Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 13-10-2015, 12:24 PM   #1
JClarke
Deaf Driver

Default 3 Door vs 5 Door Fiesta

In the meantime, I was just curious with your opinions with these fiestas. I had a 5 door WS fiesta, but which is better? 3 door or the 5 door?

Any differences? I notice that the 5 door didn't come with side skirts, when they have front and back skirts already dressed up, compared to the 3 door already have side skirts... anyone know why in this case?
Old 14-10-2015, 02:44 PM   #2
Ms_Jam

Default Re: 3 Door vs 5 Door Fiesta

I have a 3-door 2009 manual WS Zetec.

I think there is something in the argument that 3-door vehicles have a stronger jigsaw, so to speak, just as convertibles have a weaker one.

On the rare occasions I have hammered my little Fiesta, it has held together nicely - no sense of flex. At high speed, it stays glued to the road, so maybe the front and rear spoilers and the side skirts actually do something.

In my humble opinion, however, the main factors affecting performance are the fuel, the tyres and the oil.
Ms_Jam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2015, 12:13 PM   #3
JClarke
Deaf Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms_Jam View Post
I have a 3-door 2009 manual WS Zetec.

I think there is something in the argument that 3-door vehicles have a stronger jigsaw, so to speak, just as convertibles have a weaker one.

On the rare occasions I have hammered my little Fiesta, it has held together nicely - no sense of flex. At high speed, it stays glued to the road, so maybe the front and rear spoilers and the side skirts actually do something.

In my humble opinion, however, the main factors affecting performance are the fuel, the tyres and the oil.
I recall going up to 160 km/hr and I felt it it was too fast, and very light off the road. I was driving the 5 door, so the 3 door may have made a better difference....
Old 15-10-2015, 10:56 PM   #4
Pursya

Quote:
Originally Posted by JClarke View Post
I recall going up to 160 km/hr and I felt it it was too fast, and very light off the road. I was driving the 5 door, so the 3 door may have made a better difference....
I agree that 160kmh in the 5 door sees the vehicle go "light", which does affect the handling.
But I think a 3 door would be the same, unless it was an ST or Black with all the aero package that comes with those sporty models.
Remember, the ST in the USofA is a 5 door. And it gets rave reviews just like our 3 door ST.
I wonder how the 5 door base model compares to the 5 door Zetec, which has a bigger rear wing and a bit of skirt action, at 160kmh.
While my Zetec certainly changed its "on rails" handling at at speed, I still had confidence in the vehicle.
Would love to know if the base mode Instilled the same confidence.
Pursya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2015, 12:20 AM   #5
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I've got a povvo specification WS Fiesta CL 3 door, was my first car and it handles excellently, its still fun to blast up and over Mt Macedon in even if its lacking in power, sweet engine, awesome chassis, lots of fun.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2015, 02:22 PM   #6
JClarke
Deaf Driver

But then again, Pursya, these little zippy cars are still great cars to drive! I was just pondering between the 5 door and the 3 door when I come to look for a second hand Fiesta in the new year....

Big Damo, these CL models doesn't have these features Zetec have, I like Zetecs *angel face*
This user likes this post:
Old 20-10-2015, 05:19 PM   #7
xurbanx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Head says 5 door because it's convenient and practical.
Heart says screw it, go the 3 door
This user likes this post:
Old 21-10-2015, 12:36 PM   #8
Ms_Jam

Quote:
5 door because it's convenient and practical
Depends on your point of view.

The 2-door idea is very European, Teutonic even — why worry about childproof locks in the back, when you can literally trap the kids in there?
Ms_Jam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2015, 10:37 AM   #9
WOLF
Track Red XY

3Door is the go. Just got a 2015 ST for the wife to play with and it's a blast!
Deceptively spacious in the back. I'm 6 2" and with driver seat pushed right back, had a passenger 5 11" sit behind comfortably without his knees even touching the seat!
This car is so much fun, so friggin light and no lag its a weapon:-)
WOLF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2015, 12:23 AM   #10
Pursya

As pointed out previously, the USA ST is a five door and gets the same rave reviews you just gave your new baby.
I assume the 5 door is carrying a bit more baby fat but also has a longer wheelbase.
Would love both versions to get the all wheel drive treatment.
With the latest Focus RS being AWD I would hope this means the proposed Fiesta RS is similarly equipped.
Now that will be some car!
Pursya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post