Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 30-08-2006, 09:40 PM   #1
Pieoter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Free Light Bulbs (NSW and ACT)

The NSW and ACT governments are giving away 6 free energy saving light bulbs to households and even a AAA showerhead to eligible homes.

http://www.easybeinggreen.com.au/ebg/home/order.sok

Once installed, these kits can:

* save you $150 every year on your household energy bill
* eliminate approximately 1 tonne of greenhouse gas pollution every year
* save an average of 21,000 litres of fresh water every year

Pieoter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2006, 10:08 PM   #2
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Yeah we got the light bulbs at the Post Office when we paid the billl. Nothing special just 6 standard energy saver bayonet bulbs.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2006, 10:47 PM   #3
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A great idea. But a tip, if you use a 60w globe in your house and the equivilent is 12w then I would use a 15w energysaver as I find the 12w a little dull. I have used them in nearly all rooms of the house for years and hardly ever have to change them.
Old 31-08-2006, 07:57 AM   #4
Falchoon

Lucky the lamps are free, if you had to pay for them yourself it isn't worth the money to change them over. A regular light bulb retails for around 50c, probably less if you buy no-name brand, a compact fluorescent energy saver lamp is around $3. Lights use very little electricity so you go a long time before you recoup the costs through electricity savings.

Deesun is right, they are a bit dull in comparison to a normal light bulb.
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2006, 08:17 AM   #5
LTDHO
The one and only

I wonder why it is only for NSW and ACT?
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2006, 08:25 AM   #6
AshMan
Girrrrr!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falchoon
Lucky the lamps are free, if you had to pay for them yourself it isn't worth the money to change them over. A regular light bulb retails for around 50c, probably less if you buy no-name brand, a compact fluorescent energy saver lamp is around $3. Lights use very little electricity so you go a long time before you recoup the costs through electricity savings.

Not only that, but the 'energy savers' also last upto 3 times longer than a normal lightbulb, which when taken into account, DOES save money in a quite short period of time.

Ie. They pay for themselves quite quickly.

Pure white light is easier on the eyes and is at a different spot in the colour spectrum, hence the fact that they seem 'dull'.

Heritage green, isn't that a fence paint?
AshMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2006, 10:37 AM   #7
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

I actually hate the pure white ones, they hurt my eyes. But the warm glow ones but out a light similiar to a standard bulbs and are great

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2006, 10:46 AM   #8
HLC
Audi S3

the pure white fluro lookin ones are gross. too sterile. looks like a hospital
Old 31-08-2006, 10:48 AM   #9
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Theres a catch - you are signing away your credits people!
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2006, 12:51 PM   #10
Aussie Falcon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

what do you mean? I always wondered what the catch was.
Aussie Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2006, 01:36 PM   #11
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quick overview is that NSW has a Carbon Credit scheme operating - you earn a "carbon credit" for 'x' amount of greenhouse gases that you stop entering the atmosphere (I THINK x = 1 tonne).

Basically these companies that are giving you "free" lightbulbs and showerheads (and their are many companies) are buying your carbon credit off you. This is because in the fine print you have agreed to fit these lightbulbs and showerhead which reduces 'x' amount of greenhouse gas therefore you have earnt a carbon credit. However also in the fine print you have forfeited your carbon credit to them.

Carbon credits are marketable commodities and these companies then go sell your carbon credit to the highest bidder (usually multinational companies)

It may not all mean much now but in the short term future carbon credits could become extremly valuable and you have in short signed yours away.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2006, 11:16 PM   #12
Aussie Falcon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for the explaination. I googled carbon credits and found some interesting reading. I wonder why this hasn't been brought up more in the media.
Aussie Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2006, 11:31 PM   #13
Electric
F6 and AU Fairmont

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falchoon

Not quite right.... if the light is on a lot, like the one in your family room.

According to my calculations if you replace a single 100w incandescent with a 15W CFL and used it for 5 hours a day everyday for a year in the ACT were electricity costs about 9.9c per kW/hr...

100w 15w

500 75 Wh per day
182500 27375 Wh per year
182.5 27.375 kWh per year
$18.07 $2.70 per year...

Or put another way every 100 hours it will cost you about $1, and over a year it adds up. Seems a lot so I could be wrong...but it has never hapened before. :