Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 01-03-2007, 08:10 PM   #31
xdc351
X-Series Club Moderator

"The incovienent truth", brilliant work of fiction it was, won an award for the same reason Micheal Moore won the Palme d'Or at the Cannes Film festival for "Fahrenhiet 9/11". To quote Cannes’s Official Jury, which had Quentin Tarantino as its president "We want you to know that the politics of your film had nothing to do with this award — you were given the award because you made a great film."

Same deal here. Gore is making a killing and the entire film has been already been largely if not completely discredited... so why would he care how much energy he uses?

Here's a great read on atmospheric CO2 and its effect on 'global warming', that doesn't rule out the possibility that humans ARE changing the climate to make the globe hotter... but why CO2 isn't the cause: http://www.junkscience.com/Greenhouse/

Hope I haven't been to political here, but the whole climate change debate and the people who claim it as fact with little or no regard for their own actions is getting on my nerves!
xdc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2007, 08:14 PM   #32
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

atmopsheric c02 is a joke, and is trundled out for carbon offset policies for convenience. The worst and largest greenhouse product produced is water vapour.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2007, 08:20 PM   #33
Walkinshaw
Two > One

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
atmopsheric c02 is a joke, and is trundled out for carbon offset policies for convenience. The worst and largest greenhouse product produced is water vapour.
Methane is of greater concern as well.

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2007, 08:39 PM   #34
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Who cares? So it won an oscar. So did Bowling For Columbine.

As if you can trust a "documentary" with such biased political support.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2007, 08:41 PM   #35
Bill_R
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdc351
http://www.junkscience.com/Greenhouse/

Hope I haven't been to political here, but the whole climate change debate and the people who claim it as fact with little or no regard for their own actions is getting on my nerves!
Ditto. And it totally irrates me when you haven't jumped on the current bandwagon but instead studied this some 25 years ago then get lectures from "greenies" (an American btw) who talk and talk about catastrophe but do nothing themselves because "I don't have kids".
Pet peeve over.
Bill_R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2007, 08:42 PM   #36
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.9 EF Futura
Dude Al Gore is ON the left!!!
Al Gore on the left?
*cough*
if he is on the left Id hate to see the right :P
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2007, 09:11 PM   #37
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer1
What a load of crap!! His house may use twice as much power than the average American home, but thats because its about 3x larger than the average American home!! Its like saying a Falcon should be using the same amount of fuel as a Yaris! Typical lefty smear campaign IMO!!

Did you even read it? He used 20 times the electricity of an average American home
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2007, 09:26 PM   #38
anto
Za Dom spremni

among other things, he has a heated pool, electric gates and gas lamps lining his driveway... things he doesnt "need". If youre going to talk the talk, walk the walk ! Hypocrite
AU III XR8 red ute
anto is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2007, 09:34 PM   #39
ltd
Force Fed Fords

The sequel is going to be called "$$$$$$$$$ A very convenient oversight $$$$$$$$$$".
When Al Gore and the green morons of this world explain to me how global warming (in 1986 it was global cooling they were worried about) is made by us when in fact Mars is experiencing it at a much higher rate than us, then I will believe it. It is all poppycock; atmospheric temperatures are lower than normal and the arctic is breaking in parts due to pressure from more ice, (heat causes ice to melt not break). Antarctica is having more snow and lower temperatures than normal, the changing sun ie solar flares etc has and always will cause changing environments. 1200 years ago, the chinese circum-navigated the arctic circle and saw no ice at all, the vikings also settled Greenland; aptly named for its green foliage that encouraged them to farm there - now it is under 30 feet of ice.
Point I'm trying to raise;it's all cyclical, it will go back to normal and the chicken littles of this world will be put back in the shed once again.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2007, 10:24 PM   #40
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
Number 1...it's human nature to be corrupted by money
Number 2...I would be happy with a single storey house in my current suburb of Glen Waverley. I'd prefer to grow my wealth. I have no interest in being a celebrity or receiving any attention. I don't want to live in a fishbowl.
Why do numbers 1 and 2 seem to contradict what you're saying there..
Van D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2007, 11:16 PM   #41
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
"The incovienent truth", brilliant work of fiction it was, won an award for the same reason Micheal Moore won the Palme d'Or at the Cannes Film festival for "Fahrenhiet 9/11". To quote Cannes’s Official Jury, which had Quentin Tarantino as its president "We want you to know that the politics of your film had nothing to do with this award — you were given the award because you made a great film."

