Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 30-07-2005, 01:58 PM   #31
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghia5L
Didn't Voss have some crazy colour scheme, while he flew Albatros III and V biplanes? Yellow fuselage, green & white wings, red tail... Something like that anyhoo...
Yep. Like all the Flying circus pilots his planes were painted up in the "come and get me" colours. Nearly all of them had some form of red on them but only the barons was all red. Heres a couple of known ones with the final triplane design from the last battle.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2005, 04:51 PM   #32
Sagerian
Custom User Title:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimzes
aimzes doesnt need no famous relatives.
Not when you got famous friends... Well, you don't have that either.. You're screwed man.
Just sometimes, in between the first cigarette with coffee in the morning to that four hundredth glass of cornershop p**s at 3am, you do sometimes look at yourself and think... this is fantastic. I'm in heaven.
Sagerian is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2005, 05:06 PM   #33
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
Yep. Like all the Flying circus pilots his planes were painted up in the "come and get me" colours. Nearly all of them had some form of red on them but only the barons was all red. Heres a couple of known ones with the final triplane design from the last battle.
A swastika (ok so it's a reverse one that looks like a "friendly" one) on the Albatros?!? If only he knew what was to come eh

The Flying Circus rocks! OK so I'm sounding a bit flippant here (going back to Red Baron game again) but when I joined up with the Germans, I'd always aim to get into their squadron :P

In real life, they would have been so impressive to witness though

One other thing: I wonder why he toned down his colours (silver/grey/whatever) when he got the triplane?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young 'un
he did?
SHE did.

Actually, I'm not sure, because it was either her marrying an INXS guy, or her brother married a sister of the INXS boys. Veeeeeeery distant relation either way. I'm probably more closely related to Kevin Bacon, like evreyone else is :P

-Dave-
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2005, 05:18 PM   #34
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
A swastika (ok so it's a reverse one that looks like a "friendly" one) on the Albatros?!? If only he knew what was to come eh
This was WWI... the swastika was a Nazi symbol from the early 30's, another decade plus after Manfreds time.
Now if you want to talk Nazi relations... I had them too unfortunatly, although starting to get VERY distant at that time as my grandparents were born in Australia pre WW1.

Quote:
One other thing: I wonder why he toned down his colours (silver/grey/whatever) when he got the triplane?
Dont know, maybe paint was in short supply at the end of the war or maybe the image of his plane was not entirely accruate. Cant really say.

Old 08-08-2005, 05:46 PM   #35
MAD
Petro-sexual

William Maxwell, was tried for treason and locked up in the tower of london for execution. On the eve of his execution he escaped by dressing as a serving woman using clothes smuggled to him by his wife.

I'm not exactly sure what the relation would be, but it would be a damn long one as this was back in 1715.
Old 08-08-2005, 05:47 PM   #36
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADXF
William Maxwell, was tried for treason and locked up in the tower of london for execution. On the eve of his execution he escaped by dressing as a serving woman using clothes smuggled to him by hs wife.

I'm not exactly sure what the relation would be, but it would be a damn long one as this was back in 1715.
And yet the Maxwell cross dressing tradition is still alive and well. Bwahahahahahaha

Old 08-08-2005, 05:48 PM   #37
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
And yet the Maxwell cross dressing tradition is still alive and well. Bwahahahahahaha
At least we didnt like the poms!!
Old 08-08-2005, 05:53 PM   #38
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADXF
At least we didnt like the poms!!
LOL, neither did we... shooting them down in flaming wrecks is a good way to say "I dont like you" :voldar02: The WW2 relatives were even nastier hahahaha

Old 08-08-2005, 06:02 PM   #39
megsy
Undergraduate EB Operator

ive done a bit of family tree searching in the previous couple of years and unfortunatly have found no one famous, although i did grow up about 15 minutes drive from tangambalanga, mel gibson owned a heap of land there he sold recently, and im not too sure but i think he grew up there too.
-----------------------
megsy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2005, 06:08 PM   #40
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by megsy
ive done a bit of family tree searching in the previous couple of years and unfortunatly have found no one famous, although i did grow up about 15 minutes drive from tangambalanga, mel gibson owned a heap of land there he sold recently, and im not too sure but i think he grew up there too.
Not sure if he grew up there but he lived there for ages. I met him twice in Albury/Wodonga (not far away as you know) and my brother was the cabinet maker that built his kitchen for him and then had a few drinks with him (this was before he gave up the grog and went religious).