Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 09-05-2006, 09:05 PM   #1
b2tf
not here much anymore

Default What have you had to do?

Just wondering who has had to replace what on their Foci, and at what sort of kms.

For me the list unfortunately looks like this : :

* Brakes (front + rear) @ 75,000kms.
* Thermostat @ 40,000kms. (warranty)
* Passenger Seatbelt retractor @ 40,000kms (warranty)
* Radiator and Cooling System Flush @ 75,000kms.
* Alternator @ 75,000kms.

It may not look like much but believe me it all adds up :

Old 09-05-2006, 09:36 PM   #2
amlohac

i had my break pads changed at 30,000kms, i now have done 83,000kms and havent had to change them since. My transmission dropped its guts at around 15,000kms but that was cos the ford dealer i USED to take it too, put the WRONG trannie fluid in it and then it went undiagnosed for 6 months. I also had holes in radiator hoses, and hoses that just sucked so got them all replaced.
amlohac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2006, 02:28 PM   #3
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

My LR is a March '03 Build that's only done 30k and I've only had to to regular servicing. Updates to the ECU are still under warranty till September this year of which I've had several done to date.

Exterior Enhancements: ST170 Wheels, Richbrook Shorty Aerial, Euro-Spec Hatch Handle.

Performance Enhancements: Ate Callipers/EBC Rotors/EBC Greens Stuff Pads, ST170 Suspension, Herrod's Custom Tune, Ford Racing Coated Exhaust Manifold & Bespoke 2.25in Exhaust.

Awards: AFD '07 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '09 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '10 RSOC O/all Best Focus, AFD '10 CFC O/all Best Focus.
Fast Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2006, 02:59 PM   #4
Zetec20
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

so far...
clutch died at 11,000k's, replaced under warranty
wire from battery to starter motor fried at around 19,000k's, replaced under warranty
that's about the only problems i've had not caused by my mods
car now has 23,000k's on it, still going strong
Zetec20 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2006, 04:13 PM   #5
amlohac

did any of you guys get a real dirty look off the ford guys when y ou asked for an ecu update? The kinda look that says "ill say yes and do nothing because its not worth my time"
Old 11-05-2006, 05:24 PM   #6
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

No. Luckily everything turned out "hunky-dory".

Exterior Enhancements: ST170 Wheels, Richbrook Shorty Aerial, Euro-Spec Hatch Handle.

Performance Enhancements: Ate Callipers/EBC Rotors/EBC Greens Stuff Pads, ST170 Suspension, Herrod's Custom Tune, Ford Racing Coated Exhaust Manifold & Bespoke 2.25in Exhaust.

Awards: AFD '07 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '09 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '10 RSOC O/all Best Focus, AFD '10 CFC O/all Best Focus.
Fast Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2006, 08:04 PM   #7
WRC1AB
WRC1AB

Hi To all its been a few months since i posted something.

My car: ford focus Cl 1.8l 2003 ink blue.
Warranty expired in feb this year.

So far:
1. fual sensor at 20 000km (warranty).
2.two ECU updates so far that i know of.(warranty)
3.new brakes and pads at 40 000km got them myself saved $150 from what ford sell.
4.radiator clamp (warranty).
5.windscreen wipper (warranty).

Im not looking forword to the next falt.
(no warranty)=$$$ down the drain. Or should i say towords ford budget.
Car now ha 63 000km.
Nick
Old 11-05-2006, 10:03 PM   #8
Mick K.

Bought Aug 03 Focus in Dec 04 at 38000kms.

Now has 3500kms on the clock - but the real figure is about 54000km

Have had the fuel sender replaced and the dash CPU whatever failed and needed to be replaced. I think discs are due soon, but that is normal for European cars (Golf and Vectra previous cars also had short disc life)

I am about as happy with the Focus as I have been with any car. I have driven it pretty hard and it still give me good economy and reliability. The service I have received from the 2 Ford dealership servicing departments I have dealt with has been 100% pathetic and for this reason alone I will not even consider the new Zetec or XR5 as a replacement. But I am thinking of extending the warranty and keeping it for another year or two.

