Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 26-12-2006, 02:04 AM   #91
MrSparkle
An Old Boss™©
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauljh74
With coax cable daisy chained? I recall me and a mate spending an afternoon playing Doom 1 on 1 via a LAN on a "high powered" 486. Then we got our own PCs in '97 and moved onto LANs with as many as 10 people using daisy chained coax cable with T pieces for each PC and terminators on each end of the chain.
Usually had to install a network card on someone's PC at the LAN then usually had issues with at least 1 PC not able to see the network.
Ahuh! T-junction goodness, and everyone always had different thickness cables which meant trouble! And for some reason our terminators were always screwed too which gave some lovely intermittent problems.

But after all that, there was Rise of the Triad - a LAN classic!
Old 26-12-2006, 11:37 AM   #92
Mental
Cam Luncheon

RAWR!! oh for the good old days of shooting pixels ..

Total Annihilation!! Was I the only one to play this? I kid you not that was the most Epic RTS game ever made! For its time, it was certainly revolutionary. It was the first RTS to use projectile geometry to calculate hits or misses instead of a spreadsheet, which lead to all kinds of fun! Like you aim your Big Bertha (massive single shot cannon) at something -hopefully- relatively stationary and instead obliterate a spy plane that zoomed past the projectiles path! All of the units were 3D which was unheard of for an RTS ... oh the memorys

X-Wing Vs Tie Fighter - Another legendary game for its time!
Old 27-12-2006, 09:48 AM   #93
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

Only games I've played recently was because of being on the beta test team for MS Flight Simulator. I had a P4 3GHz and a gForce 4 video card, plenty of RAM, HDD space, etc. It took over an hour to install and another 30 mins to load, then about 5 mins just to get into "free flight" mode, then it ran at about 1 frame per minute and I had to end up pulling the plug on my PC just to get it to restart. I wasn't impressed.

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2007, 12:27 AM   #94
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I got back into Dune II again. Great game.

I can't see how anybody can like C+C, Warcraft and the other posers more than Dune II.
3 houses, lots of units. For a first go at the genre, it's a bloody top game.

Not recognised anywhere near as much as it should be.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2007, 02:04 AM   #95
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

NERDS!!!
i remember when it was such an awesome thing to link doom to 2 player, it was like top of the world programming back then....sad....

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2007, 02:33 AM   #96
BOTTLEDUP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Does anyone remember Quarantine? Came out around 94/95 I think...
BOTTLEDUP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2007, 02:46 AM   #97
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XD357
Does anyone remember Quarantine? Came out around 94/95 I think...
I remember Quarantine. I didn't play it but my brother did. I was too busy playing Sierra Adventure Classics. Sad thing is, I still play them.

Watching my brother play Doom II via the 28.8 was great. Connect to either "The Arena" or "Playnet" (later became Gaynet) and play. Arena had 8 lines, Playnet had 30.

That was big stuff!

Dune II and Star Control II FTW still.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:01 AM   #98
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathers
I got Larry 1 through 6 in a zip file off Limewire.
It's all on my old computer, which doesn't have enough guts to run them.

My Dad loves the theme to Larry 1, he sometimes sets his computer at work to run the theme repeatedly...and it is his mobile ringtone. _
Your old PC must be really old if it can't run the earlier versions. Like 20 years old. I ran the earlier ones on a 386 fine. LSL1 ran on the XT PCs which had less than 10MHz!

Does your Dad wear Polyester Leisure suits as well?
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2007, 11:09 AM   #99
EviLkarL
Ausfactor.com

Monster Truck Madness 1
EviLkarL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2007, 11:31 AM   #100
robs_ls1

Relentless/Twinsen's adventure

Another vote for DOSBox here. I have no probs with sound. Most games work fine if setup to use a Soundblaster or Adlib card.

DOSBox, ScummVM and MAME can keep me busy for hours.
robs_ls1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2007, 11:35 AM   #101
Sapper
Back to the AU

The Xargon Trilogy and the original 'Microprose Formula One Grand Prix kept me busy for days at a time.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:59 PM   #102
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot xr6
The Xargon Trilogy and the original 'Microprose Formula One Grand Prix kept me busy for days at a time.
As I said, the best racing game at the time (~'92/93).

Need for Speed came out around 95/6 and that was great too.
Old 15-02-2007, 03:53 PM   #103
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Street Fighter II on the PC was an absolute shocker - it was made by U.S. Gold, not Capcom. As a result, the animation is a shocker, special moves are impossible to do and the sound is an absolute shocker.

Some man of Asian descent made his own version. He had the tunes of the game except they were his own versions. The game was unstable though and had a tendency to crash.
But it was still a great game (the home-made one I mean).

One Must Fall was another great fighting game. MAde by Epic Mega Games, it is essentially Robot Kombat. There was a Single players tournament, two player battles or Tournament. The game was great fun. On tournament, you earn money by winning fights and can upgrade your robot, as well as train the pilot (which just so happens to be you).

