Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-09-2021, 06:32 PM   #14731
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
15 Australians die everyday due to air pollution. That’s 5400 a year.
Do you have a link for that?
Old 09-09-2021, 06:46 PM   #14732
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I’ve never seen any government take reducing air pollution seriously.
Watch this space. I heard some "expert" say on TV the other day that these lock downs have given us lessons on how to tackle future crisis, like another pandemic or CLIMATE change

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
2 users like this post:
Old 09-09-2021, 06:47 PM   #14733
Metdevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by five 7 View Post
The next steps are to determine the correct human dosage – ensuring the doses shown to effectively treat the virus in vitro are safe for humans.
Did you see this part?

To prevent a cyclical conversation, go back and read what I posted about the dosage to achieve anti-viral properties being 100 times the safe dosage for humans.

This is why it's not used as an anti-viral.
3 users like this post:
Old 09-09-2021, 07:02 PM   #14734
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
Do you have a link for that?
Yeah it’s called google. It’s on an offical Australian government website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Watch this space. I heard some "expert" say on TV the other day that these lock downs have given us lessons on how to tackle future crisis, like another pandemic or CLIMATE change
Yeah I believe that. Our freedoms are gone forever. Any time the government decides they want to take your freedom away for your own good, it’s gone within a day and there’s nothing you can do about it.

Some people will say something like “if you haven’t realised we’re in a once in a 100 year pandemic” but they don’t see the bigger picture.

Look at the fixated persons unit in NSW. It was created to help stop the increasing number of terrorist attacks in NSW during the 2010’s.
If you’re not a terrorist you don’t have to worry right?
Well now they use that unit to arrest YouTubers who criticise the government.

Ive never been into anti government conspiracies, but I’m starting to see where these people are coming from.

Last edited by Ben73; 09-09-2021 at 07:13 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 09-09-2021, 07:03 PM   #14735
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 View Post
Yes mate thank you!

Cheers Billy
This user likes this post:
Old 09-09-2021, 07:14 PM   #14736
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:

Sucking on ozone does that to ya.......

Cheers Billy
Old 09-09-2021, 07:20 PM   #14737
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Yeah it’s called google. It’s on an offical Australian government website.
Ah, the DYOR thing. Well no, you made the statement, you provide the proof.
Old 09-09-2021, 07:35 PM   #14738
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Ah, the DYOR thing. Well no, you made the statement, you provide the proof.
https://lmgtfy.app/?q=australian+death+statistics

Or specifically

https://letmegooglethat.com/?q=death...in+australia.+
Old 09-09-2021, 07:52 PM   #14739
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Swimming season’s coming up. Better lock down and stay safe.
for the record im immunized for that already
i have multiple shots of water daily

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
2 users like this post:
Old 09-09-2021, 07:59 PM   #14740
MercuryT
Banned

Quote:

Lol.

Turn it up.

It's like the Covid numbers (most are dying anyway it just topped them (unfortunately))
Old 09-09-2021, 08:06 PM   #14741
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercuryT View Post
Lol.

Turn it up.

It's like the Covid numbers (most are dying anyway it just topped them (unfortunately))
If we want to get even more morbid, 460 Australians die every day for all causes.

I’m not downplaying covid. I don’t like covid, I don’t want it, I don’t want people I know to get it. But the whole listing the age, sex, location and even how they got covid for every single death is a bit over the top.
Old 09-09-2021, 09:02 PM   #14742
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough.

LINK not DOYR, as in direct link to the >5000 people you mentioned above. If you cant provide a direct link we can only imagine that you're having a wild guess.
Old 09-09-2021, 10:07 PM   #14743
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Told ya's - NWO.

Typical Lefty, can barely tell what gender they are.
Old 09-09-2021, 10:53 PM   #14744
Trendseeker

Quote:
Perhaps I wasn't clear enough.

LINK not DOYR, as in direct link to the >5000 people you mentioned above. If you cant provide a direct link we can only imagine that you're having a wild guess.
I don’t know what the argument is about, but here is a link to a SMH article that refers to 5700 deaths in Australia per year from air pollution.

https://www.smh.com.au/environment/c...09-p570z7.html

Edit: direct quote: “ But every country suffers from its impact. In Australia, it represents about 4 per cent of all deaths each year, or about 5700 fatalities.”

Carry on.
Old 09-09-2021, 11:03 PM   #14745
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I’ve read a few news articles in the last decade that engage with some aspect of air pollution in Australia. There was the big to-do of “thunderstorm asthma” several years ago. Canberra’s wood heater buyback. Discussion of periodically bad air quality in Tasmania due to wood fires (both chip heaters and split logs). (I’ve also experienced this and while you sort-of get used to it, there’s no denying it’s harsh on the nose/throat - and presumably thus upon compromised lungs.)
2 users like this post:
Old 10-09-2021, 12:07 AM   #14746
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have no idea why people don't understand that people die everyday but the main thing about covid is hospitals don't want 1000s of sick people turning up every day en mass all at once. That is the difference, that's why vaccination against serious illness is being pushed.

