Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 27-06-2005, 10:00 PM   #31
shane3
FPV GT 0915

I wish that some one would have told me to my face what my first wife was doing behind my back, then to let me stand around scratching my head going "W.T.F.". It would have been easer to handle then finding out how I did.
It's good to see that you have told the people that are closest to him so now they have no disillusions on what is going on and how bad things are.
, I grew up with a really great dad (divorced), but my mother is a severe alcoholic and gets aggressive when she drinks, the amount of times that I would have to lock and wedge my door closed as a kid was stupid!, and my sister has grown into a 3 time a day dope smoker and has tried other things, as well as having 2 young children 11 and 8 and a boyfriend that is into other stuff. The only time that I could see a change in any of them is if they were to die.
My mother has been in and out of rehab for over 30 years, she has a period of 3 to 5 months of being stone sober then it's back to the bottle, and at one stage she was drinking nail polish remover as they weren't allowed out for 2 weeks straight, I'm still waiting for her to hit rock bottom but I can't see that happening as she will probably die with a bottle in her hand, as for my sister who knows.
Bluprint BA GT 2004 Model - Mods: Tinted Windows, Premium Sound, BBS Mags, 245/35R19 fronts, 285/30R19 rears, BMC POD Filter, SS cold air induction, HM tri-y headers, Redback cat back system, Herrod power snorkle, moded Herrod helix spacer, 4" ram air induction, More to come..
shane3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2005, 12:12 AM   #32
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

more often than not, the help we offer as friends and family is simply shrugged off by those that are addicted, simply because they are in denial of their addicition and problems and hold a view that we are against them rather than supporting them (its easier for them to hold this view).

There is no simple solution to this now and i would be surprised if even his close family will get through to him.

Your best bet would be to get an outsider, ie some sort of therapist, involved, because it's more likely that he'll listen and benefit from their support.

The most important (but hardest) thing is for him to realise and acknowledge that he has a problem and needs to fix it, if he can see this, he has a chance beating the evil that has consumed him.

I wish you all the best and i hope your friend in need can get through this.
JPFS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2005, 02:31 AM   #33
GRNKPR
DPC PERFORMANCE Race prep

i have mates that smoke and they always it dosent affect them but what s me is the phone calls at 2am asking questions and they think thats normal
also my cousin was down from queensland last week he had a couple of e s and rang for me to pick him up after a night out with friends you know where i had to pick him up from a park he was hiding under a table because he thought he was being followed i am not a prude but drugs can f##k you up and he should do it not him but for his kids you as afriend can only do so much as in the end it s up to him
GRNKPR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2005, 05:39 PM   #34
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Yeah drugs are becoming a problem.
I'm no prude either; I enjoyed taking a variety of drugs socially in my youth. But if I had my time over again, I’d refuse them all.

Last night my wife got a phone call from her mum, her step son (from a late re-marriage) was found dead in a hostel Monday morning. He had been suffering from severe depression, addicted to alcohol, weed, speed & whatever. His marriage broke down 18 months ago and he leaves three teenage kids behind.
This has left us both shocked, and I have officially reached the stage of stress headache worrying & thinking about my mate.

I spoke to his sister today and things have become slightly worse. Time is running out, tonight all the family are getting together so that everyone knows the situation, I’ve said, when they have finished the family discussion they can call me & I’ll share all I know.

Sunday night he told me he had to have a smoke of ICE to clear his head & keep him calm (self medicating) before his court hearing on Monday for breaking his restraining order on Saturday. Today one of his workers phoned around trying to find him, his sister found him asleep at home.

For everyone; if you enjoy using drugs, be very careful. Don’t get caught in the trap of using them everyday.
My mate, that is having the problem, has smoked dope socially since he was 15, at about 22 it became a regular habit. I started smoking socially at 17 and kept it that way until I stopped at about 26 and probably have had two tokes in the last ten years.
I know three people with drug induced Bipolar http://www.bipolar.com/ they will have to take medication for the rest of their life.
:
johnydep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2005, 06:19 PM   #35
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnydep
Thanks guys.

Told him about the blood test, thought it might wake him up, he reckons he'll detox himself before the test plus ICE doesn't show up in tests. I told him & explained to him that that is bull.

I've got young kids, and my blood boils when I think about what the kids must see & here, especially since the parents relationship has become abusive.
My wife reckons they should both loose their rights as parents. I understand fully.

I've known this guy for 23 years, through thick & thin, the only thing I am concerned about telling his family is him loosing trust in me & me not being able to try & help because of the break up of our friendship. If I'm not there, his only help is his dealer.

His mum broke down on my shoulders tonight. His dad came close to it. His sister is in denial. His brother has an idea, I might speak to him about it.
my concern here is that he or his wife have fried thier brians and your an onlooker , yeah you might feel giulty about telling his family and it might cost you your friendship, and you are a good friend but unfortunatel he is not a good friend to you, you've mentioned that he may be suicidle , HOW WILL YOU FEEL IF YOU KEEP A DIRTY SECRET AND HE OR HIS WIFE KILL THE WHOLE FAMILY AND THE KIDS. YOU ARE IN AN UNFORTUNATE SITUATION THAT MAY NOT RESOLVE , SO BE IT BUT DO THE RIGHT THING , YOUR FRIEND AND HIS WIFE AREN'T. AND I HAVE JUST READ ON ARENT YOU GLAD YOU TOLD THEM GOOD ON YA DUDE WELL DONE!!!!!!!!! :
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2005, 07:00 PM   #36
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Mate, sounds like you're wedged between a rock and a hard place. I am loathed to offer advice tho as only you know your mate and the interaction between him, yourself and the family.

Its good to see you've been able to share with his siblings. Getting off your chest (be it to people involved or impartial associates like those found on the forums) is important.

Excuse my ignorance but what is ice? I am familiar with methamphetamines (unfortunately all too familiar :() but have never heard of this term... is it like crystal meth?

Anyways hang in there buddy. Keep fighting the good fight, hope your mate comes to see you're acting in the capacity of a true friend.
Old 28-06-2005, 07:09 PM   #37
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.9 EF Futura
Excuse my ignorance but what is ice? I am familiar with methamphetamines (unfortunately all too familiar ) but have never heard of this term... is it like crystal meth?

Anyways hang in there buddy. Keep fighting the good fight, hope your mate comes to see you're acting in the capacity of a true friend

ICE is the purest type of speed available, it looks like a large crystal. A special pipe (crack pipe) is used to smoke it, it's ouderless & gives an instant rush, the effects can last fro 8 to 15 hours. It is bloody expensive.
http://www.nida.nih.gov/Infofacts/methamphetamine.html

A while back, he had a birthday party & only his closest group were invited, he and a couple tried really hard to get me to have a smoke of it (this was the first time I had seen or heard of it). At the time I was happy on my Mescal (tequila) and so had a good debate about why I don't need it as I was in a perfect level, I almost gave in but in the end stuck to my guns.

Last edited by johnydep; 28-06-2005 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Clicked on edit instead of quote, all fixed.
Old 28-06-2005, 08:12 PM   #38
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnydep
. ............
A while back, he had a birthday party & only his closest group were invited, he and a couple tried really hard to get me to have a smoke of it (this was the first time I had seen or heard of it). At the time I was happy on my Mescal (tequila) and so had a good debate about why I don't need it as I was in a perfect level, I almost gave in but in the end stuck to my guns.
This is wrong, thought I had to fix this up in fairness to my mate.

He did not try hard to get me to try the stuff, the couple were the ones trying to push it onto me, my mate just explained what it was like during & after using, he told the other two to back off.