Let's get some pc game chat going here!
Old 15-02-2007, 04:07 PM   #104
xrobx
Slammin'

Duke Nukem! Brilliant game at the time.

www.bseries.com.au/xrobx
xrobx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2007, 04:11 PM   #105
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob-xr6
Duke Nukem! Brilliant game at the time.
And Shadow Warrior was great too
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2007, 04:57 PM   #106
DivHunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mig 29
Strike Commander
Battledrome
Speed cameras have changed the things we pay attention to and the things we regard as important. Instead of focusing on the dangers ahead, motorists feel that they have been relieved of responsibility for managing their own driving, and have ceded it instead to the mechanical intervention of the camera and other traffic signals.
DivHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2007, 12:14 AM   #107
normxb
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Location: Sitting on the Dunny , Contemplating "What to do Next".

Wow , got heaps of those games listed (thought I was the only "Nutter" )
I've still got a working 386 , 486/sx/25 & 486/dx/66 with 2 massive 40 Meg hard Drives , with these games on them .

Another couple
BOB1939 (Battle fof Britain) if you didn't change the DOS command you needed a table 10ft square to get it to work .
Blocks
Shoot
Hangman
Dragon (match the tile game)
Fab Four (Beatles Quiz)
2 disk set "1,500" PC games (1 disk DOS , 1 disk Windows)

VGA pictures (Gif files) , Buggs Bunny , Eagle , Garfield , Goofy , Coyote , Road Runner , Alien , Huckleberry Hound .
We used to use these in 1989-90 to display computers at our Auction Centre , you could EVEN make them into a "Slide Show"

What was SVGA ?

How about your first computer ? Mine was a "Compaq Deskpro 286/12, 640k Ram , 20 Meg H/D , CGA Video card (quickly upgraded to EGA) 5,1/4" Floppy drive & installed one of the NEW 3,1/2" drives. Windows 3.0 & Excel 3.0 was also the latest thing out ! ! !
RRP $7,400 (Monitor & Mouse optional extra). Still got the price list here somewhere .
Printer = Epson LQ 2400+ (was the Envy of everyone) IBM , Star & Brother were the common ones .

Keeping FORDS in the family

(Embarressment :yeees: , Son now has a "Camira" : )
"Look Right , Look Left , Look Right , BEFORE crossing Roads"

Last edited by normxb; 16-02-2007 at 12:20 AM. Reason: Added Games
normxb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2007, 12:23 AM   #108
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by normxb
Wow , got heaps of those games listed (thought I was the only "Nutter" )
I've still got a working 386 , 486/sx/25 & 486/dx/66 with 2 massive 40 Meg hard Drives , with these games on them .

How about your first computer ? Mine was a "Compaq Deskpro 286/12, 640k Ram , 20 Meg H/D , CGA Video card (quickly upgraded to EGA) 5,1/4" Floppy drive & installed one of the NEW 3,1/2" drives. Windows 3.0 & Excel 3.0 was also the latest thing out ! ! !
RRP $7,400 (Monitor & Mouse optional extra). Still got the price list here somewhere .
Printer = Epson LQ 2400+ (was the Envy of everyone) IBM , Star & Brother were the common ones .
Hello.

Our first computer back in the middle of 1990 was from Micro Dot. The store we purchased from was about 150-200 metres south of the Maroondah Hwy/Springvale Road Intersection. They're gone now.

Cost about $3,500. Was a 286, 1 meg RAM, VGA card, 14" monitor, 40 meg HDD, PC speaker (upgraded to Sound Blaster within 6 months-a year), Witty Mouse (was a totally garbage mouse) and an Epson LQ-400 Dot Matrix printer (we used it until we got this pc in 2001.)

Speaking of the 486 SX-25, we had one of them too, but we got that one for 10 bucks from my old man's work. They were offloading their ancient stuff and yeah, we took it. Came with everything, except the power supply was dead, as was the battery so at every start up, I would have to input the HDD details. But I didn't mind that.

Due to XP having NO support for Soundblaster 8 or 16, the 486 was great for playing older games.
Old 16-02-2007, 12:37 AM   #109
normxb
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Location: Sitting on the Dunny , Contemplating "What to do Next".

Hey "UD"

Yep , remember Micro Dot , 40 Meg ? VGA , (most music video clips wouldn't even fit on them these days) In 1990 , that would have been a top class machine . Amazing how Technology has changed , Huh .

Norm

Keeping FORDS in the family

(Embarressment :yeees: , Son now has a "Camira" : )
"Look Right , Look Left , Look Right , BEFORE crossing Roads"
normxb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2007, 12:56 AM   #110
EA Ghia

Carmageddon was a great game, I still play it every now and then. Running over people and cows and watching them explode never gets old...Even better in Slow-mo! :P

A bit newer, but Civilization III and Civilization II: Test of Time (The best of the series IMO) are games that still get played pretty regularly.