Get vaccinated and when you've got covid stay home, or not, no one cares if you prefer to hope it away or go to a vet, just don't fill up the hospitals so they can do regular stuff that hospitals can barely function enough to do pre pandemic.
2 users like this post:
Old 10-09-2021, 02:05 AM   #14747
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldel View Post
I have no idea why people don't understand that people die everyday but the main thing about covid is hospitals don't want 1000s of sick people turning up every day en mass all at once.
Bottom line...

Non-infectious disease = ICU's can cope
Highly infectious disease = ICU's overloaded
Old 10-09-2021, 02:21 AM   #14748
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

One of Australia’s big four banks has undergone a major logo change to encourage the uptake of vaccinations nationwide.
The name change comes after chief executive Ross McEwan threw the bank’s weight behind vaccine passports as the ticket out of lockdowns.

NAB changes to JAB.

NAB changes logo to JAB to encourage vaccination

3 users like this post:
Old 10-09-2021, 06:59 AM   #14749
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

There’s scant contemplation of what happens if either the state/national Covid vaccination goals of 80%x2 are not met or become apparent to be taking infinitely longer to reach. I note NSW’s first dose vaccination rate is gently slowing as it approaches 80% and the second dose proportion is increasing in the daily doses administered.

I hope governments have an honest backup plan if the 80 percent figure starts to look unattainable; it’s not good enough to blame people and turn them against one another. We have an interesting history of big talk, small results - 1990 child poverty statement, the NBN fiasco, the billion trees…
2 users like this post:
Old 10-09-2021, 08:17 AM   #14750
slowsnake
Banned

My chemo treatment has again been cancelled, 3rd time in 3 weeks I think, but I picked up my pre-chemo drugs today.
Dexamethasone, now I'm not vaccinated for covid, here in Perth no lockdown, but dident ex-President Donald Trump espouse it's qualities when he said "that drug cured his covid infection" in 2 days?
I mean it's an anti inflammatory steroid, so are they giving me that because I'm not vaccinated?

That's a question!

Cheers Billy
Old 10-09-2021, 09:15 AM   #14751
AlanD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi Slowsnake,

My wife is on a course of Dexamethasone as eyedrops because she has some retinal inflammation and the WHO (go here: https://www.who.int/emergencies/dise...-dexamethasone ) says:

Quote: Dexamethasone is a corticosteroid used in a wide range of conditions for its anti-inflammatory and immunosuppressant effects.

It was tested in hospitalized patients with COVID-19 in the United Kingdom’s national clinical trial RECOVERY and was found to have benefits for critically ill patients.

According to preliminary findings shared with WHO (and now available as a preprint), for patients on ventilators, the treatment was shown to reduce mortality by about one third, and for patients requiring only oxygen, mortality was cut by about one fifth.
End quote.

So I would guess it is probably being provided as a preventative medication to control inflammation associated with your condition. (And you have my sympathy in respect of this) At least you are in a state which is somewhat
better insulated from the virus than are most of us and have a premier who hasn't forgotten that the first responsibility of a government is the protection and welfare of the population. In respect of Covid it would appear only to be of benefit if you are A) infected and B) in dire straits. Everyone, and especially people with existing medical conditions, ought be doing everything they can to not catch Covid and minimise their chances of serious disease if they do. I am quite sure you are - be thankful you are not living in the Southeast of Australia.

Now I'll probably draw a comment or two about the third sentence in the last paragraph, so I'll give my reasons for it.

There is a difference between the first responsibility of a government and a political party. As already stated for a government but for a political party it is to do whatever is necessary and legal to remain in power. It's my opinion that some governments in this country, in respect of Covid, are getting the two things mixed up. And there is the problem because rarely do the two things benefit one another.

But that's the nature of politicians.

Cheers

Our Drive: Mondeo
MD TDCi Titanium Wagon
Ruby Red

Old 10-09-2021, 09:22 AM   #14752
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsnake View Post
My chemo treatment has again been cancelled, 3rd time in 3 weeks I think, but I picked up my pre-chemo drugs today.
Dexamethasone, now I'm not vaccinated for covid, here in Perth no lockdown, but dident ex-President Donald Trump espouse it's qualities when he said "that drug cured his covid infection" in 2 days?
I mean it's an anti inflammatory steroid, so are they giving me that because I'm not vaccinated?

That's a question!

