Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 19-03-2009, 02:14 PM   #1
funpig
Elmsford Park Rex

Default So has anyone been made redundant yet ?

Just curious as to who might be in the same boat as me, exploration seems to have been one of the first areas to be cut in the mining industry in this downturn. It the mine I work for, all of our surface drilling and exploration proposals of any sort have been officially canned so it looks like I will have plenty of time to plan my next big trip very shortly. Could be a nice long trip too.

Who else out there is or has been working in exploration and is facing the big R ?

Sunday drive
FG xr6 cab chassis in silhouette, now at 168000 km
funpig is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2009, 02:24 PM   #2
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

Im in miming mate and officially finished 2 weeks ago. BHPBilliton - Ravensthorpe. But lucky for me im a mechy fitter with alot of competancies and just picked up meself another job fi/fo. Only really put out my resume 4 days ago, and have another phone interview with rio tinto this afternoon
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2009, 02:31 PM   #3
funpig
Elmsford Park Rex

That was nice quick work svo347, you must be relieved about that. Best of luck with that. Have you gone with an agency or direct ?

Seems like all the exploration geo jobs have dried up, unless you are a senior with 10 years experience. Tradeys might be a bit different and more in demand ? Might have to retrain and go for the tools...

Sunday drive
Old 19-03-2009, 02:28 PM   #4
Elguapo
SY AWD Ghia

A bit off topic for the Territory forum. Shouldn't this at least be in the pub forum?

From my point of view it seems specific industry types are going to be hit a lot harder than other during this downturn. Obviously mining springs to mind as does manufacturing, cars in particular. A lot of people tend to dwell on the negative side of things even though their jobs are probably very safe. At the end of the day even if unemployment hits 10% that still means 90% are still in work.
Old 19-03-2009, 02:36 PM   #5
funpig
Elmsford Park Rex

[QUOTE=Elguapo]A bit off topic for the Territory forum. Shouldn't this at least be in the pub forum?

QUOTE]

Ok I'll switch to the pub forum... not sure about others but I need my job to pay for my Territory, so maybe it is still a relevant topic to a few Territory owners.

Sunday drive
Old 19-03-2009, 02:46 PM   #6
mowog
Discovery 4

I invited my boss to sack me today. He so far hasn't taken me up on the offer. That might have something to do with the $300k I make for them every year.

Oh to get in topic with the forum.. I didn't drive my Territory today.
Lotus Trooper.
Mini Inspired by Goodwood.
mowog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2009, 02:52 PM   #7
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

Thread moving to the Bar.

I start working 4-day weeks from next wk (day dropped being is funded by AL/LSL which I'm fortunate to be able to use) as my industry (Steel industry) is plumbing new lows each week.

As well as the massive drop in sales some of the margin squeeze we are experiencing is due to be locked into contracts with those greedy miners above ;)

Outlook for recovery is not looking rosy with more drastic cost control activities on the horizon :(
Old 19-03-2009, 03:35 PM   #8
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

Im a roof plumber and we do new work and re-roofs, re-gutter. The new housing stuff has dissappeared, but were busy as hell with the old stuff. I guess if people can't afford to build or move, they'll just fix up the house there currently living in.
SM1DY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2009, 03:41 PM   #9
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Fortunantly no!

My dad was sacked 3 days before his probation was up as head of the sales dept at CMC markets - a bit dog but i guess thats how it goes.

I was surprised when he told me he got a new job actually - dead smack in the middle of a recession!
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2009, 12:26 PM   #10
Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fev
Fortunantly no!

My dad was sacked 3 days before his probation was up as head of the sales dept at CMC markets - a bit dog but i guess thats how it goes.

I was surprised when he told me he got a new job actually - dead smack in the middle of a recession!
I too was made redundant at...CMC Markets Sales Division. As well as another sales workmate. He was so shattered, he just grabbed his bag & left, in tears.

Glad your dad found a new job straight away. I think we may have left the building at about the same time (different States). Is your dad's surname
Dawson?
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2009, 01:00 PM   #11
4117kev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was given a permenant holiday in Feb this year, I have been in the training industry for 10years for general and civil construction so I have started my own training company to see if I can't help others who have fallen into the same predicament.

QLD based Traffic control, blue cards that sort of thing to start with, so this could be the best thing that happened to me.
4117kev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2009, 03:50 PM   #12
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Got made redundant over 7 months ago.

Been doing bits and pieces for myself, trying to start up my own landscaping business from scratch.

Also applied for a few mine jobs, but considering I'm up against a few thousand people who have mine experience my chances are quite slim.
Old 19-03-2009, 09:22 PM   #13
rodderz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoreSlamR
Got made redundant over 7 months ago.

Been doing bits and pieces for myself, trying to start up my own landscaping business from scratch.

Also applied for a few mine jobs, but considering I'm up against a few thousand people who have mine experience my chances are quite slim.
You can work for me if you want to travel to Vic! I've been advertising a job for a couple of weeks with only 1 phonecall so far who is a fair distance away. I need someone very quickly as I have 3 months work ahead and am starting to lose my mind working flat out during the day then going home to sort out paperwork etc all night.
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2009, 04:32 PM   #14
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodderz
You can work for me if you want to travel to Vic! I've been advertising a job for a couple of weeks with only 1 phonecall so far who is a fair distance away. I need someone very quickly as I have 3 months work ahead and am starting to lose my mind working flat out during the day then going home to sort out paperwork etc all night.
Mate, I'd take you up on that if we weren't on opposite sides of the country...

I was doing some work for a local landscaper here, he advertised a supervisors position, work phone, work ute... I ended up getting the job but he changed the goal posts on me by saying he couldn't let me take the work ute home and that I wouldn't be supervising. I spent the first week pulling couch out of garden beds, but it was money so I didn't complain.

