Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 27-07-2006, 12:08 AM   #31
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

I dont think people would mind so much if they could see the money the camera's raised was going back into the roads, and its safety. Whether it be continuous road upgrades, driver training, maintenance on the roads or whatever, people would actually understand. But sadly from what Ive seen, there has been very little evidence of that actually happening to help the public. It seems as if the money is helping to line the pollies pockets rather than the cash benefitting the people. Greed and lack of common sense have sadly taken over this world.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2006, 12:11 AM   #32
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sad but true!

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2006, 12:39 AM   #33
STK-XR8

wow so i see this is a hot topic .
i have to agree with most of you that with the money the gov gets from fines (revenue) l would like to see where it goes ,

but to quote what mo said

Or just resort to anarchy and trash the car and beat the crap out of the operator....whats the worst they can do to you...shoot you and they won't do that!!!!!!!!

in all honesty you would be prepared to trash a camera car and beat an operator who is doing a job over a speeding ticket..

about the tolerance's im sure they would take it into account towards the vechiles actual speed and the detected speed ,l remember when i got my fine it had two speeds on it detected speed and actual speed , mind you that was a while ago cant keep on paying fines when theres too many projects in the garage..

l think if everyone just stuck to or below the speed limit then there would be no hassles and everyone would be happy.
STK-XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2006, 12:47 AM   #34
GRNKPR
DPC PERFORMANCE Race prep

get of the crack pipe ,your over doing it

there are too many cameras on our roads and its a money making exercise,lets put camera s in all our homes like big brother and fine people if the sleep too much or watch too much tv

FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria

Ford Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car Club
GRNKPR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2006, 02:15 AM   #35
ED Classic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRNKPR
there are too many cameras on our roads and its a money making exercise,lets put camera s in all our homes like big brother and fine people if the sleep too much or watch too much tv
Well the next step will be restrictions in Citys and if you go within a certain radius you will have to pay tolls and there will be cameras to scrutinize this so there will be more revenue. Whats a free country? Whats a democracy?

If you choose to be a camera operator you should expect some abuse. I always give them the horn, or high beam if its night time and flash oncomming cars in protest of them booking for less than 10% tolerance. I can expect them to flash someone doing 100kmh in a 60kmh zone but not get people for 65kmh in a 60kmh zone. Thats not speeding and no proffesor on TV whos being payed to make a commercial will ever convince me that it is. If you have to draw the line somewhere make it 10 or 15%.
ED Classic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2006, 02:32 AM   #36
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

Speed camera operators are just doing a job like everyone else.
I'm actually on there files as a speed camera operator, Did it about 6 years ago.
Old 27-07-2006, 11:31 AM   #37
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

yeah unfortunatley they either cant get another job or they...lol...like it.

Who here has been soooo tempted to park infront of one? Can you get in trouble for that because they are normally parked outside peoples houses etc so anyone should be able to park.

Or even better, cutting the camera cord would be funny too.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2006, 11:47 AM   #38
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickHolden
Speed camera operators are just doing a job like everyone else.
I'm actually on there files as a speed camera operator, Did it about 6 years ago.
LETS GET HIM!!! ing_sm : :

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 27-07-2006, 12:03 PM   #39
'63Deluxe
Irregular Member

Do you speed as much as you used to before cameras were around?
'63Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2006, 12:07 PM   #40
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by '63Deluxe
Do you speed as much as you used to before cameras were around?
Im about the same as I was even before the camera's. Im just more diligent to look out for suspect vehicles behind bushes and on the sides of roads. Im not saying Im reckless, but I am more careful. But when I do see a camera, i just stay about 5-10kph under the limit to be safe, then speed back up to what I was on originally. it:

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 27-07-2006, 01:26 PM   #41
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
Im about the same as I was even before the camera's. Im just more diligent to look out for suspect vehicles behind bushes and on the sides of roads. Im not saying Im reckless, but I am more careful. But when I do see a camera, i just stay about 5-10kph under the limit to be safe, then speed back up to what I was on originally. it:
Thats the problem with speed cameras. Drivers see them and then slow down. The car behind has to then brake, the one behind that brakes harder, then all of a sudden there's congestion, or worse still someones been rear ended.