Cheers Billy
Mate, jump up and down if you have to, but get vaccinated. Go political if you need to. Aim to achieve a booking by end of today. If you were 38 years old, female with a family, living in the posh suburbs and facing life-changing cancer - (1.) You wouldn’t be getting bumped for chemo, (2.) You’d have been offered vaccination by now.
Old 10-09-2021, 09:57 AM   #14753
HIPO
Al

https://uap-media.com.au/tga-full-re...ts-and-deaths/
Old 10-09-2021, 09:58 AM   #14754
HIPO
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO FURTHER View Post
One of Australia’s big four banks has undergone a major logo change to encourage the uptake of vaccinations nationwide.
The name change comes after chief executive Ross McEwan threw the bank’s weight behind vaccine passports as the ticket out of lockdowns.

NAB changes to JAB.

NAB changes logo to JAB to encourage vaccination

wow! that says a lot.........
Old 10-09-2021, 10:05 AM   #14755
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trendseeker
Edit: direct quote: “ But every country suffers from its impact. In Australia, it represents about 4 per cent of all deaths each year, or about 5700 fatalities.”
I'm sorry but an unsupported comment from the SMH with an estimate is hardly solid research and even the referenced findings from Harvard and Birmingham U are also estimates based on some fairly rubbery metrics.

It's a bit like all those who have died from all sorts of related and unrelated things but who were smokers so the anti-smoking lobby includes their deaths in their statistics.

Or, more accurately, counting all the deaths from respiratory illnesses in cities with any days in the year over a certain index number and saying that the air pollution was the cause regardless of what else actually killed them.

I'm not saying it doesn't cause some deaths but I suspect that the 3,000 estimate by the AIHW is still, at best, a guess and a read of that paper shows that they simply attributed percentages of various causes of death (lung cancer, stroke, heart disease) in line with estimates supplied by the WHO.

We really shouldn't let the facts and/or solid, peer reviewed research get in the way of a good media beat-up.

Observatio Facta Rotae

3 users like this post:
Old 10-09-2021, 10:30 AM   #14756
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57
Not happy, we had no cases Sunday, no cases yesterday, no cases today, what are they waiting for? Tell what the hold up is so we know
I'm guessing that this is the reason why Shepparton hasn't been released from the restrictions along with other Vic regional areas, Trev.

Quote:
A new COVID-19 exposure site has been identified in Shepparton, for the first time in a week.

Pizza Place, at 64 High Street, Shepparton, has been listed as a tier 2 exposure site between September 2 and 8.

There are still more than 70 active cases of the virus in Shepparton, and it is the only regional area in Victoria where restrictions were not eased last night.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
IMO you have to just open up fully and accept that some people will die. What's the point of living, if all you are going to do is sit in your house all day forever?

Survival of the fittest. Those that are vaxxed have done all they can do, the rest is up to luck of the draw. People die from the flu all the time and no one bats an eyelid. It's just the way it goes.
To some extent, I agree. We will get to that point again, but given experiences in other parts of the world, as the Israel story showed, I just can't see that we're going to go from lockdowns and restrictions to having no restrictions overnight.

My reading of the tea leaves suggests that we will still have limits on gatherings, especially the major ones (ie, we won't be seeing 100,000 fans at the MCG any time soon), we'll still need to wear masks in high transmission risk locations, eg shopping centres, for quite some time after we achieve the 80% vaccination rate target.

As has been pointed out, this will be done to manage the number of cases that are ending up in our hospitals, ensuring that resources are available to get back to doing those activities hospitals normally do, like taking care of patients who are suffering other terminal illnesses or elective surgery, that have taken a back seat whilst we've dealt with the pandemic.

The other thing that may have been missed in all this, too is that we need to give our medical workers a break! The pandemic workload has been huge; I'd hazard a guess that many in that field need some time to be able to recuperate, take some leave, get back to a more normal workpace. I think we owe it those people to do our bit to afford them this. Vaccination alone won't cut it, especially once the virus starts spreading once restrictions are eased. But if we go 'open slather' so to speak, then they won't be afforded that opportunity.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
3 users like this post:
Old 10-09-2021, 10:39 AM   #14757
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

While on the subject of misleading information.

Unfortunately, the Internet provides a mechanism where pseudo-research can be propagated, misinterpreted, taken out of context or given more credit than it merits but I am not going to allow that to continue in this thread.

So, despite the fact that some people still believe we never landed on the moon, the US Government killed one or both Kennedys or that aliens regularly abduct us for experimentation; here are the things that we are going to take as real truths for now (until there is verifiable evidence to the contrary) and if those on the fringe don't like it then I'm happy to remove them from this area of the forum.

1. COVID19 may well have started in a Chinese lab - the jury is still out on that one - but it is not a conspiracy by our Government to restrict the freedoms of Australian citizens.