MK
Mick K. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2006, 10:14 PM   #9
Dark Horse
_Oo===oO_

Feb '02 LX 110,000 k's, nothing.
Mar '03 Zetec 100,000 k's, nothing.
Old 13-05-2006, 09:48 AM   #10
FocusLX06

Only have 8,000 k's on mine, haven't even had a proper service. No problems to report.
Old 13-05-2006, 03:18 PM   #11
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Done just over 71,000 to date. Bought it brand new in 2003 (late 2002 model). Problems/replacements listed with rough km's...

- Snapped engine mount at 15,000km, replaced twice under warranty until fixed.
- CPU reflash to attempt to fix engine braking issue, didn't really work
- Full set of tyres - 45,000km (Normal wear and tear)
- Brakes pads front and rear - 48,000km (Standard European short life)
- Front Discs - 48,000km (ditto)
- Fuel Sender - 55,000km (Warranty)
- Catalytic Converter died - 60,000km (Warranty THANK GOD)
- Clutch (60,000km) not warranty and have never once done a burnout...
- Boot gas strus replaced twice under warranty, have gone again... need to replace
- Numerous headlight bulbs replaced - honestly lost count (strange but happens)
- Probably other stuff I've forgotten but I still love it.

Everything that was costly was thankfully done under warranty. Brakes/Discs was expected, still not welcome though. Al 3 of our family's Europeans cars all came up at around 45,000 (Focus, Astra, Barina) for brakes. Tyres likewise on all at around 45,000km also. Mine would have lasted at least another 10,000km if it hadn't been my first decent handling car, but small price to pay for having some fun club/drive days.

So only realy cost beyond what is to be expected through normal wear and tear is the Clutch which was a hassle, wasn't impressed at all but yelling at the Dealer doesn't fix it, paying money does. I've never done a burnout in my life in this car, I just put it down to hard driving and almost exclusively city driving wearing it out. That the brakes and tyres also wore kinda supports it, but I still didn't think it should go so early.

Warranty has done its job on my car, few too many problems I just put down to early build of the model. My Dealer has been fantastic with me, great relationship with them. Has made the issues much less of a problem with their great support. Probably because I see them so often! Combination of regular services form high k's and the intermittent problems.
Old 15-05-2006, 01:27 AM   #12
amlohac

Most of you guys have had fuel sender problems? What exactly was the car doing for them to diagnose that? Im starting to think mine should have died if everyone elses had
Old 15-05-2006, 04:35 PM   #13
zetec
Zoom Zoom

The fuel guage stops working intermittently, might show empty when you've just filled up, but often when you turn off then restart it will fix itself. Minor problem really, fixed first time for everyone and always done under warranty so far because it seems to happend early. No guarantee it will fail, just has been common amongst members here so far.
Old 15-05-2006, 06:07 PM   #14
FOCUSonTHIS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
first time for everyone.
2nd time for me :P they had to kink my fuel lines when they put up my tank again and let fuel leak everywhere. But happy the fixed and relplaced everything again within 4 hours. GOOD JOB Ford serivce

2002 AUIII XR6
1995 EF Falcon XR6
2003 LR Focus Zetec
1989 KE Laser TX3
FOCUSonTHIS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2006, 08:21 PM   #15
amlohac

Ah good i havent had that problem yet........yet, being the key here.
Old 16-05-2006, 09:53 PM   #16
waldomatczak

My 2002 Focus has just run out of warranty for 2 mths and a water pump has gone $350 to buy will be installing it myself.
also replaced during warranty , burnt out starter motor, fuel gauge, otherwise a very good car
waldomatczak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2006, 02:58 AM   #17
amlohac

