Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 15-02-2012, 08:04 PM   #31
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Default Re: Aussie Made Valiants

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67
i realise that wikipedia is not always correct

i never claimed that 6 cyl valiants were not hemi's, just suggesting what i was led to believe. i also posted a link which backed up my theory. having said that, a couple of people here have agreed, so maybe it is right

i would never suggest that wikipedia is 100% correct at all. there are too many people out there in internet forum land that are either just trying to cause trouble or fishing for bites

Good lot of double dutch. Posting up something to back claims up, yet not believing the site yourself. Makes alot of sense, as shown by your posting.

Yep, I bit, but your posting rubbish up, as shown. You're an internet expert.

am I causing trouble???? Nope, just posting up truths

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2012, 08:34 PM   #32
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter
Good lot of double dutch. Posting up something to back claims up, yet not believing the site yourself. Makes alot of sense, as shown by your posting.

Yep, I bit, but your posting rubbish up, as shown. You're an internet expert.

am I causing trouble???? Nope, just posting up truths
once again, i agree with you entirely

thanx for the heads up - you may have saved my life

however, i won't read up because that wouldn't be fair to you. it would just be one more thing . . .
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2012, 08:56 PM   #33
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hemi 6 is what the motor is called, what can anyone call it, who know it is called the Valiant Hemi 6 as it's never been called anything other than that. 215 hemi 245 hemi 265 hemi. no 440 in aus.
Only the 245 hemi went in to trucks.

The 225 slant 6 is the colour red up to 1966. Blue from 1967 and me thinks the Dodge Truck's colour was a light gold colour.
Slant 6 were in the first of the VG Valiant for the first month then the 245 Hemi.
The aussie type South African Valiants were CKD kits from aus. SA built them.
In Aus we never cast the slant 6 block it was imported and built hear the same would be so in SA i think. no Hemi 6 went in the SA valiants.
We exported fully built Valiants to the UK.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2012, 09:34 PM   #34
GT-E

The "Hemi" 245 was also the basis for the 4lt 6cyl that was in a lot of Jeeps.
Great to see a motor last nearly 40 years. The RT charge with the 6 pack webbers was a sound on to its own. I still remember it screaming up to 5,000rpm.
Old 15-02-2012, 10:46 PM   #35
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
This coming from someone that claims what they post from wikipedia is 100% correct.

Just don't tell diehard Valiant fans wikipedia is 100% correct. You might have get a big shock how much bullldust is actually written about the Valiant on that site.

BTW, Fireballs were a marketing ploy with the 318's fitted to VG and VH Valiants. After those 2 models, the branding "fireball" ceased to exist.
He's right though, it was never a true hemisperical design, but was very loosely hemi-ish if you had bad eyesite and were squinting from a distance

But anyone who calls it a Hemi is right, its what the factory called it no matter how much it stretched the thruth. Despite that it was a ripper engine.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2012, 01:52 AM   #36
KRL-94

Quote:
i am pretty sure holden have sold cars in this country with chev badges
they do sell the badges with a holden part number as well

if you don't like facts, don't read and remain blissfully unaware

and by the way, i haven't put down valiants - just those with selective criteria for a fail
sorry to correct you, but neither HSVor Holden actually sell a vehicle known as a Chev. yes, some vehicles might run a chev driveline, but if i put a toyota driveline in a nissan, does that make it a subaru? or do i rebadge a rodeo with pajero badges?

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11447916
KRL-94 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2012, 03:53 AM   #37
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

I don't mind admitting that the best engine i ever had was the one in my old E49....

I've had GT's (6 off) a 350 and a 327 Monaro, but there was just something special about that 265 with Webbers, i loved it....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2012, 07:37 AM   #38
gtxb67

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRL-94
sorry to correct you, but neither HSVor Holden actually sell a vehicle known as a Chev. yes, some vehicles might run a chev driveline, but if i put a toyota driveline in a nissan, does that make it a subaru? or do i rebadge a rodeo with pajero badges?
no worries, if they have never put a bowtie on a commode dore, then i am happy to be corrected
however, i never said they sold them as a chev, just that they may have put a bowtie on the holden to signify the chev driveline
Old 16-02-2012, 09:10 AM   #39
TS50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by castellan
Hemi 6 is what the motor is called, what can anyone call it, who know it is called the Valiant Hemi 6 as it's never been called anything other than that. 215 hemi 245 hemi 265 hemi. no 440 in aus.
Only the 245 hemi went in to trucks.

The 225 slant 6 is the colour red up to 1966. Blue from 1967 and me thinks the Dodge Truck's colour was a light gold colour.
Slant 6 were in the first of the VG Valiant for the first month then the 245 Hemi.
The aussie type South African Valiants were CKD kits from aus. SA built them.
In Aus we never cast the slant 6 block it was imported and built hear the same would be so in SA i think. no Hemi 6 went in the SA valiants.
We exported fully built Valiants to the UK.
Be Blowed
never knew we exportd valiants to the UK
nice to learn new things

The old slant 6 was a great bit of kit in its day
Old 16-02-2012, 09:12 AM   #40
KRL-94

its the idiots who are ashamed to own a Holden, that put chev badges on them. then they call it a chev. WTF???

