Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: Favorite Car Reviews

Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2024, 10:24 PM   #122
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Two old 5th Gear reviews.

The first being the Mercedes-McClaren SLR. Heavily flawed, that 5-speed slusher really ruined the vehicle. But just look at the angle and amount of smoke old Tiff achieved on the track. I also love the duality of noise the SLR makes, a deep bellowing exhaust note accompanied by the shrill of the supercharger. But its interesting to see how twitchy and unpredictable it was, which is at odds with the slushy gearbox and Mercedes-ness to it.

The second being a quick review of the 2005 Ford GT................

Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2024, 10:39 PM   #123
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I’m probably not really in a position to comment as I’ll never be able to afford or drive either, but I always thought for a super car both engine choices were half arsed. Fords is essentially a supercharged pick up truck engine while MBs is a supercharged engine from a then 5 figure E Class.

If there’s one thing the yanks can do better than anyone else it’s retro models.
These things still look awesome inside and out 20 years on.

smoo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2024, 10:53 PM   #124
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo View Post
I’m probably not really in a position to comment as I’ll never be able to afford or drive either, but I always thought for a super car both engine choices were half arsed. Fords is essentially a supercharged pick up truck engine while MBs is a supercharged engine from a then 5 figure E Class.

If there’s one thing the yanks can do better than anyone else it’s retro models.
These things still look awesome inside and out 20 years on.

The SLR was never a favorite of mine, mainly because of its identity crises. I do remember at the time it wasn't very well received by the press, even the engineers admitted years later that it was a dud.

The Ford GT seemed to be the opposite. Most expected it to be a straight-line hero like every other American performance car. But what they delivered surprised many. The engine? It used an alloy block instead of the cast-iron truck block, so it sort of is and sort of isn't a truck engine. But yes, that's where they saved money by using a modified version of an existing engine. At least its bullet proof and parts readily available. Can't say that about a Ferrari or Lambo.
Mustang GT

Old Yesterday, 12:08 AM   #125
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
The SLR was never a favorite of mine, mainly because of its identity crises. I do remember at the time it wasn't very well received by the press, even the engineers admitted years later that it was a dud.

The Ford GT seemed to be the opposite. Most expected it to be a straight-line hero like every other American performance car. But what they delivered surprised many. The engine? It used an alloy block instead of the cast-iron truck block, so it sort of is and sort of isn't a truck engine. But yes, that's where they saved money by using a modified version of an existing engine. At least its bullet proof and parts readily available. Can't say that about a Ferrari or Lambo.

I can’t say I’ve ever followed that segment of the car industry too closely, as ownership and real world use is unrealistic to me.
But I get the impression the SLR is more of a AM Vanquish, Ferrari 575M competitor while the GT is more aligned with the Carerra GT, Enzo, Murcialago, Zonda?

At the time Ford played around with 351 and 427 cui V10 concept engines.
I think something like this would have been the icing on the cake.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/prot...-ford-mustang/

Likewise Mercedes had the option of their V12 variants like Pagani Zonda or AMG twin turbo spec. The twin turbo V12 had 200nm more torque. Instead opted for a relatively low tech V8.
This user likes this post:
Old Yesterday, 09:02 PM   #126
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
I can’t say I’ve ever followed that segment of the car industry too closely, as ownership and real world use is unrealistic to me.
But I get the impression the SLR is more of a AM Vanquish, Ferrari 575M competitor while the GT is more aligned with the Carerra GT, Enzo, Murcialago, Zonda?

At the time Ford played around with 351 and 427 cui V10 concept engines.
I think something like this would have been the icing on the cake.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/prot...-ford-mustang/

Likewise Mercedes had the option of their V12 variants like Pagani Zonda or AMG twin turbo spec. The twin turbo V12 had 200nm more torque. Instead opted for a relatively low tech V8.
I'm the same, always appreciated high end supercars, but they were never my "poster" cars. There are exceptions, Aston Martin and Jaguar for example, but very few Ferrari's and Lambo's float my boat.

The Ford GT always intrigued me for the styling, an unmistakable shape that looked fresh when it launched, and still looks fresh today. The engine was always going to be a V8, and supercharging was a very Ford thing for the time. I do wonder how the flat-plane Voodoo V8 would have gone down, that high revving nature would have suited the GT quite well.

Ford actually benchmarked the Ferrari 360 when during development, they even bought one and then famously put this sticker on the rear bumper. So, while it had the power and torque of an Enzo, it was aimed at the 360 instead.

Mustang GT

Old Yesterday, 09:46 PM   #127
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
I'm the same, always appreciated high end supercars, but they were never my "poster" cars. There are exceptions, Aston Martin and Jaguar for example, but very few Ferrari's and Lambo's float my boat.

The Ford GT always intrigued me for the styling, an unmistakable shape that looked fresh when it launched, and still looks fresh today. The engine was always going to be a V8, and supercharging was a very Ford thing for the time. I do wonder how the flat-plane Voodoo V8 would have gone down, that high revving nature would have suited the GT quite well.

Ford actually benchmarked the Ferrari 360 when during development, they even bought one and then famously put this sticker on the rear bumper. So, while it had the power and torque of an Enzo, it was aimed at the 360 instead.

Did the price align with the Ferrari 360?
That have put it in the same league as 911 Turbo, AM DB9 and Corvette Z06?
It have mauled them all.
Same sentiment with Ferrari, the only one I lust after is a manual 550/575M. Big V12 coupe with good lines.
Old Yesterday, 10:03 PM   #128
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Did the price align with the Ferrari 360?
That have put it in the same league as 911 Turbo, AM DB9 and Corvette Z06?
It have mauled them all.
Same sentiment with Ferrari, the only one I lust after is a manual 550/575M. Big V12 coupe with good lines.
Price when new was a mixed bag, its hard to know where it lined up. I came up with the following via Google using MSRP in USD.

Ford GT - MSRP $149,995 USD
Ferrari 360 Modena - MSRP $176,287 USD
Porche 911 Turbo S - MSRP $131,400 USD

And same, the mid-engine Ferrari's never did it for me, I much prefer the front engine V12 cars like the 550/575M, the big 612 Scag, or 599.
Mustang GT