Did anybody ever play Simon the Sorceror and Beneath a Steel Sky? Those are probably my two favorite old-school games...That and the original 'Settlers'

Ahh, memories..
EA Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2007, 12:27 AM   #111
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by normxb
Hey "UD"

Yep , remember Micro Dot , 40 Meg ? VGA , (most music video clips wouldn't even fit on them these days) In 1990 , that would have been a top class machine . Amazing how Technology has changed , Huh .

Norm
lol indeed it has.
It really annoys me when people look at old games and say, "that game is crap! Look at the graphics! And the sound sucks! etc.

But these were games that I grew up on! The Sierra Adventure Games Series were staples, as was Ivan Stewart's Iron Man Off Road Racing, Stunts, Test Drive I and II etc.

There are some genres which have gotten worse over time IMO. Adventure games are a speck on the bum of the Earth now compared to the old stuff.

I also prefer 2D fight games like MK and SFII. Re-creations don't interest me.
Old 17-02-2007, 12:29 AM   #112
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper483
Carmageddon was a great game, I still play it every now and then. Running over people and cows and watching them explode never gets old...Even better in Slow-mo! :P

A bit newer, but Civilization III and Civilization II: Test of Time (The best of the series IMO) are games that still get played pretty regularly.

Did anybody ever play Simon the Sorceror and Beneath a Steel Sky? Those are probably my two favorite old-school games...That and the original 'Settlers'

Ahh, memories..
Beneath a Steel Sky is a bloody awesome adventure game. One of my favourite adventure games ever. The music is quiet in DosBox though, and I loved the music. The game also had pretty good humour through Joey (your robot pal).

The story was also awesome. I wish they had made another one, where Joey had become corrupted (as the mind of Linc) and you have to put things right.

For those who haven't played it, it probably works best on SCUMMVM, which is a program that allows you to fully play the old Lucasarts adventure games, as well as others that used the SCUMMVM engine.
Old 17-02-2007, 01:19 AM   #113
XR8-260
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sim city 2000, Command and Conquer Red Alert :.
Of the more recent titles: Call of duty United Offensive (I totally own on multiplayer lol).
XR8-260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2007, 07:34 PM   #114
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was just thinking...

There is a NFS Porsche...

Wish they had a similar thing with Ford. Start from the original Fords (and race with them) and go through time, watching Ford's evolution. That would be totally awesome.

The problem is that the game would be American and there would be no Australian Falcons. If they spent time, they could easily do it. Unlike Porsche 2000, they should also not have a limit on cars.

Just a personal opinion and an idea too.
Old 03-03-2007, 12:36 PM   #115
Jesk
certified nutter

Yes Total Annihilation wHOOOOOOO
and superkarts
and Wacky Wheels any one,

Who can forget 2player split screen and freezing the other player by pressing too many buttons on the keyboard just as they tried to go round a corner, my bro and i nearly beat each other to a pulp with that tactic
Jesk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2007, 12:43 PM   #116
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

No one has mentioned Galactix!

Haaa 100 levels of blasting away alien invaders... loved it....

Hmm there was another game, bugger what was it called???? was a popular arcade game at the time as well. You flew over a battle field, both land and water shooting at planes, airships and ground tanks as well.

You had a limited amount of bombs, but could pick up bonuses (i think when you shot down an airship) and your gun was gradually upgraded... starting to a **** weak 2 shooter out of the nose of your plane (you were in a kind of fighter jet) and the best highest gun was this red bunch of laser rays that would shoot straight as well as having all this sweeping tenticles that waved around the left and right sides.

The middle gun was a green laser....

Anyone remember what it was called???? bugger now i want to play it.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2007, 12:54 PM   #117
kocho
The Futuriser

Starcraft easily.

What a game... what a game.

Previous 2003 BA Ford Futura.

CKGD - Freelance Graphic Designer
kocho is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2007, 01:01 PM   #118
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Thanx for that, ill look into it
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2007, 04:40 PM   #119
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
No one has mentioned Galactix!

Haaa 100 levels of blasting away alien invaders... loved it....

Hmm there was another game, bugger what was it called???? was a popular arcade game at the time as well. You flew over a battle field, both land and water shooting at planes, airships and ground tanks as well.

You had a limited amount of bombs, but could pick up bonuses (i think when you shot down an airship) and your gun was gradually upgraded... starting to a **** weak 2 shooter out of the nose of your plane (you were in a kind of fighter jet) and the best highest gun was this red bunch of laser rays that would shoot straight as well as having all this sweeping tenticles that waved around the left and right sides.

The middle gun was a green laser....

Anyone remember what it was called???? bugger now i want to play it.
Hmmm...classically, sounds like "Raiden" or "Raiden II", but there is no green upgrade on that.

Also Dawn Raider.

Also games like Raptor.
Old 05-03-2007, 12:54 AM   #120
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
Originally Posted by kocho
Starcraft easily.

What a game... what a game.
Starcraft. Easily the best game in its genre. Ever.
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post