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
Old 16-02-2012, 10:31 AM   #41
Hulsty

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-E
The "Hemi" 245 was also the basis for the 4lt 6cyl that was in a lot of Jeeps.
Great to see a motor last nearly 40 years. The RT charge with the 6 pack webbers was a sound on to its own. I still remember it screaming up to 5,000rpm.

No it wasnt, the jeep motor is completely different, the Jeep 4.0L is an evolution of the AMC six, not Hemi 6.
Hulsty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2012, 10:32 AM   #42
Hulsty

Quote:
Originally Posted by noosacuda
At least the "Hemi" badges on the Valiants were FACTORY fitted and the engine was called a "Hemi" by Chrysler Australia,yes they were not a true hemispherical combustion chamber,but it worked well and could blow off any 253 and some 308 Holdens and 302 Fords.
And dont forget it could outrun those pesky 351 Phase 3's to 100km/h too.

I'm slowly building myself a mildly angry Hemi 265 to play with, its gonna be good!
Hulsty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2012, 09:57 PM   #43
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRL-94
I wonder, if Subaru decided not to bring the BRZ here, if some Toyota 86 owners would have put Subaru badges on them?
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2012, 10:35 PM   #44
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Remember the XF falcon ute and the Nissan XFN from 1988 to 1990 ?
DX was a std ute then the big ST tilt steering bucket seats LSD diff std 2 year warranty.

The first 195 of VG sedans were slant 6.
The first 84 VG wagons were slant 6.
The first 133 VG Dodge ute's were slant 6. and only Dodge ute not valiant.
VG Dodge ute's only got the 215 hemi as did the VH Dodge ute. the VJ Dodge got 215, 245. 265 hemi.
Old 17-02-2012, 01:01 AM   #45
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Remember the XF falcon ute and the Nissan XFN from 1988 to 1990 ?
DX was a std ute then the big ST tilt steering bucket seats LSD diff std 2 year warranty.

The first 195 of VG sedans were slant 6.
The first 84 VG wagons were slant 6.
The first 133 VG Dodge ute's were slant 6. and only Dodge ute not valiant.
VG Dodge ute's only got the 215 hemi as did the VH Dodge ute. the VJ Dodge got 215, 245. 265 hemi.

You missed the 2 VF hemi 245 powered wagons.

I think you'll find the 215's came out in the VH range, rather than the VG range.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
Old 17-02-2012, 10:35 AM   #46
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351
I don't mind admitting that the best engine i ever had was the one in my old E49....

I've had GT's (6 off) a 350 and a 327 Monaro, but there was just something special about that 265 with Webbers, i loved it....
Agreed, has a real thoroughbred feel compared to the big lumps of yank bent 8. And the torque was just huge off the bottom.
Old 17-02-2012, 01:38 PM   #47
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You missed the 2 VF hemi 245 powered wagons.

I think you'll find the 215's came out in the VH range, rather than the VG range.
The VF 245 hemi don't count as a production car anyone could order.

I think you are right with the 215 hemi in the VG.

The Dodge truck with the 245 hemi was a low comp 7.6:1 i don't know what colour the engine was.

The book is a bit all over the place.

The good old Dodge AT4 came in 1962.
The Dodge D5N came in march 1973
The D3F has a 245 hemi in oct 1974

It does not say that the AT4 got the hemi in 1970.
The 245 Hemi truck engine got HD crank and main & big end bearings with larger oil pump capacity and sump and better exhaust valves.
150 HP @ 4000 - 230 LB @ 1600

The truck 225 slant 6 got bigger capacity oil pump different main & big end bearings and lower comp 7.2:1 133 HP @ 3900 - 209 Lb @ 1600
Old 17-02-2012, 07:05 PM   #48
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
The VF 245 hemi don't count as a production car anyone could order.

I think you are right with the 215 hemi in the VG.

The Dodge truck with the 245 hemi was a low comp 7.6:1 i don't know what colour the engine was.

The book is a bit all over the place.

The good old Dodge AT4 came in 1962.
The Dodge D5N came in march 1973
The D3F has a 245 hemi in oct 1974

It does not say that the AT4 got the hemi in 1970.
The 245 Hemi truck engine got HD crank and main & big end bearings with larger oil pump capacity and sump and better exhaust valves.
150 HP @ 4000 - 230 LB @ 1600

The truck 225 slant 6 got bigger capacity oil pump different main & big end bearings and lower comp 7.2:1 133 HP @ 3900 - 209 Lb @ 1600

Which book are you getting this info from?

Old 17-02-2012, 07:16 PM   #49
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Oil

You seem to have an over abundant knowledge of this subject. Or was this knowledge gleaned during your cruising days you mattress muncher.
I did not know you were born in the 60's

Yes but atleast I do not have a Mercury badge on my Ford , just who was it again that had Chev badges on his Commode at Bathurst a couple of years ago ? I think I may evan have a photograph or two of that .
Old 17-02-2012, 09:45 PM   #50
KRL-94

i can see this thread getting very aggressive

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
Old 17-02-2012, 11:46 PM   #51
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Makes me wonder why the mod/s haven't issued warnings for going off topic..

