Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 23-09-2006, 07:46 PM   #1
Nemesis737
Straight Six

Default Nokia 6280 - Worth the money?

Hey, just looking around for a new mobile, and found one that catches my eye....

The Nokia 6280...

Just wanna know if anyones had any experience with em, good or bad... Heard that they're about $600 outright, opinions anyone?

Nemesis737 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2006, 07:51 PM   #2
Jeld-Wen Falcon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They're ugly
Jeld-Wen Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2006, 07:53 PM   #3
Falcon_Phill
1967 XR Falcon

It depends what you want a phone for as well as making calls. Games, music etc. I bought a Sony ericoson 810i, its really good, i bouth a 1gb card for it and its a walkman phone for music and that. Too bad it was $700 outright. But i did look at those phones, i dont really like nokias anymore, theyre all too slow.
Old 23-09-2006, 07:56 PM   #4
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ive got one and cant complain.
Old 23-09-2006, 08:46 PM   #5
M&Ms
Donating Member
Donating Member1

I've had mine since June this year (6280). No complains so far, has all the gismos such as Bluetooth, Infrared, Music player, 2 Megapixel camera with flash, video camera, 3g, Video Calling, radio, internet, voice recorder, and Mini SD card slot (came with 64 meg, have since upgraded to 2 Gigs!). Oh, and you can also get coloured faces for them too (although thats something that interested most people back in my high school days).

I've used around 400 megs of space and it doesnt seem to slow down much at all.

I don't think it's ugly either, have a play with one first and see if you like it. Although if I were to purchase a phone now, I'd be looking at a Nokia N73.

Feel free to ask any questions regarding the 6280 though.

By the way, I got it for free from vodafone by signing up to the $79 supercap for 24 months.

Cheers.
M&Ms is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2006, 08:59 PM   #6
Nemesis737
Straight Six

The music player in it, can you store music like an mp3 player, or is it just the standard radio that they've got for years now?

Can you pick up a hard case for it, cause I'm sorta worried about the screen getting scratched on it...
Old 23-09-2006, 08:43 PM   #7
poolkeeper
Its Resonating!

My sis has one, when you have a few vids and photos it seems to slow up quite bad...
poolkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2006, 09:03 PM   #8
Falcon_Phill
1967 XR Falcon

You can store mp3.
Old 23-09-2006, 09:17 PM   #9
Nemesis737
Straight Six

Hmm... Sounds tempting... can play music, good quality camera and vid, SD capable, bluetooth and infa-red...

Still got 1 question but, can you change the clear cover that goes over the screen? Cause I don't want to send it away for a month to get a new cover on it...

EDIT: Nevermind, got a PM tellin me about it. I'm off t'morrow to compare a few plans and outright prices... : Thanks a ton for the help
Old 23-09-2006, 09:30 PM   #10
McobraR
me may my mo

Mates got one, and dust starts building up inside the screen. Cant clean it up cus they dont know how to open the screen. i've heard of many cases of dust build up after just a couple of months of use. Other than that, its a pretty good fone
McobraR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2006, 09:39 PM   #11
Nemesis737
Straight Six

Dam, never thought of that... I'll have to check it out to see.

Another thing I forgot about, after a fair amount of use, does the slider get loose, or does it stay nice and tight? I'll be using it alot, and thats why I'm iffy about the dust now...
Old 23-09-2006, 09:42 PM   #12
AshMan
Girrrrr!!!

Missus and I both have them, they are good.

No complaints so far.

Heritage green, isn't that a fence paint?
AshMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2006, 10:01 PM   #13
Ultimate
Pimp Daddy Pimp Pimp

Location: Queensland Events Assistant Co-Ordinator. Fiery's Little Helper

Ok mate, mates brother, mate girl friend, and ex girl friend all have this phone. Bloody unreal. Higly recommend it.

Jeff
---------------------------------------------------
AFF Merchandise

Excellent Purchases With: AFF Team, Rooster, Russ
Ultimate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2006, 10:08 PM   #14
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis737
Heard that they're about $600 outright, opinions anyone?
Use this web site - it search's for cheap aussie stores for Electronics - will help you get a good price or a price you can use to bagain down another seller with:-

www.shopbot.com.au

I purchased a Motorola V3x which has similar functions as a Nokia 6280 as I wanted a Flip Phone as when its closed the screen is protected whilst the phone is in my pocket

BUT if you have had a Nokia and are use to them I would recommend staying with the Nokia as when you switch brands you have to learn a different way to do just about everything

IMO the Nokia 6280 is a great phone and has all the functions you will need

As its a 3g phone all 3g phone's battery's seem to only last a couple of days before you have to recharge

Try and get a car charger thrown in with the deal as you are buying it outright

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2006, 10:16 PM   #15
Nemesis737
Straight Six

On the nokia site it says...

"Sales Package Contents
Nokia 6280 phone
Nokia Stereo Headset HS-23
Nokia Battery BP-6M
Nokia Connectivity Cable CA-53
Nokia Travel Charger AC-4
User Guide
CD-ROM containing software"

So it might already come with the car charger, "Nokia Travel Charger AC-4"?
Old 23-09-2006, 10:31 PM   #16
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
On the nokia site it says...

