Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 21-08-2006, 11:39 PM   #1
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

Default do speed cameras check your distance

hmm i'm just wondering... i heard a while ago they were going to put in those distance cams so even if you slow down from say... 110 in 100 zone, for a camera you will get pinned ?

on the ring road and princes?

Last edited by kyro_02; 21-08-2006 at 11:51 PM.
kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2006, 09:27 AM   #2
T_Terror
The Guy You Love To Hate

Yes they activated those point-to-point speed cameras a few months ago.

thank god i dont live on the westside
T_Terror is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2006, 09:30 AM   #3
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

none of the camera's on the ring road are operational at this point, havent been for over 2 years.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2006, 09:33 AM   #4
bob^
LPS

The cameras on the Princes are regular speed camera types. Not time over distance.
But if you listen to the rumours, you would believe they are time over distance, and that cameras have been in place for ohhh the last 3 years maybe?
bob^ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2006, 09:34 AM   #5
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

yeap that cracks me up everytime.

You see some punk flying along, then slowing down for the camera's (they are on every 2nd over pass from Geelong up passed Werribe), and then speeding up once they pass them. Still going to get done.

But, the interesting thing now is that you sit right next to a few other cars the WHOLE trip from Geelong to Melbourne, know that is boring.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2006, 09:35 AM   #6
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob^
The cameras on the Princes are regular speed camera types. Not time over distance.
But if you listen to the rumours, you would believe they are time over distance, and that cameras have been in place for ohhh the last 3 years maybe?
Posted a bit late there.

Are you sure? How do you know exactly? Not something that you would want to take a chance on since you could get done 10 or so times in one trip!
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 22-08-2006, 09:42 AM   #7
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

To my knowledge they are only regular speed cameras.
Old 22-08-2006, 10:45 AM   #8
dogbreath_48
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum
To my knowledge they are only regular speed cameras.

My understanding is they the only time/ditance cameras (in vic) are used on the Hume. I was also told they're only interested in trucks.

-Stu
dogbreath_48 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2006, 11:15 AM   #9
xr8man83
Grunt Files

dont know got none of that crap up in the tropics but i am waiting for it
xr8man83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2006, 12:55 PM   #10
Gunns
Banned

The problem with point to point is that there is no legislation in place to fine motorists as there is no way of obtaining when and where the offence occoured. "Well your honner we believe he/she could have been speeding somewhere along this 20km piece of road, but we have no idea when, where and how fast the driver was going." Is not going to stand up in court.
Gunns is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2006, 01:04 PM   #11
bob^
LPS

Yep, point to point cameras are for the trucks as far as I know.
I know the ones on the Princes fwy are speed cameras as there are sensors embedded in the road, aswell as secondary sensers by the looks of it, mounted on the side of the road also.
From what I can see too, they don't have a regular flash. I think they use infrared.
bob^ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2006, 04:20 PM   #12
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

yer cause i think i might of broke the limit by 5 or 10 k's but i didn't take any notice of my speedo cause i tend to make sure i'm on the limit normally i'd look down and the traffic had stopped and i would have to emergency brake argh,was ****ed off how congested it got, on the ringroad an princes... meh .. i just wanted to be 100% there is no distance cams for cars.. cause i did slow down for every underpass with a cam or not.. but felt like car was creeping over hehe

oh well if i get a fine for 5/10/ over, i'll definately learn lol

although... every car around me was keeping up with me... either we were all doin over the limit... or not meh

Quote:
Yep, point to point cameras are for the trucks as far as I know.
what for trucks speeding? dunno how it won't work for cars.. but i don't care if trucks speed a bit cause they do go slow up the hills otherwise. same with people without cruise control how they slow down ...
Old 22-08-2006, 07:52 PM   #13
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
yeap that cracks me up everytime.

You see some punk flying along, then slowing down for the camera's (they are on every 2nd over pass from Geelong up passed Werribe), and then speeding up once they pass them. Still going to get done.