Same deal here. Gore is making a killing and the entire film has been already been largely if not completely discredited... so why would he care how much energy he uses?

Here's a great read on atmospheric CO2 and its effect on 'global warming', that doesn't rule out the possibility that humans ARE changing the climate to make the globe hotter... but why CO2 isn't the cause: http://www.junkscience.com/Greenhouse/

Agreed.

As for money corrupting, a wise man once said this "For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil."

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2007, 11:37 PM   #42
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkscience.com
Disclosure for the Free Enterprise Action Fund: The Free Enterprise Action Fund is a mutual fund. An investor should consider the fund’s investment objectives, risks, and charges and expenses carefully before investing or sending money. This and other important information about the Free Enterprise Action Fund can be found in the Fund’s prospectus. To obtain a prospectus, please call 1-800-766-3960 or visit www.FreeEnterpriseActionFund.com. Please read the prospectus carefully before investing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourcewatch.org
The Free Enterprise Action Fund is a mutual fund set up by Steven Milloy - a climate skeptic and a paid advocate for Phillip Morris, ExxonMobil and other corporations. The Fund aims to counter the trend by corporations to embrace corporate social responsibility and campaigns by activist groups seeking to shift corporate social and environmental policy.

On its website it states that the group aimed "to keep businesses focused on business rather than activist-defined CSR, the Fund aims to promote more generally our system of free enterprise. The Fund will direct advocacy and education efforts at corporate managements, institutional shareholders, the media and the public."
Ironically junkscience.com is just that.
Old 02-03-2007, 12:24 AM   #43
PHATXR8
PHATXR8

Quote:

There hasn't been too much water vapour getting around most of eastern australia for the last few years...........

Have you ever heard of the term "global dimming"? Google it and see what you think.
PHATXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2007, 11:30 AM   #44
gozza

Its all renewable energy...He has no carbon emissions.....He buys power from a local renewable source...green energy
gozza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2007, 11:42 AM   #45
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugget378
Al Gore on the left?
*cough*
if he is on the left Id hate to see the right :P
Some dim witted Texan guy who is tearing around the middle east stirring up the holy land
Old 02-03-2007, 01:48 PM   #46
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHATXR8
There hasn't been too much water vapour getting around most of eastern australia for the last few years...........

Have you ever heard of the term "global dimming"? Google it and see what you think.
Rain and Water vapour are two different animals. You can have extreme humidity and zero precipitation. When condensation doesnt occur to the point of forming drops heavy enough to fall, you dont get rain.

Uncle Bastards Realistic Approach to Global Hysteria & occasional Warm Fronts

My viewpoint on Global Warming is this. There isnt enough evidence to support ANY theory I've seen, YET, for or against. And we have all seen many. Any fool who wants to point at our current drought and scream "Global Warming!!! Its HERE! Run!"... feel free. Its a drought just like the last drought, the only difference is now we have a higher population sucking down water then last time.

Hottest year in a 100 years? So what. What about 500 years before that? Oh thats right... noone knows. You cant show a trend for weather change based on our 45 seconds of recorded history.

Global Dimming? I dont think so. Global Dumbing on the other hand, there is a definite increase.

Now heres another few inconvenient facts Al Gore can add to his slide show.

We are currently still in an Ice Age. Thats right space cadets. Consider that the reason Antartica has so much oil under it is due to the fact it used to be a Rain Forest. Just because it was covered in ice when we found it, doesnt mean its meant to stay that way forever. It clearly ISNT. The Ice will continue to retreat. Those who say its accelerating(and panic as a result), well thats nice. The fact its accelerating now doesnt necessarily mean its caused by global warming, its equally likely its been slow in the past due to a cool period(A blip) in the Earths climate.

