on Bigpond I would'nt recommend them .. 200MB quota on the base plan and if you go over its 15c per MB... Even though you don't download much you will be suprised how much you will use! Especially with the higher speeds. Also telstra count uploads (what you send to the internet) AND what you download where just about all other ISP's only charge for what you download.

Im pretty sure Mt Barker won't have Telstra Cable Internet either

Last edited by Perana XR8; 17-07-2006 at 02:40 PM.
Perana is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2006, 02:37 PM   #30
Jeeepers
Merry Xmas To All

I am using Bigpond Cable Extreme, I have mo probs. 10 gig limit but no extra costs. Just downgraded to 64kbpm if you go over. Recently downloaded Windows Vista 64bit from Microsoft, 4.2 gig download, and it was all done in 36 mins. "smokin"
$69.95 a month. Jeez, I recal paying that for 33.6kbpm for 40 hours per month. Ahh the good ol' days. :
Jeeepers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post