But, the interesting thing now is that you sit right next to a few other cars the WHOLE trip from Geelong to Melbourne, know that is boring.
: You're wrong, they are not time to distance. I sit on 120 and slow down for every one of the cameras and I have never had a fine in the 6 or so months the cameras have been on. They have never been claimed to be time to distance, they have always been refered to as regular cameras by the government and the media, which they are. If they are time to distance then why do they sometimes put camera cars 50 metres up the road from the fixed ones trying to get people speeding up once they pass them.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2006, 08:03 PM   #14
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

sweet, looks like i'll be right then... sounds 'bout right i've spoken to people who may sit on 105/110 and slow down for cameras and never been done... damn i hate cameras. hehe
Old 22-08-2006, 08:30 PM   #15
ED Classic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah they were going to bring them in but when allot of the current cameras were proven to be innacurate they bought a second system in and when you get snapped the seond system {Camera} has to snap you and verify the reading on the first camera. I think this created some potentialy costly headaches for the point system to become operational.
ED Classic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2006, 11:32 PM   #16
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

From the Craigieburn bypass all the way to Seymor they are working. I was driving up there one night about three weeks ago when they were getting set up.
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2006, 11:45 PM   #17
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
From the Craigieburn bypass all the way to Seymor they are working. I was driving up there one night about three weeks ago when they were getting set up.
Good to know since i'm going up that way on the weekend.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2006, 12:05 AM   #18
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
: You're wrong, they are not time to distance. I sit on 120 and slow down for every one of the cameras and I have never had a fine in the 6 or so months the cameras have been on. They have never been claimed to be time to distance, they have always been refered to as regular cameras by the government and the media, which they are. If they are time to distance then why do they sometimes put camera cars 50 metres up the road from the fixed ones trying to get people speeding up once they pass them.
I drive that freeway everyday for uni and I was just about to say the same thing. As meatloaf says, You took the words right outta my mouth.

They are NOT Distance over time Cameras.

Oh and By the way, The first set of cameras on the ringroad Altona Bound have been removed for some reason. Those cameras are a sham.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2006, 12:08 AM   #19
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

and am i right in thinking cameras that might look like they are facing you (from other side of free way bridge) will not get you... stupid i know but i'm gonna say NO :P
Old 23-08-2006, 09:53 AM   #20
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Hardly owned....imagine if you got done at 120, wouldn't be to happy.

Id rather stay on the safe side, nothing infuriates me more than speeding fines.

Now that I know, its not going to change how I drive on that freeway. I couldn't be stuff changing the cruise control...
:eclipsee_
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 23-08-2006, 12:36 PM   #21
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Before the days of speed cameras, we had "tapes", these were 2 rubber tubes laid acorss a road at specified distances apart and they recorded your speed over a distance, so the technology is not new, what is new is how it is recorded, in the "old days" a policeman sat on the side of the road reading the speed on a machine.
Old 23-08-2006, 08:15 PM   #22
jcxr
Tribal Elder

HAHAHAHA, snakes on the road in old and highly illegal jargon from yesteryear.
jcxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2006, 09:44 PM   #23
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

http://www.justice.vic.gov.au/CA2569...ions060424.pdf - RECENT update of april 2006.

found that interesting... the only place with time-over-distance is the hume HWY **Beverige, Broadford, Craigieburn, Epping, Wallan** have TIME OVER DISTANCE...

also it doesn't mention any speed cameras on the PRINCES FWY.. well atleast any that work...

from justice.vic.gov:
Quote:
NOTE: Camera sites may function at different times. As of august 2005, not all approved digital speed camera sites have been comissioned.
Old 01-09-2006, 09:57 PM   #24
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyro_02
what for trucks speeding? dunno how it won't work for cars.. but i don't care if trucks speed a bit cause they do go slow up the hills otherwise. same with people without cruise control how they slow down ...
From what I have heard, so don't take this as gospel...

Truckies are supposed to take breaks and the like every so often (5 hours?). I heard that these cameras are also to regulate truckies taking rest stops as well as speeding. I.e. They should be completing a journey between points A and B within a certain timeframe. Any sooner and they haven't taken the mandatory rest breaks.

I pass under these every day here in SA. At the start of the Sturt Highway just outside of Gawler.
Old 01-09-2006, 10:08 PM   #25
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

yeah truckies can drive for something like 10 hrs in one drive with a few breaks... my mate paid for a truck and a driver plus a jockey(2nd driver) when they shifted from victoria to qld,brisbane. And they(truckies) told 'em they may rock up a bit late due to the new 'laws' at the time; that came in making mandatory rest periods.
Old 01-09-2006, 10:29 PM   #26
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyro_02
yeah truckies can drive for something like 10 hrs in one drive with a few breaks... my mate paid for a truck and a driver plus a jockey(2nd driver) when they shifted from victoria to qld,brisbane. And they(truckies) told 'em they may rock up a bit late due to the new 'laws' at the time; that came in making mandatory rest periods.
The basics are 12hrs in 24. with a min 1/2 hr break every 5hrs. The Safe-T-Cam system looks good on paper but doesn't work in real life.