Second, the Earth has seen eras in its history where there was FAR more pollution then we see today. During the end of the Cretacious period Volcanic Activity was polluting the atmosphere at a rate far in excess of what we could achieve by ourselves. Did the dinosaurs drown? no. Did they starve? No... Did they all get asthma? No. It took a bloody COMET to finish the deal.

Even today Volcanic activity releases more pollutants then industry can.

This being said, I am not a roving industrialist. I believe in planting trees(I love breathing, and Im fond of shade) and I think Industry can do alot to clean up its act, but they need to do it because they should be resonsible for their own mess, much like my 8 year old is. Not because of a hysterical mob using global warming as a punishment stick to beat them into submission.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2007, 04:04 PM   #47
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:
Rain and Water vapour are two different animals. You can have extreme humidity and zero precipitation. When condensation doesnt occur to the point of forming drops heavy enough to fall, you dont get rain.

Uncle Bastards Realistic Approach to Global Hysteria & occasional Warm Fronts

My viewpoint on Global Warming is this. There isnt enough evidence to support ANY theory I've seen, YET, for or against. And we have all seen many. Any fool who wants to point at our current drought and scream "Global Warming!!! Its HERE! Run!"... feel free. Its a drought just like the last drought, the only difference is now we have a higher population sucking down water then last time.

Hottest year in a 100 years? So what. What about 500 years before that? Oh thats right... noone knows. You cant show a trend for weather change based on our 45 seconds of recorded history.

Global Dimming? I dont think so. Global Dumbing on the other hand, there is a definite increase.

Now heres another few inconvenient facts Al Gore can add to his slide show.

We are currently still in an Ice Age. Thats right space cadets. Consider that the reason Antartica has so much oil under it is due to the fact it used to be a Rain Forest. Just because it was covered in ice when we found it, doesnt mean its meant to stay that way forever. It clearly ISNT. The Ice will continue to retreat. Those who say its accelerating(and panic as a result), well thats nice. The fact its accelerating now doesnt necessarily mean its caused by global warming, its equally likely its been slow in the past due to a cool period(A blip) in the Earths climate.

Second, the Earth has seen eras in its history where there was FAR more pollution then we see today. During the end of the Cretacious period Volcanic Activity was polluting the atmosphere at a rate far in excess of what we could achieve by ourselves. Did the dinosaurs drown? no. Did they starve? No... Did they all get asthma? No. It took a bloody COMET to finish the deal.

Even today Volcanic activity releases more pollutants then industry can.

This being said, I am not a roving industrialist. I believe in planting trees(I love breathing, and Im fond of shade) and I think Industry can do alot to clean up its act, but they need to do it because they should be resonsible for their own mess, much like my 8 year old is. Not because of a hysterical mob using global warming as a punishment stick to beat them into submission.
Well I'm just a simple boy, but I agree with much of what you have posted Uncle Bastard. Linking climate change/global warming to weather pattern in recent history is nonsence. And the fact that weather has changed throughout history is normal, that's what weather does.

I have not seen Mr Gores film so I can not comment on that.

There is lots of "stuff" in the news and on the net that would have you believe there is some big debate about climate change/gobal warming going on in the scientific world. That the jury is still out, and there are well supported theories on both sides.

So where do people from non scientific backgrounds go to get information?

http://www.ipcc.ch/index.html

http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/conten.../306/5702/1686

http://www.realclimate.org/index.php?p=109

http://www.publish.csiro.au/nid/18/pid/388.htm

http://www.noc.soton.ac.uk/rapid/sci/papers.php

http://www.theage.com.au/news/busine...338709034.html

As I said I'm just a simple boy but the ipcc would seem to have the most experts and "science" behind them. Their latest report was released a few weeks ago and they believe the earth is heating up due to human activities.
Old 06-03-2007, 03:22 PM   #48
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

It's reached the Science Blog of the Sydney Morning Herald website now;

Whose inconvenient truth?

Here's a meat of the story;

If you happened to miss the news about Gore last week (or if you happened to miss the point in the above paragraphs go straight back to the top of the story, this time wearing your irony goggles), here is a brief recap.