Then again, a mod started the ball rolling on going off topic and the rest have just followed.

Old 18-02-2012, 01:24 PM   #52
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Which book are you getting this info from?
great ideas in motion.
Old 18-02-2012, 10:22 PM   #53
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

Quote:
not putting the cars or engines down at all, but if a commode dore with a chev badge is a fail, then so are hemi badges on non hemi engines - personally i have no problem with either, nor fake brake ducts on a coupe
But at the end of that logic chain any GT replica fails. They do sell Commodores with Chev badges from HG Monaro (South Africa) to modern Monaro (Pontiac).

Anyhoo, for a number of years, Chrysler delivered a product range that had no direct comparison and did it very successfully.

It is a shame we never saw a factory race prepared E55 measure up against the Brut 33 Coupe on the track.

I really don't care what you drive, if you care for it and have it looking as good as it can, from a 1968 Corolla to a Pursuit, I salute you.
nuthin' fancy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2012, 10:31 PM   #54
gtxb67

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuthin' fancy
But at the end of that logic chain any GT replica fails
i agree, they are all fails or none are - personally i don't think any are

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuthin' fancy
I really don't care what you drive, if you care for it and have it looking as good as it can, from a 1968 Corolla to a Pursuit, I salute you.
agree again
Old 21-02-2012, 11:47 AM   #55
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
This coming from someone that claims what they post from wikipedia is 100% correct.

Just don't tell diehard Valiant fans wikipedia is 100% correct. You might have get a big shock how much bullldust is actually written about the Valiant on that site.

BTW, Fireballs were a marketing ploy with the 318's fitted to VG and VH Valiants. After those 2 models, the branding "fireball" ceased to exist.

Yep...even die hard Valiant fans will admit that the 318 and the 360 are just truck engines...the only "real" car V8 that Valiant had, briefly, was the wonderful little 340 cuber. With most other cars like Falcons and Holdens, people usually ripped out the standard six cylinder and whacked in a V8...with Valiants it's the opposite...you pull out the gutless V8 and throw in a 265 hemi...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2012, 03:51 PM   #56
noosacuda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Unfortunatly the 340 fitted here was so far "de-tuned" it was asthmatic! Also we never got a 4 speed fitted to it like the New Process A833 (except for a couple of police cars that didn't exist)
noosacuda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2012, 05:41 PM   #57
GreenMachine
Mopar/No Car

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Sensational write up about drum brakes. 

Aww... I like my little Fireball. Moves my hardtop along ok!

'72 Plymouth Scamp
'80 Courier
'13 Kawasaki ZX14-R
'13 Berlina
'92 Suzuki DR650

If you don't fight - You lose
GreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2012, 07:43 PM   #58
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

318's weren't too bad. 360's were choked with an asthmatic 2 barrel carb. There is a few good modifications available to breathe life into these now.

340's weren't too common.

However, you can't beat a good ol' hemi. 245 or 265....215's weren't much chop.

Old 22-02-2012, 08:27 AM   #59
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

318s and 360s are fine. 340s had some nicer bits as standard but easy grunt is had cheaply by mixing and matching bits and pieces from this 'LA' series of engine, which includes the 273.

For instance take a 318, get a 360 crank from the wreckers for stuff all, turn its journals down to the smaller 273/318/340 size, and voila your 318 along with a .030 bore clean up is now a 355. Take the ductile iron adjustable rockers from the 273, mill them a little to reduce their weight and you have fully adjustable valve gear for a mechanical cam if you want to go wild etc. I have done this before in my youth, actually the first car I did this with was my first car, a VK 770 Charger that also ended up with disc brake 9" and manual valve body 727 etc.

The Pacer I have now was a 340, but is now 408 with stroker kit etc.

All the engines are rippers and have huge potential, event the Aussie spec 340 was a slug the likes of 350 Monaros and all GT Falcons bar HO, and all Toranas like A9X etc. were all slugs as standard. And all slower than a modern day ECO LPI FG Falcon. Don't let the fog of distance past cloud the judgement just how much of a slow dog all these cars were in stock trim. The only quick Aussie cars of the 70s were E49, E38 and PH II, PH III Ho. Everything else was sleds, Holden never made anything remotely fast in stock trim (I have all mags from era and all tests and acceleration times etc. and everything else were complete dogs in stock trim and not in a same leage as HO and Sixpack Chargers. Actually, even 245 Hemi Pacers with single carb' could blow the doors off a 350 Monaro. Best engine overall of the era however in stock trim was undoubtedly the E49 spec' sixpack, the Webers gave it huge torque and a true Euro thoroughbred sort of feel.

Last edited by mcnews; 22-02-2012 at 08:40 AM.
mcnews is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2012, 11:44 AM   #60
blownvn
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nice to see you've still got the Pacer Trev, I still remember you taking me for a drift around the roundabouts down near Kwinana back in 2001.

Some "interesting" info in this thread, good for a laugh for us Valiant tragics.

I'm actually going to be working on my Valiant VG wagon today. Getting it ready for Chryslers on the Murray.
blownvn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post