If drivers are on the speed limit, just stay at that speed, and they wont get fined. Its worked for me so far.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2006, 02:56 PM   #42
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia
Thats the problem with speed cameras. Drivers see them and then slow down. The car behind has to then brake, the one behind that brakes harder, then all of a sudden there's congestion, or worse still someones been rear ended.

If drivers are on the speed limit, just stay at that speed, and they wont get fined. Its worked for me so far.
Yep, often people just instinctively brake before checking their speed. If you were to be doing the limit then yes, you would have nothing to worry about. For most its an instant reaction.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 27-07-2006, 06:28 PM   #43
red_hotxr6
Banned

If you speed and get caught, wear it. If like some people argue it is 3-5klms over then write to an offical and give whatever excuse you feel is plausible, then see what happens.If you are incensed to the point that you have not seen justice done go to court.Settle it there.For god,s sake for all you know you can prove that your speedo is out.
red_hotxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2006, 06:53 PM   #44
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_hotxr6
For god,s sake for all you know you can prove that your speedo is out.
I usually dont get into these discussions but you can get your speedo calibrated a hundred times and it can still be out. Its the result of the ADR 10% tolerance rules. 100 in the speedo = actual speed of 90 or 110 even if you had just walked out of the calibration shop.

Thats what I dont like about these +/- 3km laws. It doesnt comply with what the cars are built to.

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2006, 07:00 PM   #45
red_hotxr6
Banned

Isn,t this why the police have a tolerance level on how fast you get a fine for.I personally thought it was 5-7klms over up here in qld.?
red_hotxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2006, 07:06 PM   #46
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

I've had mates get pinged for +4km in Melbourne.

However, I believe that in 2008 or so... there will be a new regulation where the Speedo cannot show a speed less than what the car is actually travelling at. But until ALL cars comply to this regulation, they shouldnt be doing this +/-3km poo.

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
Old 27-07-2006, 08:09 PM   #47
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
yeah unfortunatley they either cant get another job or they...lol...like it.

Who here has been soooo tempted to park infront of one? Can you get in trouble for that because they are normally parked outside peoples houses etc so anyone should be able to park.

Or even better, cutting the camera cord would be funny too.
You could do that but and then they would move, And then you move in-front of them and they would move and on and on,
Quote:
: :eclipsee_ I'm human i haven't worked a day in one
Whoever has got my area is happy with it:P But after it went private the police themselves have started to do speed cameras more.
Old 27-07-2006, 08:42 PM   #48
'68 CortyMan
Starter Motor

but the guys on the side of the road arent actually getting all their money from these revenue raisers - people working for the water corp got a small percentage of their money from this when it wasnt privately owned. My argument is that once accusing these people of living from money raised through these cameras and the fines that go with them, why not say that all hospitals are evil too... after all they get some of their money from the government who get some of theirs through speeding fines. Theres no difference, yet one is seen as a bastard and one is seen as a place wheres lives are saved.

But dont get me wrong, i dislike the use of speed cameras for revenue purposes as much as the bloke next to me, but i mean there are A LOT of mechanics that screw people over to make a living as well, and then again there are some of them who are genuinly good guys. What about vets? or loansharks? or banks? These businesses screw people over more than anyone, so if your going to abuse a guy standing on the street behind a camera, then realistically you should be abusing all of the above plus many more.

The SS thing is funny. But then again theydve been killed themselves if they didnt do there job.

Final point - EVERYONES a ******** until they can personally prove themselves otherwise, but even dickheads have to make money.
'68 CortyMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2006, 08:53 PM   #49
T_Terror
The Guy You Love To Hate

Quote:

LOL haha good call
T_Terror is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2006, 09:27 PM   #50
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pertuan
However, I believe that in 2008 or so... there will be a new regulation where the Speedo cannot show a speed less than what the car is actually travelling at. But until ALL cars comply to this regulation, they shouldnt be doing this +/-3km poo.
Can't see how this can be managed. Must be only for new cars leaving the showroom.

Changing tyres, wheels, diff ratios etc all have an effect on the speedo calibration.