Then he got me to do some retic and his true colours really started to show.

In short, he asked me to connect the pipes in a way that would not work, so I suggested another way. So he has a sad, jumps in the trench and farts around for 5 minutes, realises my way was right so he gets up and says "Yeah your way won't work so well do it this way" (the right way I suggested)

That was enough for me... I quit that afternoon :
Old 19-03-2009, 04:10 PM   #15
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was made redundant about 2 1/2 months ago now. I worked in IT.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2009, 05:53 PM   #16
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
I was made redundant about 2 1/2 months ago now. I worked in IT.
How is the IT Industry going at the moment? I'm going to be going into it soonish - few years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2009, 06:23 PM   #17
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daymoe
How is the IT Industry going at the moment? I'm going to be going into it soonish - few years.
I think people have cut back quite a bit but if you're senior / experienced / have a degree you have a better shot. No one is really hiring too many graduates / junior around here.

ACT is in recession so it was hard before but even harder now.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2009, 04:38 PM   #18
macca13

Same here the mine I was working at was shut down last year (just before xmas as usual) and I was moved to another site but we have been given the boot again and have 1 month left so resumes are going out like mad.
macca13 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2009, 04:50 PM   #19
balthazarr

I remember the one and only time I've been made redundant... it was 8 years ago now, and only 4.5 months after I'd just bought my first house. :

As I'd only been there for 2 years, the payout wasn't spectacular, and then, like now, there were few jobs going in my industry.

I sympathise with all of you... it blows chunks at the time, and if you've got a family to support or large rent/mortgage and bills, it's definitely stressful.

For me, it was actually one of those 'it was meant to be' moments, because I completely changed my career path and haven't really looked back since.
balthazarr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2009, 06:20 PM   #20
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by balthazarr
I remember the one and only time I've been made redundant... it was 8 years ago now, and only 4.5 months after I'd just bought my first house. :

As I'd only been there for 2 years, the payout wasn't spectacular, and then, like now, there were few jobs going in my industry.

I sympathise with all of you... it blows chunks at the time, and if you've got a family to support or large rent/mortgage and bills, it's definitely stressful.

For me, it was actually one of those 'it was meant to be' moments, because I completely changed my career path and haven't really looked back since.
Yep, i just bought my house 5 months before, I was guaranteed that my job was secure when I was looking at buying as well...

Funny how things turn out...
Old 19-03-2009, 08:10 PM   #21
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Nope not yet.

Been invited to have 4 day weeks though.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2009, 09:16 PM   #22
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
Don't worry - when i started my tertiary studies the industry was flat, no one was getting hired, everyone was going bust. Fast forward two or three years (2005/2006) and if you couldn't get a job in IT you'd have to be hopeless. Now its back to what it was in 2002/2003.
Tis ok for me, permanent govt job.
Old 19-03-2009, 09:22 PM   #23
pitpal
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Was made redundant in novenber last year. Only just found work 3 weeks ago. The printing industry is rooted

FOR SALE oil catch cans and cats back exhaust to suit BA|F GT. PM FOR MORE INFO
pitpal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2009, 09:29 PM   #24
GUTLES
Adam.

I'm in the Ag Machinery industry & my jobs a very busy one, even if we shut our doors & had no customers I'd have enough work to keep me going for a couple of months. We're getting quiter but still making some $$, hopefully this bit of rain picks things up a bit more. One of our apprentices resigned yesterday & the other one isn't far off being shown the door, I'm second in charge so hopefully that means I'm the second last person to go!

Defiantly not a good time to be leaving a stable job at the moment but I've seen a few people take the gamble.

2007 BF Mk2 Winter White E-Gas Wagon, 6 Seater.

2002 AU3 XR6, Liquid Silver, Manual, Sunroof, LPG, Rebel Kit, BA GTP's, Momo Steering Wheel & Gear Knob.
GUTLES is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2009, 10:39 AM   #25
Simon_Koala
Starter Motor ?

I'm in the accommodation hotel industry. It's doing it a bit tough but not as bad as some industries. As I'm senior, quite experienced and have a degree, I'm okay, problem is though that the forecast for the remainder of '09 and the whole of '10 is not crash hot, and pickup (at whatever pace) isn't expected within the industry until 2011. Interesting times indeed.
Old 20-03-2009, 10:43 AM   #26
Cookie-XR8
SKID IT

yep :( :( and now looking for a new job, not much out there though

BF XR6T Ute - 422rwhp tuned by FPT Toowoomba

Where the boost junkies hang out -Forced Ford Forums
Cookie-XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2009, 10:47 AM   #27
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My brother got made redundant from his welding gig in December. Got another labouring job loading planes at night, but then loads were being reduced so he was first off as he was last on. He now has another job in welding, but it was a few weeks in between.

Interestingly I read an article in my employment law journals this week about how first response redunadancies in the face of economic slowdowns are not good for the business, but for many this is their first response. Can't post a link because copyrighted.

I guess not many business owners read management and employment journals, but it would probably be a good idea for smaller business to get some help from advisers like Australian Business Limited or something before "cutting of their nose despite their face".
Old 20-03-2009, 12:24 PM   #28
ZA-289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah i got the *** 4 weeks ago, the only thing keeping me afloat is a few back yard car services, a great fiance who earns ok money and my cheap as morgage.

I would like a job soon though! have applied for heaps, just dont get any respone. :(
ZA-289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2009, 02:45 PM   #29
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

wife made some parts of me redundant years ago ,job safe as but
Old 20-03-2009, 02:50 PM   #30
davez104
Landau = GT with the lot!

You'll be fully redundant if you don't get back out there and get that car stripped!! Turn my back for five minutes and you're on the bloody Ford Forums!!

Dave.
davez104 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post