Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 10-05-2006, 06:35 PM   #31
RPO83
ĕm-bär'gō? 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by guym
Personally I believe that history will prove that the new BA falcon was a mistake. That what they should have gone after was production of smaller more fuel efficient higher quality vehicles and taken the initial slump in sales, but that would eventually get them ahead of the other local manufactures when the market for large cars declines to a point that it is not economical.
The cost of the BA to Ford would be 1/5th cheaper at least than starting over with a new compact Falcon during its mid life cycle.

And didn't history prove that GM-H was on a winner with the VB Commodore during the last 'oil crisis'.

If people wanted a compact fuel efficient car that doesn't sacrifice on space too much the C/D segment would be thriving at the moment...but strangely its not. I think the key for the next 10 years is further engine development and weight reduction later on in the Falcon's cycle.
RPO83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2006, 07:40 PM   #32
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I just checked out the link and at the bottom there a pic of the BF interior in left hand drive. Looks weird
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2006, 08:21 PM   #33
Deanodriver

I personally think that if people want a smaller car, keep the Falcon in the range, but import the Mondeo as well.

It's good to see the Americans taking a shine to our cars, and I do think it'd be a bad idea to export from here to there (lower margins than other places, like the Middle East).

I've always maintained that with a diesel engine, the Territory would be very popular in many export markets.
Old 11-05-2006, 02:17 PM   #34
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

http://forums.tccoa.com/showpost.php...1&postcount=16

Ahahahaha wicked!
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2006, 05:19 PM   #35
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
But if you take the way fuel prices are going, the big old six cylinder could be dead soon. Just take a look at the drop in sales of big cars in the last 12 months. Surely this couldn't be making promises to the government to get lots of grants, but then claim latter that due to changing world economics that we still need to drop an old out dated car that you can't give away.

Just thisnk for yourself, in the UK they are paying equivalent of $2.40/litre for petrol. If you were paying that price and not $1.40 would you still by a big six cylinder or 8 cylinder falcon. You fill one of these cars now and it cost $100, would you still want one if it cost you $180.

Maybe use your design expertise to design a slightly smaller car that runs a 2.5 or 3 ltr six, after all still will do 110 klm/h
Having a smaller engine won't gaurantee better fuel economy as it would be working much harder to pull the weight. Making the current engine as efficient as possible is the key, and that would be Fords number one priority. Ford proved with the XD if you can have a big engine in a big car with fuel economy better than a smaller car (VB Commodore) it will lead to sales. Have a look at the economy of a Fairmont Ghia 6 speed auto 6 cylinder, that compares well to some medium size cars.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2006, 03:16 PM   #36
DJL351
XR & FPV Owner

Question

Anyone else from Aust banned from their forums.... or is it just me??? :gren:

D:
2005 BF GT (6sp manual - Build #183)
2015 SZ MkII Territory Titanium
2016.75 LZ Focus Sport

Quote:
probably the stupidist post on aff - congrats
Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
There was once a time when every young man in this country was familiar with firearms and many owned them privately along with a stock of ammo and some bush gear.

Now the best we can hope for is to unfriend them on facebook then SMS their commanders with !!!1!!!!!!11!1!! and then finally plank a tank.......
DJL351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2006, 03:50 PM   #37
guym

Bossxr8

what about a smaller six in a smaller car, something like the mondeo in the UK and infact I would suggest putting a 2.5l v6 in a car that size and then compare fuel economy. why does the car need to be so big.
guym is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2006, 06:53 PM   #38
Bucket
XR5 Pilot

Quote:
Bossxr8

what about a smaller six in a smaller car, something like the mondeo in the UK and infact I would suggest putting a 2.5l v6 in a car that size and then compare fuel economy. why does the car need to be so big.
A 2.5L 6 Doesnt suit Australia's Lifestyle neither does a smaller car.. We're not the UK for a reason Y'see

In all reality, We need cars that big- towing, family etc etc.
Bucket is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2006, 08:26 PM   #39
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Bossxr8

Because then the Falcon would have to compete with Mazda 6, Accord Euro etc. The Falcon has always been a big car and always will be, that's its best advantage over the others, you get a lot of car for the money. Value for money the Falcon would match anything in the world. If Ford went smaller they would have to move into an area of more competition. It would also then have Ford HQ questioning its existence if it was the same size as a Mondeo.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2006, 09:33 PM   #40
NZ
~~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJL351
Anyone else from Aust banned from their forums.... or is it just me??? :gren:

D:
Must have blocked australia! They like our cars but they dont like us.

"the man that crashs AFF"
NZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2006, 12:51 AM   #41
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Having a smaller engine won't gaurantee better fuel economy as it would be working much harder to pull the weight. Making the current engine as efficient as possible is the key, and that would be Fords number one priority. Ford proved with the XD if you can have a big engine in a big car with fuel economy better than a smaller car (VB Commodore) it will lead to sales. Have a look at the economy of a Fairmont Ghia 6 speed auto 6 cylinder, that compares well to some medium size cars.
I agree, a couple of weeks ago I had a trip around north east Vic for work, one tankful in a BA wagon worked out to 8.6L/100km. Not bad especially with an auto, you are cruising along effortlessly which is relaxing and easier on the driver, and you have plenty of grunt on tap for easy safe overtaking when necessary.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2006, 10:26 AM   #42
banarcus
hmm eyebrows

I think its great news. This will ensure that there will be a RWD Falcon in years to come and by reading our American friends forums, their liking to something with 2 doors may mean there might be a possiblity of a large RWD coupe. Bring back a Falcon hardtop!
Old 17-05-2006, 12:32 PM   #43
quest

Its not just about the Police cars being fast but also about keeping the bad guys both in and out of the car.
Can't say I've seen too many guys escape from the cage in the back seat of a Crown Vic-It's a jail in itself.
And I doubt the AU police vehicles offer some of these options...
quest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2006, 02:50 PM   #44
McobraR
me may my mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by quest
Its not just about the Police cars being fast but also about keeping the bad guys both in and out of the car.
Can't say I've seen too many guys escape from the cage in the back seat of a Crown Vic-It's a jail in itself.
And I doubt the AU police vehicles offer some of these options...
I want ballistic door panel!!!!!!!!!!! lol
McobraR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post