2. Taking Ivermectin, chloroquine or hydroxychloroquine; inhaling or gargling bleach; inhaling hydrogen peroxide; snorting cocaine or drinking boiled betel leaves are NOT cures or approved treatments for COVID19.

3. The currently available vaccines represent the best efforts of current research and as such are as safe (if not slightly safer) than most new medications. They will not help your 5G reception, do not contain microchips to track you and are not part of a wider Government conspiracy.

Observatio Facta Rotae

Last edited by russellw; 10-09-2021 at 10:47 AM.
Old 10-09-2021, 10:50 AM   #14758
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
While on the subject of misleading information.

Unfortunately, the Internet provides a mechanism where pseudo-research can be propagated, misinterpreted, taken out of context or given more credit than it merits but I am not going to allow that to continue in this thread.

So, despite the fact that some people still believe we never landed on the moon, the US Government killed one or both Kennedys or that aliens regularly abduct us for experimentation; here are the things that we are going to take as real truths for now (until there is verifiable evidence to the contrary) and if those on the fringe don't like it then I'm happy to remove them from this area of the forum.

1. COVID19 may well have started in a Chinese lab - the jury is still out on that one - but it is not a conspiracy by our Government to restrict the freedoms of Australian citizens.

2. Taking Ivermectin chloroquine or hydroxychloroquine; inhaling or gargling bleach; inhaling hydrogen peroxide; snorting cocaine or drinking boiled betel leaves are NOT cures or approved treatments for COVID19.

3. The currently available vaccines represent the best efforts of current research and as such are as safe (if not slightly safer) than most new medications. They will not help your 5G reception, do not contain microchips to track you and are not part of a wider Government conspiracy.
So, it's still ok then to say that the Covid vaccine (all brands, of course) make you magnetic?

All tongue in cheek and a lighthearted post for a Friday funny.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
6 users like this post:
Old 10-09-2021, 10:57 AM   #14759
Metdevil

https://www.medsafe.govt.nz/COVID-19...-report-25.asp

Quote:
Up to and including 21 August 2021, a total of 37 deaths were reported to CARM after the administration of the Comirnaty vaccine...

To date, the observed number of deaths reported after vaccination is actually less than the expected number of natural deaths.
Confirmed: The Pfizer vaccine is safer than no vaccine at all.
Old 10-09-2021, 11:05 AM   #14760
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 View Post
I'm guessing that this is the reason why Shepparton hasn't been released from the restrictions along with other Vic regional areas, Trev.

To some extent, I agree. We will get to that point again, but given experiences in other parts of the world, as the Israel story showed, I just can't see that we're going to go from lockdowns and restrictions to having no restrictions overnight.

My reading of the tea leaves suggests that we will still have limits on gatherings, especially the major ones (ie, we won't be seeing 100,000 fans at the MCG any time soon), we'll still need to wear masks in high transmission risk locations, eg shopping centres, for quite some time after we achieve the 80% vaccination rate target.

As has been pointed out, this will be done to manage the number of cases that are ending up in our hospitals, ensuring that resources are available to get back to doing those activities hospitals normally do, like taking care of patients who are suffering other terminal illnesses or elective surgery, that have taken a back seat whilst we've dealt with the pandemic.

The other thing that may have been missed in all this, too is that we need to give our medical workers a break! The pandemic workload has been huge; I'd hazard a guess that many in that field need some time to be able to recuperate, take some leave, get back to a more normal workpace. I think we owe it those people to do our bit to afford them this. Vaccination alone won't cut it, especially once the virus starts spreading once restrictions are eased. But if we go 'open slather' so to speak, then they won't be afforded that opportunity.
Oh if anyone thinks the Road Map to Freedom will happen overnight they are living under a rock......
Gonna be a long long haul that is for sure.
Not sure you've seen this but here's the map.
https://www.nsw.gov.au/media-release...lly-vaccinated

Don't how all this will be getting policed but at the same time we the people are the duty of care in the big picture. Well those the majority that comply.
Alot on the news last night about how small business etc will manage the confrontation by people not vaxxed entering their premise's.
The Hotel/Club association say they are used to dealing with people pre covid not complying to rules in the past so they feel when the time comes they'll manage confrontational customers whereas a Hairdresser owner said it will be hard saying no to clients not vaxxed but rules are rules they want to open.

The black market copy opportunity of your double vaxxed certificate the software is being worked on to stifle this obviously.
They are saying it will be linked to our ServiceNSW (obviously every State will do similar I expect) app when we bar code scan our vaxxed certicate will be in view for the business to see for entering.

Just wow what were all gonna be going through moving ahead.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
2 users like this post:
Closed Thread