The 27-year-old self-styled president of the "Tennessee Center for Policy Research", Drew Johnson, revealed that Al Gore lives in a jolly large house in Nashville that, by his calculations, uses 20 more times electricity than the average US home.

(In fact, in a curious phrase that probably says more about himself than his target, Johnson says Gore lives in the "posh Belle Meade area of Nashville". Where did he expect to find the former Vice President living. In a trailer park?)

Predictably, this "revelation" unleashed a feeding frenzy from right-wing commentators around the globe who could scarcely contain their glee that Gore had been "caught out".

Those are the bare bones, however, you could be forgiven for missing some of the other details of this story, distracted perhaps by the rattling jowls of Rush Limbaugh and others.

Details like the fact Johnson used to work for the American Enterprise Institute, which has received large amounts of cash from oil giant ExxonMobil and which last month was reportedly offering money to scientists willing to debunk climate change.

Johnson also failed to mention that Gore's house also serves as an office for Gore, his wife and their staff, as well as providing accommodation for the secret service detail allocated all former VPs.

Oh, and he failed to mention that Gore buys "green" power from renewable sources via a scheme called Green Power Switch.
Old 06-03-2007, 03:28 PM   #49
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:
Some dim witted Texan guy who is tearing around the middle east stirring up the holy land
Yes yes,but that only makes him left of dubya and corp(only just),still cant really call it left though..
Same as the labour party really..
Old 06-03-2007, 03:35 PM   #50
gozza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor
Oh, and he failed to mention that Gore buys "green" power from renewable sources via a scheme called Green Power Switch.[/I][/COLOR]
what i said
gozza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2007, 03:43 PM   #51
4.9 EF Futura

Quote:
Yes yes,but that only makes him left of dubya and corp(only just),still cant really call it left though..
Same as the labour party really..
Well Americans arent areally known for their sense of egalatarianism. But even a conservative aussie govt will feed and house someone who loses their job, pay for someone's hospital bills and even mandate a minimum wage that will get you through.

Raptor, had to laugh when i read "Those are the bare bones" in that excerpt!! Lol, if that summary was the "bare bones" then i would hate to see what the editorial opinion reads like. Oh wait, forgot to read the following 3 paragraphs
Old 06-03-2007, 03:49 PM   #52
nugget378
Weezland

Quote:
Well Americans arent areally known for their sense of egalatarianism. But even a conservative aussie govt will feed and house someone who loses their job, pay for someone's hospital bills and even mandate a minimum wage that will get you through.
Only for as long as they think they need to,the moment they think they can get away with scrapping the lot they will.
What will "get you through" I suspect would be different if the ones deciding what is enough to get you through,had to do the "get throughing" ;)
Old 06-03-2007, 03:59 PM   #53
4.9 EF Futura

Quote:
Only for as long as they think they need to,the moment they think they can get away with scrapping the lot they will.
What will "get you through" I suspect would be different if the ones deciding what is enough to get you through,had to do the "get throughing" ;)
Lol, dont want to "go there". I think you get the point im making.
Old 06-03-2007, 04:03 PM   #54
DivHunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

SO how many paper milling companies also sell carbon credits you reckon?
Speed cameras have changed the things we pay attention to and the things we regard as important. Instead of focusing on the dangers ahead, motorists feel that they have been relieved of responsibility for managing their own driving, and have ceded it instead to the mechanical intervention of the camera and other traffic signals.
DivHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2007, 04:21 PM   #55
M14A-Mclaren
Foo Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor
It's reached the Science Blog of the Sydney Morning Herald website now;

Whose inconvenient truth?

*Snip*
I knew there would be more to the story, there always is. Mainstream media fails terribly at reporting news fairly and correctly.
M14A-Mclaren is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2007, 07:08 PM   #56
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14A-Mclaren
I knew there would be more to the story, there always is. Mainstream media fails terribly at reporting news fairly and correctly.
Al Gore's the hypocrite ?

These guys need to stop using oxygen.....
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2007, 08:41 PM   #57
bf tubs

you all made good points ,,for and against but i think the most important thing is the message ................

dont take what you have for granted
 bf tubs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post