Doesnt anyones CD player turn itself of and on? Mine started doin it 2day.
Old 17-05-2006, 06:52 PM   #18
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by amlohac
Doesnt anyones CD player turn itself of and on? Mine started doin it 2day.
Yep. The bit you can remove off the front of it comes loose and doesnt make contact with the rest of it, so the unit thinks its sposed to turn off. I just bash it until it works.
Old 18-05-2006, 12:23 AM   #19
amlohac

hmm bashing...... sounds, totally unacceptable lol. NEW HEAD UNIT TIME!
Old 19-05-2006, 08:07 PM   #20
Zetec06
Just Beginning

Had mine a week, well, I've only had it for about 4 days but Ford Service has had it for 3...
Day 4 began with a 600k old car not starting, not fun. After it was towed back to the dealer (seeing your brand new car pulled onto a tow truck is a tear jerker) it started fine. They checked all the earthing points (apparently a common focus problem) and gave it back to me.
I picked it up and 5ks down the road, it stopped in the middle of a roundabout, also not fun. Again it was presented to Ford on the back of a tow truck.
Anyway, long story short, they eventually picked up it was a dodgy fuel pump and replaced it. I've only done about 15-20ks since I picked it up but, fingers crossed, no more problems...

Also, does anyone know anything about the elec window controls. Before my car went back to Ford it had one-touch up and down, now it's only one-touch down (I liked it when it was both and want it back that way). Also the universal close went screwy for a bit - not working at all, just working for back windows, etc. Seems to be right now though.
Zetec06 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2006, 08:47 PM   #21
orsest170
WRC Fanatic

Judging by some of these posts, it seems like I've been very lucky with my ST170. Only two minor issues to speak of:

Had a rattling cat shield at 20,000 km which was no big deal as my next mod was always going to be a RT high flow cat (which I promptly got).

Front rotors ($280 fitted) just two weeks back at 43,000 km, which was a real pain as I was just about to put it up for sale.

Well now it is up for sale, and while I'm very excited about my XR5T arriving, I'm also a bit sad to be parting with my little blue pocket rocket. It has been a fantastic car, and if it had a turbo I would have kept it a good while longer.
orsest170 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2006, 11:10 PM   #22
amlohac

Where did you get your new cat from dude? and how much?
Old 20-05-2006, 03:10 AM   #23
orsest170
WRC Fanatic

Mcnews Automotive in the US. Cost about $600 inc postage, so quite pricey. It does make a slight performance difference (about 7hp on an ST170), but I would only upgrade the cat if your OEM cat is dodgy, or as a final mod. There are better 'bang for your bucks' mods out there....
orsest170 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2006, 05:56 PM   #24
waldomatczak

Hi member's, getting very urgent need a diagram of the timming belt installation, can someone help please . Focus 2002 built September 1.8L

Last edited by waldomatczak; 24-05-2006 at 06:03 PM. Reason: make of car not shown
Old 25-05-2006, 12:35 AM   #25
amlohac

Go to ford and ask for a printout of the diagnostic diagrams they have on thier service computers. Thats the best i can think of for now, probably the quickest too.
Old 26-05-2006, 11:18 PM   #26
waldomatczak

Thank's mate, removing the rocker cover I worked it out, the rear cams have a slot which must be horozontal with the head.
Old 02-06-2006, 03:36 PM   #27
Talldude

had my rear brakes replaced at my 60,000k service why the hell do the rears wear down qiker then the fronts?
Talldude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2006, 03:38 PM   #28
Zetec20
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

did u reverse and slam on the brakes alot? lol
Zetec20 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2006, 12:47 AM   #29
zetec
Zoom Zoom

too many handbrake turns?
Old 03-06-2006, 10:41 AM   #30
Talldude

ummmm no lol.

im a very boring driver i hardly use my brakes at all i try to keep speed up around a corner and down shift to brake.

i hate using brakes.........
Talldude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post