Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 25-05-2005, 09:54 PM   #1
b2tf
not here much anymore

Default Window Tint - Am I getting ripped?!

Got a quote to do the Focus in darkest legal tint today - metallic stuff, Top of the line with a lifetime warranty against peeling, bubbling or any defects in the tint itself. All sounds good but when he quoted $380 for the Focus I thought that was a little excessive.

Im going to shop around but there is only one other place here that I know of who does window tinting, so is that a decent price?
Old 25-05-2005, 11:15 PM   #2
Kryton

$380 is the high end price. usually you can get the same thing with lifetime warranty for $250-$300.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2005, 09:31 AM   #3
whippet_zetec
Supes

but considering that window tint is completely asthetic and has limited value in keeping your car cool in summer (however is useful to stop people looking inside at night) one could say you might be being ripped just getting window tint.

If you are getting window tint to stop UV light, make your car cooler in summer then you are wasting your money as Australian Design Standard glass for automobiles is already UV resistant and if its to make your car cooler in summer then it doesnt work because most of the car is metal that absorbs heat and radiates it to your car anyway.

If you are getting window tint to make your car look cool, go for it
Old 26-05-2005, 10:07 AM   #4
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Price sounds a little high. Might be worthwhile going for a road trip and spending less.

I can recommend tint as a safety device after being the vicitim of some kids throwing handfuls of gravel at passing cars. Driver's window shattered, but the tint held the glass in place and prevented me from being covered in glass at 80kph...
Old 26-05-2005, 11:03 AM   #5
brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippet_zetec
but considering that window tint is completely asthetic and has limited value in keeping your car cool in summer (however is useful to stop people looking inside at night) one could say you might be being ripped just getting window tint.

If you are getting window tint to stop UV light, make your car cooler in summer then you are wasting your money as Australian Design Standard glass for automobiles is already UV resistant and if its to make your car cooler in summer then it doesnt work because most of the car is metal that absorbs heat and radiates it to your car anyway.

If you are getting window tint to make your car look cool, go for it
Not so sure about that. I got mine tinted over a year ago and it does wonders for keeping the car cooler in summer. You only need to hold you arm under the windscreen (untinted) and then move it to the side window and you immediately feel the difference. My car stays much cooler than my gf's car when it's parked in the same place and I'm not the only one who has noticed.

As for the cost, well it is a bit high (mine cost $300 from tintacar) so shop around, but remember even though places use the same stuff, there can be a big difference in how well it is put on and whether or not they will be prepared to fix it should a small bubble develop. I got a bubble the size of a small bug so they completely stripped it and re-did the job at no cost.
brother is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2005, 12:24 AM   #6
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: This member has made a few valuable contributions to the Forum in the Focus section, seems to know exactly what he is talking about with his posts, which are helpful and concise. 

Aust., there are a few tint places in Albury, send me a PM if you want Ph. numbers...
My brother actually had his AU tinted by Tintacar but was done through a local Ford dealer (the dealer got some other cars tinted as well), so I think the price was a little lower than usual.
Lower airbox removed, K&N Panel filter
Momo gear knob + boot + pedals, Ghia boot garnish, Zetec Chrome interior door handles
JVC KW-XR816 Headunit + more to come...

#Russ#Es# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2005, 12:52 AM   #7
richo77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tint it yourself if your game... its easier than they lead you to believe. You can buy ready cut kits from heaps of tinters and they will ship it to you.
richo77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2005, 11:17 AM   #8
b2tf
not here much anymore

Not game to do it myself, I want a top notch job too. Russ, I'll be in touch.
Old 27-05-2005, 11:23 AM   #9
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Richards
Tint it yourself if your game... its easier than they lead you to believe. You can buy ready cut kits from heaps of tinters and they will ship it to you.
Oh my God. Old VB commodores with puple bubblig poor fit tint come to mind after reading this comment!
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2005, 12:47 PM   #10
donno
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

About 2 weeks ago i was quoted $275 for Premier Tint's top line darkest legal quantum tint with a lifetime warranty on a falcon. Might wanna give them a ring.

Comming soon: T04Z, plenum, TrueTrac.
donno is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2005, 05:31 PM   #11
richo77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Seriously its not difficult! Not saying i would put it on my car though i have seen it done and the results are very good.

$200 for lifetime non purpling tint on a sedan is the cheapest price in perth.
richo77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post