Perhaps cars should have speedos controlled by GPS systems. The technology is there.

But then it still relies on the driver watching his speedo as often as the road. Cant see the sense in this. Surely the drivers eyes should be as much as possible on the road. Glancing at the speedo constantly, takes the drivers eyes off the road momentarily, maybe just when a pedestrian or another car suddenly appears.
Old 27-07-2006, 09:39 PM   #51
PHATXR8
PHATXR8

As far as I can see there is nothing wrong with verbally abusing speed camera operators, parking inspectors, highway patrol cops, or any other revenue-raising parasites. If they don't like it they can always get another job, just like anyone else who doesn't like their job or the customers they deal with!!!
PHATXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2006, 10:25 PM   #52
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

Quote:
Can't see how this can be managed. Must be only for new cars leaving the showroom.
That is correct. Not really sure of the actual regulations and when it is supposed to come in. But thats the general "jist" of the reg.

Quote:
But then it still relies on the driver watching his speedo as often as the road. Cant see the sense in this. Surely the drivers eyes should be as much as possible on the road. Glancing at the speedo constantly, takes the drivers eyes off the road momentarily, maybe just when a pedestrian or another car suddenly appears.
If they brought in GPS speedos, I think we would spend less time looking at the speedo cause the readout would be digital instead of now where we look at the damn needle and work out if we're +0, +3 or +4 (fine + points).

Old 27-07-2006, 10:48 PM   #53
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Yeah.......

Falcon Coupe is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2006, 10:52 PM   #54
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Quote:
If they brought in GPS speedos, I think we would spend less time looking at the speedo cause the readout would be digital instead of now where we look at the damn needle and work out if we're +0, +3 or +4 (fine + points).
Might be OK for a car like a Falcon, but with my wifes Lancer, the responsiveness of the accelerator pedal also due to the lightness of the car, makes it very difficult to keep the car at a steady speed without constantly looking at the speedo. And there's no cruise control.
Old 27-07-2006, 10:52 PM   #55
blueoval
Critical Thinker

*in Nelsons voice* "HAA HAA"

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 27-07-2006, 11:56 PM   #56
EXECJIM

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2 CORTY
wow so i see this is a hot topic .

l think if everyone just stuck to or below the speed limit then there would be no hassles and everyone would be happy.

If every body did the right thing, they would stich us up for some thing else, and buy more camera's so the Government can maintain there "$$$ quota's for the next budget" and claim it is all for safety and the good of this country :togo:

If a driver is genuinely caught doing something stupid, throw the book at him/her! but for a few kms over the limit, it is nothing but revenue

Jim
EXECJIM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2006, 12:27 AM   #57
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Speed Cameras

Howdy McPlop!

Speed Cameras...

Look, they are a major pain in the ****, and I hate it when they nab you for going a few kmx MAX over the limit. Sometimes you lapse for a second...but for those who go 10km over and complain...grow up. Rules are rules. Over the years, due to the intervention of snakey lawyers and retarded judges, people are now rewarded for irresponsibility and when they do get legitimately nabbed, they whinge like kids with **** filled pants.

Of course they are revenue raisers! BUT they are there to punish the idiots who disregard other drivers, including those with infants and children and do their own thing, endangering others!

But I agree..PITA when they catch you doing 2km over the limit while 100 metres past the area, some idiot tears down the road 20km over the limit and nothing happens.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2006, 01:37 AM   #58
GRNKPR
DPC PERFORMANCE Race prep

Question

[QUOTE=EXECJIM]If every body did the right thing, they would stich us up for some thing else, and buy more camera's so the Government can maintain there "$$$ quota's for the next budget" and claim it is all for safety and the good of this country :togo:

if everybody did the right thing we wouldnt have jails and what would the police and prison warders do??????????????????????????????????

FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria

Ford Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car Club
GRNKPR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2006, 01:40 AM   #59
Dezza
Parts bin special

Quote:
It's still easy enough to creep over with a digital speedo. I know this for a fact, because my car has one. Numerous times, I've taken a glance at the speedo, and seen it at 103 / 104 (in a 100 zone) etc. It's very easy to do.

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post