"Sales Package Contents
Nokia 6280 phone
Nokia Stereo Headset HS-23
Nokia Battery BP-6M
Nokia Connectivity Cable CA-53
Nokia Travel Charger AC-4
User Guide
CD-ROM containing software"

So it might already come with the car charger, "Nokia Travel Charger AC-4"?
I think most phone manufacturers call a 'travel Charger' the 240v type. A Car charger is usually called 'a moblie charger'.
Old 23-09-2006, 10:31 PM   #17
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

I've got one and it's the best phone i've ever had. There were a few problems with some early ones that weren't supposed to be released but were. Apart from that they are all good.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2006, 10:35 PM   #18
Nemesis737
Straight Six

GasOLane, you've got a point... Can pick up a car charger for em pretty cheap but, doubt it'd be more than $20.

Anyone have any knowledge about the MP3 compatibility of em? I'm not expectin an iPod on it or anythin, just a dozen or so songs to play when I'm bored and waitin for somethin. Hope its not like my model, where you need to have the earphones in to play any music...
Old 23-09-2006, 10:47 PM   #19
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
GasOLane, you've got a point... Can pick up a car charger for em pretty cheap but, doubt it'd be more than $20.

Anyone have any knowledge about the MP3 compatibility of em? I'm not expectin an iPod on it or anythin, just a dozen or so songs to play when I'm bored and waitin for somethin. Hope its not like my model, where you need to have the earphones in to play any music...
You don't need earphones to play MP3's. It has a external memory card, 64MB comes with it, but i'm sure that you could buy a larger one. It also has a decent radio.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2006, 10:50 PM   #20
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

Quote:
Can pick up a car charger for em pretty cheap but, doubt it'd be more than $20....
Free is better than Cheap - screw them into including it into the deal if its not already a std accessory

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2006, 12:44 AM   #21
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

dont know what the prob is, my boss got one, been dropped lots, got a 2gig SD card (not even the ultra) even when its full of music and movies its quiet fast......

i hate anything flip though, waste battery for nothing, cost double what equivilent 'flat' phone costs and does nothing for the extra money but break easy.

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2006, 12:49 AM   #22
Nemesis737
Straight Six

This was the kind of comment I was waiting for... Cause I'd actually use my phone while workin and I don't want it to smash the first little bump I giv it, spose thats why I've got my current phone, the 5140i but instead of buyin a digital camera that I'd forget half the time, I'd combine em.
Old 24-09-2006, 01:27 AM   #23
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Had mine for a few months, can't recommend it highly enough. Here's a video I took today of the Focus in the Australian Rally Championship to show you the kind of video quality.

I bought a 2 gig SD card for $80 roughly, from www.msy.com.au

MP3 player is top notch, good quality, headphones are not too shabby and it's very user friendly. By far the best phone I've ever owned. Will take a lot to top this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDNqB2phNUU

Last edited by zetec; 24-09-2006 at 02:11 AM.
zetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2006, 01:32 AM   #24
Nemesis737
Straight Six

I'm very impressed with that vid, I thought it was good quality but not that good... :hihi: I am now more than convinced to pick one up, ty for all the help
Old 24-09-2006, 01:38 AM   #25
GREGXR8
SHOCKWAVE MK11 BA XR8

i had one until i changed plans and got a nokia n80. i gave the 6280 to my daughter, she loves it. i was'nt that keen on it or the n80 i've got now. only because they are getting too small and fiddly to use, but they've got some great features. the photo and video quality in the 6280 was'nt bad either. the camera in the n80 is great it's a 3megapixel (whatever that is) but they are pretty expensive to buy outright.

Last edited by gregxr8; 24-09-2006 at 01:49 AM.
GREGXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2006, 09:41 AM   #26
red_hotxr6
Banned

My husband and i both got one about 3 months ago and the only problem i personally can find is the battery life is a bit short.But then i have every thing going on it.lol
red_hotxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2006, 09:44 AM   #27
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

I've got one...

It makes phone calls and recieves text messages. I'm stoked!

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2006, 10:27 AM   #28
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've just got a Nokia 6111 through AAPT. Seems pretty good so far. Is it a lower or higher model than the 6280? I'm thinking of getting another one for the family. Anybody think anything's better in the Nokia range? (AAPT supplies Nokias only)
Old 24-09-2006, 10:34 AM   #29
GCFordChic
I love AU XR8s

I got one a few months ago when they first came out, the screen is awsome, much better than my fiancee's N91, the camera is pretty good, mine doesnt run slow and it is full, i got a clear hardcase cover for it from an aussie seller on ebay.

The problem with dust in the screen is a little annoying, i only every have it in my handbag or on the kitchen bench and it has noticeable dust, even with a screen protector and case...:( Bretts N91 has more, but he is a carpenter, so what can you expect...

I would recommend it though, i hardly really use the keypad except for text and phonecalls to someone not in my phone book, so i suppose the slider wont get much wear, however when you look closely the design is pretty cool, and although its hard to explain, it is the sort of design i wouldnt expect to get 'loose' or anything.

I also just liked the colour....thats why i got it...lol

FPV & XR Owners Club of Qld
Want more info on our club?
fpvxrqldinfo@gmail.com
or see our Club Section

My Garage:
AU II XR8 Sedan "Lil T"
Hyundai i30 SR
yeah baby!
GCFordChic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2006, 10:42 AM   #30
Nemesis737
Straight Six

GCFordChic, yeh was wondering if the slider thing on it would get loose or not, but I'd be using it the same as you I guess, don't really send text msgs too much...

leisurestore, I'll took into it... Bought a 1gig card for the ma's camera a few months ago, $120, so this would be handy...

Thanks for the pic of the adapter, as you can tell I like to do my homework before big-ish purchases... I've already got a car charger so with the adapter it'd fit still.

Looked around eBay, saw the clear protectors and also the covers with a "tool" to get it off (come in handy to clean the dust), couldn't imagine it would be too good for the phone but...